Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Nick Travieso

What are his stats?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds broadcast says they will be talking to him about 8 PM

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...ound-analysis/

Cool article about Travieso's mechanics, along with some of the other first round arms. Not sure if it's been posted

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is a high schooler with two above average pitches right now and a feeling of a change up. That doesn't profile as a reliever.
    And there is no guarantee he ever gets the feel for it. A bit risky to take a guy #14 overall that has only 2 pitches IMO.

Doug they (guys who do this for a living) said it on the broadcast, it's in writing by others who also do it for a living, your argument is with Callis, Mayo and a few others.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And there is no guarantee he ever gets the feel for it. A bit risky to take a guy #14 overall that has only 2 pitches IMO.

Doug they (guys who do this for a living) said it on the broadcast, it's in writing by others who also do it for a living, your argument is with Callis, Mayo and a few others.
    Nearly every high school pitcher ever has had two pitches with a feel for a third. Every one of them. 18 year old kids don't have three MLB quality pitches. They just don't.

Callis had the kid going 20th.

And while I don't "do it for a living", I certainly do it for part of my living.

I think part of the "reliever" talk simply comes from the fact that this kid only started this season because his dad wanted to protect his arm from being overused. He has clean mechanics. He has a good body. He has three pitches and two of them are really good. Nothing at all about that says reliever.

Nearly every high school pitcher ever has had two pitches with a feel for a third. Every one of them. 18 year old kids don't have three MLB quality pitches. They just don't.

And while I don't "do it for a living", I certainly do it for part of my living.

I think part of the "reliever" talk simply comes from the fact that this kid only started this season because his dad wanted to protect his arm from being overused. He has clean mechanics. He has a good body. He has three pitches and two of them are really good. Nothing at all about that says reliever.
    Callis also had him ranked much lower than that did he not? That was merely a prediction IIRC, as if he knew some other team had interest in him around that spot.

Yeah I know you do Doug but you have your blindspots and they are usual the moment someone puts a Reds Jersey on.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Which I'm thrilled about. Seriously. How many parents put limitations on their kid so they don't blow out their arm?? We may be thanking his dad later.

Callis also had him ranked much lower than that did he not? That was merely a prediction IIRC, as if he knew some other team had interest in him around that spot.

Yeah I know you do Doug but you have your blindspots and they are usual the moment someone puts a Reds Jersey on.
    I have to be honest, I don't agree. I actually think Doug had more biases when he first started posting here. I think he's been mostly fair and objective in recent times. I've regularly seen him talk about Hamilton's warts and he's considered to be the best prospect in the Reds system currently.

And Doug was the biggest Stubbs fan on the whole board for a long time. Even now, I see Doug conceding his warts.

I just think your assessment is a bit unfair.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Callis had him ranked 30th coming into the draft and noted he had a lot of helium coming into the draft.

As for my blindspot.... I still seem to be one of the only people on this board who still ranks Tony Cingrani outside of the Reds top 4 starting pitching prospects (not even counting Travieso, who I would also rank ahead of him) because I think he has a good chance to wind up as a reliever. I haven't been as high on Billy Hamilton as most of the national publications. I just call it like I see it. Nothing at this point on Travieso's resume suggests he is a reliever at all. Not his repertoire, not his mechanics, not his control, not his size.

Interesting that the Reds went for another high schooler who was considered a fast riser at the draft. That was the story with Mesoraco as well. I wonder if Buckley & co. put a relatively strong emphasis on most recent info for HSers compared to others.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Zero percent of my income is derived from this opinion, but I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen "feel for a developing changeup" on a high school pitcher's scouting report; and that includes a whole bunch of very highly touted pitchers. If there was a guarantee he would get a feel for it, he wouldn't have even got close to the 14th pick.

Like most at first I wasn't thrilled with the pick but since made a 180 and really like the pick. I especially like that his arm doesn't have a lot of wear and tear. Also, I began to like the pick even more after hearing him speak during the Reds game and with Lance McAllister. He is very well spoken I can't believe people were bashing him after that mock interview during the draft saying things like he has a few DUIs in his future.

Quote Originally Posted by djc27osu View Post
    Like most at first I wasn't thrilled with the pick but since made a 180 and really like the pick. I especially like that his arm doesn't have a lot of wear and tear. Also, I began to like the pick even more after hearing him speak during the Reds game and with Lance McAllister. He is very well spoken I can't believe people were bashing him after that mock interview during the draft saying things like he has a few DUIs in his future.
    I was impressed as well. After watching Buxton fumble a few words out fielding the most obvious questions in the world on national television, I like knowing Travieso has a head on his shoulders. And the bulldog mentality gets tagged on a lot of stocky, hard throwing pitchers, but he definitely seems to have that competitive streak in him. I loved the quote, "That's my plate!"

From reading the reports it seems like Travieso is a guy who best case develops into a top of the rotation starter, worst case is a nasty closer. I can live with that. He may not have the polish of some of the college pitchers that were taken but it seems like he has a very high ceiling. To be throwing 99 at 18 is pretty impressive.

Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?