Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #35 prospect for 2013?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beau Amaral

0 0%
  • Aristides Aquino

0 0%
  • Theo Bowe

1 2.78%
  • Sean Buckley

4 11.11%
  • Nick Christiani

0 0%
  • Tim Crabbe

0 0%
  • Brandon Dailey

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

3 8.33%
  • Josh Fellhauer

9 25.00%
  • Mason Felt

0 0%
  • Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • Jeremy Kivel

2 5.56%
  • Devin Lohman

1 2.78%
  • Chris Manno

1 2.78%
  • Travis Mattair

0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Daniel Paula

0 0%
  • Juan Perez

1 2.78%
  • Denis Phipps

1 2.78%
  • Daniel Piggott

0 0%
  • Radhames Quezada

0 0%
  • Josh Ravin

1 2.78%
  • Carlos Sanchez

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

5 13.89%
  • Mark Serrano

1 2.78%
  • Josh Smith

1 2.78%
  • Pedro Villarreal

1 2.78%
  • Zach Vincej

4 11.11%
  • Other (Please Name)

0 0%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #35 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #35 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart
    16) David Vidal
    17) Seth Mejias-Brean
    18) Kyle Lotzkar
    19) Jeff Gelalich
    20) Ryan LaMarre
    21) Jonathan Reynoso
    22) Amir Garrett
    23) Kyle Waldrop
    24) Ryan Wright
    25) Drew Cisco
    26) Bryson Smith
    27) Sal Romano
    28) Jacob Constante
    29) Gabriel Rosa
    30) Carlos Contreras
    31) Juan Silva
    32) Jonathan Moscot
    33) Pedro Diaz
    34) Drew Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #35 prospect for 2013?

Josh Fellhauer. Probably just a platoon outfielder, but as a LHH, he would be the major part of it and he can play LF/CF/RF.

Having ridden the Hayes train through a lot of stations, I probably ought to be consistent and go with Chris Manno. His numbers and track make him a lot like an other-handed Hayes. But I can't resist Juan Perez any longer.

Our Juan Perez appears to be the 18th to represent that name in the minor leagues. There's a chance he'll serve it better than most. Dude's only 21, and he looks to be done with Dayton. He did fairly well there last year after a very, very slow start. Over two pro seasons he sports a .777 OPS while playing almost exclusively shortstop. I'd expect him to see considerable time at second base this year; but still. He's shown some speed (24 SB last year) and power both (9 home runs in Dayton isn't bad for a 20-year-old middle infielder). There seems to be a lot to like.

I'll stump for Zach Vincej again.

At Pepperdine, he was named the Brooks Wallace Award winner, as best shortstop in collegiate baseball, and was the West Coast Conference's Defensive Player of the Year. Hit .339, while leading his team in doubles his last year with the Waves.

Last year in Billings, in only 163 PAs, he went .336/.393/.434. Small sample size, league adjustment, and all, but that's a nice slashline for a SS who can pick it.

I'm with you Bill.... my votes already in for Vincej

Fellhauer. Then Devin Lohman who is a solid ballplayer, although likely a major league backup. I'm picking Lohman over Brodie Greene, who also could be a major league utility man.

Lohman has had some very good OBP years so far, and seems like a scrappy player. I've read some nice things about him, although not on this site.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-18-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Sean Buckley and Brodie Greene had down seasons in 2012, but are solid prospects and future MLB players. Lohman as well. ALL 3 should be ahead of anyone left.

9. Likes:

Steve Selsky here as I switch again, proving that I have no loyalty whatsoever. Selsky started slowly at Dayton but was picking up the pace. According to FirstInning.com, his three monthly wOBA in Dayton were, in order, .297-.310-.348. His LD% was a healthy 20%. So he was picking up the pace over there.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Steve Selsky here as I switch again, proving that I have no loyalty whatsoever. Selsky started slowly at Dayton but was picking up the pace. According to FirstInning.com, his three monthly wOBA in Dayton were, in order, .297-.310-.348. His LD% was a healthy 20%. So he was picking up the pace over there.
    Selsky had a very good year. He's a low draft choice, something like 33rd round, and I'm voting for guys like Fellhauer, Lohman, Greene, who are more highly touted prospects. Lohman was a third rounder, Greene a fourth, Fellhauer a seventh.

At this point I'm not sure the Reds see Selsky as a serious contender for the big leagues, but obviously that can change over time. He was Reds minor league player of the month in August, a real feather in his cap, I understand the votes he is getting here.

Yes, I know draft position doesn't mean everything. At this stage, I tend to stick with the more highly touted guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'll stump for Zach Vincej again.

At Pepperdine, he was named the Brooks Wallace Award winner, as best shortstop in collegiate baseball, and was the West Coast Conference's Defensive Player of the Year. Hit .339, while leading his team in doubles his last year with the Waves.

Last year in Billings, in only 163 PAs, he went .336/.393/.434. Small sample size, league adjustment, and all, but that's a nice slashline for a SS who can pick it.
    What exactly is the case against this guy? Zach is on my radar between 35-40.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I have him below a couple of the guys who were on the list last year, mostly out of deference, since they're all very close. Shortstops with a hot glove (his main value) and a decent hit tool definitely have value, but the hit tool is one of the hardest to get a grip on, even with larger sample sizes. See Ronald Torreyes and Dave Sappelt, who hit like maniacs in their time with the organization but have struggled mightily in the Chicago farms. Next year should definitely help solidify his value more.

Sean Buckley is my pick here. The biggest case against him is his K rate, which is horrible, but not the lost cause that Duran is. The poor season he had wasn't even particularly bad, given that he spent time recovering from appendicitis and was playing in an incredibly pitcher-centric environment. Not many players left on the list have his power potential.
    Last edited by The DARK; 03-20-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Some don't think his bat will play; lacks pop, low walk rate, had a tough sophomore year at Pepperdine.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post

Sean Buckley is my pick here. The biggest case against him is his K rate, which is horrible, but not the lost cause that Duran is. The poor season he had wasn't even particularly bad, given that he spent time recovering from appendicitis and was playing in an incredibly pitcher-centric environment. Not many players left on the list have his power potential.
    Dayton is rather neutral. The league as a whole is a little pitcher friendly, but Dayton plays at a park that is a little hitter friendly.

Josh Fellhauer, come on down! He some support earlier and then kinda lagged for awhile. Now he has finally made the honor roll.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dayton is rather neutral. The league as a whole is a little pitcher friendly, but Dayton plays at a park that is a little hitter friendly.
    Huh. I suppose that speaks towards how dry the Dayton crop was last year.

Turn Off Ads?