Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chemistry Couldn't Be Much Worse...

Worth The Wait

The Chemistry Couldn't Be Much Worse...

Lots of people define "chemistry" as having something to do with how much the players like each other, hang out, etc. I've never defined it like that. To me "chemistry" in sports all stems from how one area of a team responds when another needs help. In football, good team chemistry would be when a powerful offense gets shuts down but their defense steps up and finds a way to win a 13-10 game.

In baseball, it's similar---last year's Reds were very good in this department but no team I'ver ever seen had it like that 1999 team did. On the days when Larkin and Vaughn didn't hit, you could bet that Taubensee or Pokey would.... If our starter got lit up, that is the day the offense would explode.

This year, the Reds have been outright dreadful in those types of situations. It just isn't there and the whole pythag stuff kind of bears it out.

If you have a really talented team top to bottom with few holes then chemistry isn't going to matter a ton because you will win so many games on superiority of talent alone. And if you are like the Giants and have one area of the team (starting rotation) that is so amazing and so reliable then you lean very little on the rest of the team and in turn, their jobs seem easier.

The Reds have a decent roster with solid talent and a good core of younger players both in the bigs and on the farm. But there are holes as well-- and some big ones. For a team like the Reds to win you need a little magic mixed in and this team just does not have it.

I watch all these games, all these close losses, all this tough luck situations and I keep thinking it's BOUND to turn sometime... But much like the guy at the roulette wheel who thinks there is no way it could possibly hit black again...

It's just not there. Those first five games of the year were extremely misleading.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Chemistry Couldn't Be Much Worse...

No one EVER makes a thread like this after a win. Ever.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    No one EVER makes a thread like this after a win. Ever.
    Of course not. Message boards are for fans, and by nature, fans are emotional. Having said that, with over half the season gone and the Reds stagnating at .500 in the worst division in baseball, I don't think it's just a knee-jerk reaction from one loss.

The Reds problems have nothing to do with chemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think the fact that the Reds are one of the higher scoring teams in the league yet in 6 of their last 9 losses have failed to score more than three runs is pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I think the fact that the Reds are one of the higher scoring teams in the league yet in 6 of their last 9 losses have failed to score more than three runs is pretty telling.
    Of what? Chemistry!?

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Of what? Chemistry!?
    If you are looking for a 100% way to measure chemistry (however you define it) then of course you aren't going to find it. In that case you may simply not believe it exists, which is fine--- we just differ there.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    If you are looking for a 100% way to measure chemistry (however you define it) then of course you aren't going to find it. In that case you may simply not believe it exists, which is fine--- we just differ there.
    I believe chemistry exists. I just don't think anything that happened is "telling". I honestly don't know what you mean by telling.

How does the Reds inability to win a close game have anything to do with how much they like each other?

For the record, this is nearly the same team as last year. The chemistry is the same then as it is now, and I think we do have good chemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

How does the Reds inability to win a close game have anything to do with how much they like each other?

For the record, this is nearly the same team as last year. The chemistry is the same then as it is now, and I think we do have good chemistry.
    With a lot of Regression to the mean. We were so good last year against the bad teams that ANYONE could have told you that wasn't going to happen again, that Scott Rolen another year older couldn't possibly repeat the Renaissance season he had, we didn't improve the team in any department and hoped to repeat a lot of the "little luck" situations again.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

This is one of the few times I disagree with you. But for me, I think the poor chemistry is the result of poor play from some and lack of moves from the FO.

I wonder if Votto goes home and fumes at night, knowing that he is the only consistant position player. He feels the pressure on his shoulders. He's been slamming his helmet and bat, and just flat out angry at an all time high this year. I'm guessing he is desperate for some changes. His frustration can wear on others as well.

Now, I'm not saying we are .500 because of the chemistry, but I really think it is horrible right now. It's tough when you get nothing from SS, you have 3 different LF'ers, and the one that plays the best tends to sit the most. Cueto is getting super frustrated with pitching great games and not getting the W's. The dissapointment among the fan base may be effecting them too.

Regardless, things aren't good right now, and there are a ton of issues, but chemistry I'd say is one.

Don't know where this assumption comes from, especially because the captain of the All-World chemistry team is Orlando Cabrera, and he is gone. Essentially replaced by the emotionless and personality-less Renteria. Also, there are two unresolved position battles nearly halfway through the season. That can't help at all.

Just because others are the same, doesn't mean they have the same chemistry. I certainly don't believe Gomes is bringing the same energy he did last year, because he hasn't had that same impact. There's little doubt in my mind that his lack of success/playing has hurt this teams "mojo."

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I wonder if Votto goes home and fumes at night, knowing that he is the only consistant position player.
    There are two other postion player all stars on the team, FWIW.

Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I believe chemistry is just something warm and fuzzy that some folks like to cling to and talk about when a talented team is playing well.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 07-05-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Turn Off Ads?