Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone explain this to me

Re: Someone explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not a fan at all of Bakers managing style. In fact, I think it is quite poor. But 15 games is an incredible amount of games for a manager to be responsible for. 5 games, I can get behind. 15 though, that would be like saying the Reds were a 112 win team last year. They were real good, but they weren't that good.
    I can agree with that b/c I was just throwing a number out there but I honestly do think he has costs us atleast 10 games b/c of his bone head moves in years past.Yes I do think we were a better team than are record showed.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tony Perez got fired after 44 games.

Hopefully Dusty doesn't last that long this year, unforgivable how he sabotaged the Chapman starting experiment by throwing the organization under the bus.

Will never forgive him for that, and will no longer support him

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I can agree with that b/c I was just throwing a number out there but I honestly do think he has costs us atleast 10 games b/c of his bone head moves in years past.Yes I do think we were a better team than are record showed.
    You make it sound like a science and there's an exact way to manage. Patent it and every team will buy it from you and win 10 more games. Is that what you're saying?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    You make it sound like a science and there's an exact way to manage. Patent it and every team will buy it from you and win 10 more games. Is that what you're saying?
    I don't know if theres an exact way BUT there is definintely a better way to manage than what Dusty is doing right now.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I know its early but my patience is wearing thin with Baker.Every year he cost's us 15 or more games b/c of his awful managing.Every now and then in years past he would take a brain fart and completely forget how to mange a team.This year I have noticed it happen a lot earlier in the season and way more often.This year on occasion he has kept the SP in there longer than supposed to like he did Bronson and Leake.Before he even walked out the reds was down by four runs.Same with Hoover.. He overused Hoover way to much then all of a sudden Hoover's arm looks completely dead.

He says Braxton and Chapman needed rest 3 or 4 games into the season when the season just starts for heavens sake. Then he keeps those two in the bullpen and lets them rot b/c he wouldn't pitch them for a week when we all know every pitcher NEEDS work to stay in rythem. Now why in the world is Heisey still in the lineup when he cannot get a hit to save his soul? Paul has been huge all year and needs to start as soon as possible b/c if he doesn't then he will also loose his rythem b/c he hasn't played any.

Again its early but Dusty has really made some HUGE mistakes early in the season and I don't see anything changing.Im starting to think that the game is being played way to fast for his brain to tell him to make a decision to make a move b/c of his age.
    Dusty is a players manager.

He will leave starters in longer to help them get a win.
    He plays the bullpen by the book, never stepping outside the box if it's required.......hence yesterday.
    He won't step on a players toes even if it's the best thing for the team at that moment.

He has very little sense of urgency. Hence Chapman starting to warm-up once all the damage was done. If the wheels are falling off, Dusty won't see it until they're off.

I don't hate Dusty. I think he is a good clubhouse chemistry manager. I think he is a bad strategical manager. The players play hard for him. But he can be his own worst enemy sometimes strategically.

And finally, Dusty is as bullheaded as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    By incompetent management.

Life is unfair.

Hopefully Dusty doesn't last that long this year, unforgivable how he sabotaged the Chapman starting experiment by throwing the organization under the bus.

...For Baker to get fired midseason, this team will have to seriously crater.

I can't imagine why anyone would wish that on the home town 9.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Have you forgiven the pitcher who prefers to close over start yet?

Or the GM who agreed?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    He has very little sense of urgency. Hence Chapman starting to warm-up once all the damage was done. If the wheels are falling off, Dusty won't see it until they're off.
    IMO, that fits right in with being a player's manager. If players think they're going to get the hook or get benched after one mistake, that pressure is going to cause them to make mistakes. He gives players enough rope to undo or atone for their mistakes.
    /r/reds

I agree the pen has been mismanaged, but doesn't the pitching coach hold some of that responsibility? If I guy hasn't pitched in 5 days, I'd think the pitching coach would go to the manager and say "we've got to get Broxton some work". Or even say something when Baker starts to make a call to the pen. "Hey, Dusty. I know we're down three, but Brox really needs to get an inning in. How about running him out there?".
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I agree the pen has been mismanaged, but doesn't the pitching coach hold some of that responsibility? If I guy hasn't pitched in 5 days, I'd think the pitching coach would go to the manager and say "we've got to get Broxton some work". Or even say something when Baker starts to make a call to the pen. "Hey, Dusty. I know we're down three, but Brox really needs to get an inning in. How about running him out there?".
    How do you know he didn't?

What happened to Perez after the firing?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    How do you know he didn't?
    I think to assume he did and Dusty ignored it is probably a bigger stretch than he just never said anything.

But either way, seems everyone is assuming he DID and laying all the blame at Dusty's feet. You're right, though, we don't know know WHO'S really at falut (which was pretty much the point of my post).
    Sto Pro Veritate

Haunted by walks

It's interesting that Chapman wasn't affected much by the layoff, but Broxton was a mess.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    What happened to Perez after the firing?
    He took a front office job with the Marlins.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Have you forgiven the pitcher who prefers to close over start yet?

Or the GM who agreed?
    Not really sure why people would be mad at this. I actually like having Chapman to fall back on. It's nice. There's no guarantee that he would have the same kind of success as a starter. We have guys like Cingrani and Corcino coming up as well as Cueto/Latos and Bailey when he's on. Our rotation is fine and Chapman gives us one of the best bullpens in the league. We'll be fine moving forward.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Turn Off Ads?