Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Still some doubt about Reds and Sarasota

Still some doubt about Reds and Sarasota

There is a 10 million dollar gap in funding that was supposed to be made up by private investors. They don't have those investors yet. Both the City and the Reds have "out" clauses.

http://www.ballparkwatch.com/
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Still some doubt about Reds and Sarasota

Boy, I hope they get it done.

I'd hate to see them go somewhere else.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I'm somewhat torn. Sarasota is 4 hours away for me. If they went to Vero, it would be almost an hour closer. But if the went to Bonita Springs (one of the places luring Indians) it would be over 5.....

I think the Arizona option is gone for now......

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I hadn't really heard about Vero being an option. Is that really in play or is it just assumed that they'll try to lure anyone they can now that the Dodgers will train in Arizona? Is it still considered a good facility after all these years?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

FWIW - the Arizona Sports Authority & the city of Goodyear have made noise that the Indians new facility will be built & designed with the option of adding a 2nd team down the road.

I have no doubts that teams like the Reds & the Orioles will use that as leverage to make sure they get what they want in Florida in regards to facilities, but I highly doubt any more teams will be making the trip west to AZ.

Vero has mixed reviews as a facility these days. The ballpark itself is a little "old school" to say the least. I didn't see the practice facilities.

If Sarasota falls thru, then I assume the other Florida sites that were in the game recently, get back in. For 48 hours, it looked like Orioles might not stay in Ft Lauderdale, and the Orioles drove up the coast and talked to Vero.

Vero claims to be talking to "other clubs". I'm not sure who/why they are talking to anyone, but if I'm the Reds, I'm working a backup plan just in case Sarasota falls thru.

Vero is open in 2008. Bonita Springs would have to build something. And the Indians had been considering a sharing arrangement with Braves in Orlando. Could Bonita build something in 10 months if Sarasota fall apart? I have my doubts.

So Vero and/or Orlando could be new permanent homes or stopgaps to Bonita Springs.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-03-2007 at 02:27 PM.

As expected the State portion was approved yesterday.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Vero has mixed reviews as a facility these days. The ballpark itself is a little "old school" to say the least. I didn't see the practice facilities.

If Sarasota falls thru, then I assume the other Flordida sites that were in the game recently, get back in. For 48 hours, it looked like Orioles might not stay in Ft Lauderdale, and the Orioles drove up the coast and talked to Vero.

Vero claims to be talking to "other clubs". I'm not sure who/why they are talking to anyone, but if I'm the Reds, I'm working a backup plan just in case Sarasota falls thru.

Vero is open in 2008. Bonita Springs would have to build something. And the Indians had been considering a sharing arrangement with Braves in Orlando. Could Bonita build something in 10 months if Sarasota fall apart? I have my doubts.

So Vero and/or Orlando could be new permanent homes or stopgaps to Bonita Springs.

The Vero beach Minor League facilites are incredible. Off the top of my head I can't think of another team on par with them. The Yankees, Mariners/Padres and Mets have nice facilites. The Pirates used to but that was 12-15 years ago.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I want the Rockford Reds back. It's a shame I wasn't old enough to be interested when they were there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I want the Rockford Reds back. It's a shame I wasn't old enough to be interested when they were there.
    I lived 80 miles north of Rockford when they were there and although I tried a couple of times, I never made it down to see them. I would definitely have made the trip if I had known at the time it was just a 1-year stop.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?