Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Someone explain this to me

Re: Someone explain this to me

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It's interesting that Chapman wasn't affected much by the layoff, but Broxton was a mess.
    Although, we didn't see much of Chapman since the game never made it to the bottom of the 9th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've never been a Dusty fan, but even I'm surprised at how awful he's been this season. Between consistently using our worst relievers in pressure situations, only using guys in defined roles, and taking the bat out of Votto's hand with the sac bunt, it's been a horrible 12 games for Dusty Baker.

4. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (04-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've never been a Dusty fan, but even I'm surprised at how awful he's been this season. Between consistently using our worst relievers in pressure situations, only using guys in defined roles, and taking the bat out of Votto's hand with the sac bunt, it's been a horrible 12 games for Dusty Baker.
    Many people wanted Hoover to take Broxton's place this off season. I think most of us are high on him and the Reds brass are as well. He has been pitching poor so far this season but like any pitcher you need to keep running him out there so he can break out of his funk. I don't have much of an issue with Dusty's handling of the pen.

The way I look at it, its been a horrible 5 games for the Reds. Votto is doing a good job of taking the bat out of his hands. Guy hasn't hit for power early this season and has a grand total of 3 RBI. Pitchers are doing their best to pitch around them and take their chances with Phillips and then Bruce. Baker could do the best job of managing in his career and the Reds still would be where they are. If your not doing a good job of situation hitting your bullpen is pouring gas on the fire you aren't going to win. There is absolutely no way that you should give up a 5-0 lead after 6 innings to the Pirates.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Tony Perez got fired after 44 games
    By incompetent management.

Life is unfair.
    And his replacement was fired because he was "living in sin," despite the fact that the team was actually winning under his tutelage.

Old thinking severally dooms this team sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    ...For Baker to get fired midseason, this team will have to seriously crater.

I can't imagine why anyone would wish that on the home town 9.
    I don't want the Reds to crater but I really wish that the GM had more bite and would replace the manager. Losing another playoff series seems to be the only way that can happen, but that's going to cost this team another year. By 2014, the window of opportunity may start sliding shut.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Have you forgiven the pitcher who prefers to close over start yet?

Or the GM who agreed?
    The point was, it was Baker who went public first. That's a bush league move.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Not really sure why people would be mad at this. I actually like having Chapman to fall back on. It's nice.
    Agreed, but I feel like the closer role is seriously overrated. Why use someone with his power for just three outs?

Haunted by walks

How many closers and setup men pitch more than one inning? Some, I'm sure, once in awhile. I'm curious as to whether Dusty is such an outlier on this.

I like the idea of the "7th-inning closer" but it would be revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    How many closers and setup men pitch more than one inning? Some, I'm sure, once in awhile. I'm curious as to whether Dusty is such an outlier on this.

I like the idea of the "7th-inning closer" but it would be revolutionary.
    Multi inning relievers tend to be setup men these days, Belise type guys

Not too many closers tossing multi innings these days, hence why there are 12 guys not 9 in the BP

Is it right?

Probably not wholly and it's probably not all wrong considering the cost if players and the perilous nature of a pitchers job

Why is it that our bullpen, according to Dusty, is always either "overworked" or we have guys "needing work"? Why does it seem there's never a middle ground? And no, I'm certainly not referring to this year only.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Why is it that our bullpen, according to Dusty, is always either "overworked" or we have guys "needing work"? Why does it seem there's never a middle ground? And no, I'm certainly not referring to this year only.
    It seems that way to me as well, but I guess it could be that Dusty is only quoted about the bullpen whenever it's "overworked" or guys need work. Not a lot of reporters are quoting Dusty if he says the bullpen is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    It seems that way to me as well, but I guess it could be that Dusty is only quoted about the bullpen whenever it's "overworked" or guys need work. Not a lot of reporters are quoting Dusty if he says the bullpen is fine.
    That's possible, but we were hearing the bullpen was overworked after the first series of the season, then seemingly one series later some guys needed work. I guess I'm just too old school to relate to the over-thinking that goes on with coaching bullpens in this age.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That's possible, but we were hearing the bullpen was overworked after the first series of the season, then seemingly one series later some guys needed work. I guess I'm just too old school to relate to the over-thinking that goes on with coaching bullpens in this age.
    But I wondered the same thing last year, too. If you listen to Dusty, it sounds like the Reds have the most sensitive, delicate bullpen in the history of baseball.

Same thing happens with other teams, the tunnel vision one has on their own team amplifies the noise

Last year we started out 4-8 and won 97 games.

This year we are 5-7 and it is panic time.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Baker is the 16th Reds manager since I started paying attention to baseball. Every single one of them has frustrated me to no end. But the good ones win titles. Baker is one of the good ones.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?