Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

Re: Joey Votto - 'I want every single RBI, every single run'

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Not sure where to post his, so I'll put it here.

Joey just lost track of how many outs there were in the 7th inning of tonight's game.

I'm a huge Votto fan, but there is something going on with him. Something's not quite right.
    I'd give him a break. He's flying drones over Syria with his mind right now.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Do we really have to microanalyze every single thing Votto does as if it's proof of some inner conflict or issue? Is it bad that he lost track of the number of outs? It's certainly not good. But let's not pretend he's the first star to ever do so, nor will he be the last.

4. Likes:

RedEye (08-26-2013)

Joey just lost track of how many outs there were in the 7th inning of tonight's game.

I'm a huge Votto fan, but there is something going on with him. Something's not quite right.
    A mental lapse like that, in that situation, is inexcusable.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    Do we really have to microanalyze every single thing Votto does as if it's proof of some inner conflict or issue? Is it bad that he lost track of the number of outs? It's certainly not good. But let's not pretend he's the first star to ever do so, nor will he be the last.
    Dude, I love ya, but this is not microanalysis. This is macro, as in very often, in the field and on the bases.

It's a trend, don't you think so, doc?
    sorry we're boring

Normally, I'd give him a break on this. But his defense and TOOTBLANS immediately come to mind regarding this season and makes you wonder about his focus. But I guess as long as you're OPSing 900+, it doesn't matter what else you do.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    A mental lapse like that, in that situation, is inexcusable.
    Sound like he should be written up and a letter placed in his personnel file by Human Resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Sound like he should be written up and a letter placed in his personnel file by Human Resources.
    Whatever it takes.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Go Gators!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

We're all Joey Votto fans here, and that lapse did NOT cost them the game, but it's time to ask, really, why Votto is daydreaming out there on the field and the base paths. It's been all year long. I watch nearly every single game.

I'm sure I will catch hell here. Votto did not give up 8 runs tonight. I'm not a Votto hater, by any means. He's the best player the Reds have. But he's been off this year, in the field and on the base paths.
    sorry we're boring

12. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (08-26-2013),mth123 (08-27-2013),Norm Chortleton (08-26-2013),OnBaseMachine (08-26-2013),redsfaninbsg (08-26-2013)

We're all Joey Votto fans here, and that lapse did NOT cost them the game, but it's time to ask, really, why Votto is daydreaming out there on the field and the base paths. It's been all year long. I watch nearly every single game.

I'm sure I will catch hell here. Votto did not give up 8 runs tonight. I'm not a Votto hater, by any means. He's the best player the Reds have. But he's been off this year, in the field and on the base paths.
    Not that I actually think this was the case today, but Votto has mentioned that August is particularly tough for him mentally given the anniversary of his father's passing.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Everyone makes mistakes in even bigger games and bigger situations than tonight. No one is perfect. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought Fred Merkle was playing 1st base tonight.

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (08-27-2013)

I'm not unhappy with Votto's performance this year, and I'm not sure we need an explanation for it other than "sometimes players don't play as well as they have in the past."

That said, if I were to wildly speculate about psychological reasons, I would say that Joey is pressing because he's a perfectionist and it kills him not produce like he thinks he should. I still remember that press conference when he signed the big contract. Most guys would have been all smiles, but Votto was pretty serious and said something like "I'm just going to try my best. I can't guarantee anything." I think we can all be pretty sure that no one is as upset about this season as the guy himself.

All of this goes to show, of course, my other theory -- that Joey Votto, in addition to being the best current Reds player by far, is also an existentialist hero for the 21st century.

Turn Off Ads?