Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics thread

Re: Beijing Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Interesting. The Serbian team is filing a protest about the end of the Phelps race. I am not sure what they can protest about the results from an electronic touch pad.
    The results stand.

The Serbians also think Adam Dunn strikes out to much. Geeks with computers are evil.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dara Torres smokes the field in the Womens 50m Freestyle prelim.

She holds up the race's start because she noticed another competitors suit was ripped.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    #7 USA women's foil team beat #2 Poland

Foiled again, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Phelps gave me chills....I don't get chills watching people swim...that is magical!

Super slow-mo on the finish - I think this confirms it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=10891

WOW

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

US looking impressive, but still sloppy at times against Spain. 18 point lead approaching halftime.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

US Water Polo has just knocked off the number 1 Croatians by two goals. Not quite Miracle on Ice caliber, but still pretty exciting.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I watched the opening ceremonies with my wife and came away absolutely impressed.

Then of course like clockwork stories like this keep seeping out into the media

China used a "pretty" 9 year old to lip sync the national anthem while another 7 year old girl they didn't deem camera friendly actually sung it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

And it was too smoggy to actually fire off fireworks on opening night - so they used CGI and NBC just plugged it into the coverage. They didn't actually shoot off any fireworks.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...nts-faked.html

I wonder what other parts of the games has been a total facade?
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 08-16-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I watched the opening ceremonies with my wife and came away absolutely impressed.

Then of course like clockwork stories like this keep seeping out into the media

China used a "pretty" 9 year old to lip sync the national anthem while another 7 year old girl they didn't deem camera friendly actually sung it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

And it was too smoggy to actually fire off fireworks on opening night - so they used CGI and NBC just plugged it into the coverage. They didn't actually shoot off any fireworks.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...nts-faked.html

I wonder what other parts of the games has been a total facade?
    Not that this made the Opening Ceremonies broadcast or anything, but did anyone read the NY Times article about the girl who was scheduled to be the featured dancer during the event?

Apparently, she was the best dancer of her kind in all of China. So much, in fact, that she was to be the only "solo" dancer to perform during the program.

During one of the last rehearsals before the Opening Ceremony, she accidentally fell down some 11 foot deep cylindrical shaft and landed on her back and head. When the girl regained consciousness, she learned she would be paralized for life.

If that were not enough of a tragedy, the Chinese government AND the Olympic planners forbade anyone to breath news of the tragedy. The Opening Ceremonies telecast came and went without so much as a whisper about her accident.

The only reason that the NY Times got the story was because one of the girl's family members leaked the story to the U.S. media.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Not that this made the Opening Ceremonies broadcast or anything, but did anyone read the NY Times article about the girl who was scheduled to be the featured dancer during the event?

Apparently, she was the best dancer of her kind in all of China. So much, in fact, that she was to be the only "solo" dancer to perform during the program.

During one of the last rehearsals before the Opening Ceremony, she accidentally fell down some 11 foot deep cylindrical shaft and landed on her back and head. When the girl regained consciousness, she learned she would be paralized for life.

If that were not enough of a tragedy, the Chinese government AND the Olympic planners forbade anyone to breath news of the tragedy. The Opening Ceremonies telecast came and went without so much as a whisper about her accident.

The only reason that the NY Times got the story was because one of the girl's family members leaked the story to the U.S. media.
    I hadn't heard that - I had to dig up the link and read it. What a tragic story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/sp.../15dancer.html

4 medals for Canada now suckers! In one day!

The comeback is on.

It's almost time for the Michael Phelps show....again

Wow....just wow. I think he set ANOTHER world record

Amazing. 8 gold medals for Phelps. Will probably never be duplicated.

Turn Off Ads?