Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons to make history

Dragons to make history

Saw this and thought it was very interesting.
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...=news_farmalmc

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dragons to make history

Congrats to Dayton -- the greatest minor league baseball town in America.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

A great year for this to happen as this team is absolutely loaded with prospects.

Last check I counted 12 prospects that could be considered good enough to be in the top 20 of the entire Reds system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    A great year for this to happen as this team is absolutely loaded with prospects.

Last check I counted 12 prospects that could be considered good enough to be in the top 20 of the entire Reds system.
    Which 12?
    Corcino
    Hamilton
    Rodriguez
    Torreyes
    Duran

I wouldn't have Barnhart or Lotzkar in my top 20 right now. Josh Smith has great numbers, but I wouldn't put him in the Top 20. He has solid stuff, but as a starter I don't see him being special. As a reliever I think he could be a good one, but he won't close so the value isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which 12?
    Corcino
    Hamilton
    Rodriguez
    Torreyes
    Duran

I wouldn't have Barnhart or Lotzkar in my top 20 right now. Josh Smith has great numbers, but I wouldn't put him in the Top 20. He has solid stuff, but as a starter I don't see him being special. As a reliever I think he could be a good one, but he won't close so the value isn't there.
    Drew Hayes has some awesome numbers, imho. 30 games, 38 IP, 14 hits, 57 Ks, 13 saves and a 0.94 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Drew Hayes has some awesome numbers, imho. 30 games, 38 IP, 14 hits, 57 Ks, 13 saves and a 0.94 ERA.
    He does have awesome numbers, and heck, he even has good stuff.... but control issues need to be worked on and he doesn't project to be a closer. Non closer relievers simply don't have high value in terms of prospect lists because the idea is that a lot of guys can be 6-8th inning guys, where as there aren't nearly as many guys that can close at the big league level. As of right now, I would only have one reliever in my Top 20 and that would be Boxberger. And he would be outside of the Top 10 and he is a guy who is flat out dominating at the highest levels of the minors and can throw up to 98 MPH (though he doesn't work there).

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Which 12?
    Corcino
    Hamilton
    Rodriguez
    Torreyes
    Duran

As you mentioned, the big 5:

Corcino
    Duran
    Hamilton
    Torreyes
    Rodriguez

Then:

Lotzkar
    Vidal
    Barnhart
    Josh Smith
    Hayes
    Renken
    Gerson

I like D'Anna too.

I'm sure 12 might be a slight exaggeration, but I really think those 12 (+ D'Anna) are all solid and could be considered decent prospects. I think coming into the year, Lotzkar was ranked #10 by BA and #15 by our own Redszone. He's healthy (knock on wood) and has some decent peripheral numbers after 5 starts. Smith and Hayes might be a little old for low A, but they have been lights out. Overall a ton of talent down there and a ton to be excited about going forward.

He does have awesome numbers, and heck, he even has good stuff.... but control issues need to be worked on and he doesn't project to be a closer. Non closer relievers simply don't have high value in terms of prospect lists because the idea is that a lot of guys can be 6-8th inning guys, where as there aren't nearly as many guys that can close at the big league level. As of right now, I would only have one reliever in my Top 20 and that would be Boxberger. And he would be outside of the Top 10 and he is a guy who is flat out dominating at the highest levels of the minors and can throw up to 98 MPH (though he doesn't work there).
    I've only checked his stats a few times, and don't recall his walks being high.( a reference to the control issue) He is from a local town, about 35 miles from me, and pitched for a Kitty League team, that was in my town, for a couple years, before going to Cape Cod. I thought he was more of a starter, but can see where being a reliever, will get him innings, and he can work on things. Much like his college teammate, David Price. I still think he can be a productive pro, and help this team in a couple years, if it even takes him that long.

I've only checked his stats a few times, and don't recall his walks being high.( a reference to the control issue) He is from a local town, about 35 miles from me, and pitched for a Kitty League team, that was in my town, for a couple years, before going to Cape Cod. I thought he was more of a starter, but can see where being a reliever, will get him innings, and he can work on things. Much like his college teammate, David Price. I still think he can be a productive pro, and help this team in a couple years, if it even takes him that long.
    Fun fact of the day on Drew Hayes: In 2005, he was Mr. Football in the state of Tennessee. Finished with the second-most passing yards in state history.

Bought my tickets for this game about a month ago, can't wait to be there when they break the record.

He has 18 walks in 36.2 innings. That is a lot of walks. It may have been hidden at a glance because he has 57 strikeouts as well, so his K/BB is very strong still. But that many walks is a concern as he moves up and guys better understand both the strikezone and better understand how to read pitches quicker and lay off the ones that break/run out of the zone.

I don't know if I would agree with "flat out dominating," but he's been very good this year. He still walks too many batters to be dominating in my opinion, but he makes up for it with Ks and a low HR rate.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't know if I would agree with "flat out dominating," but he's been very good this year. He still walks too many batters to be dominating in my opinion, but he makes up for it with Ks and a low HR rate.
    He struggled with walks in April. Since April ended, he has 8 walks and 43 strikeouts while facing 104 batters. That is a strong walk rate. April was rough in the walk department though.

He struggled with walks in April. Since April ended, he has 8 walks and 43 strikeouts while facing 104 batters. That is a strong walk rate. April was rough in the walk department though.
    That's true, but I'm more referring to his career walk numbers in the minors, which aren't "dominating" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    That's true, but I'm more referring to his career walk numbers in the minors, which aren't "dominating" in my opinion.
    I wouldn't be too concerned with his career walk numbers. He has made note of the fact that he wasn't used to preparing for a bullpen role last year and it really messed with him. This year has been an incredibly different story.

Turn Off Ads?