Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

The Marshall Trade will go down as one of the best the Reds have ever made. Get a top-shelf reliever for 3 fringe MLB players (at best). Then re-sign said reliever at an extremely-reasonable rate for 3 additional seasons. Then said reliever might become closer due to Madson injury. Reds would be in terrible shape without Marshall this season and they gave up very little in the grand scheme to get him. Felt like it was a lot to us, but it really wasn't. And even beyond this season the trade looks great because Marshall will be a HUGE part of the bullpen at least through the 2015 season. Either as the set-up man or the closer. What a great trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

3-31-12 update:

Sappelt - 37 at-bats, 8 hits, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, .216 average, .293 OBP
    Wood - 4 games, 8 IP, 17.28 e.r.a., 18 hits, 16 er's, 3 hr's, 6 walks, 5 K's, .429 hitting against him

Boxberger - 8 games, 8 IP, 8 hits, 8 earned runs, 3 walks, 11 K's, 10.80 e.r.a., .286 hitting against him, 0 HR's allowed
    Volquez - 3.48 e.r.a., 5 games, 20 IP, 12 hits, 11 walks, 13 K's, .179 hitting against him

Grandal - .353, 34 at-bats, 12 hits, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 1.054 OPS
    Alonso - .299, 67 at-bats, 20 hits, 5 doubles, 1 Tr, 1 HR, .776 OPS

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    The Marshall Trade will go down as one of the best the Reds have ever made. Get a top-shelf reliever for 3 fringe MLB players (at best). Then re-sign said reliever at an extremely-reasonable rate for 3 additional seasons. Then said reliever might become closer due to Madson injury. Reds would be in terrible shape without Marshall this season and they gave up very little in the grand scheme to get him. Felt like it was a lot to us, but it really wasn't. And even beyond this season the trade looks great because Marshall will be a HUGE part of the bullpen at least through the 2015 season. Either as the set-up man or the closer. What a great trade.
    Maybe it is just my take on relievers having very limited value, but even if Marshall goes out over his Reds contract and gives us a flat 3.00 ERA and 200 innings (which I think is well within reason), I can't say its one of the best trades they have ever made. They got Brandon Phillips for Jeff Stevens. They got Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena. Both of those trades worked out much better than what the Marshall trade is likely to work out as.

Volquez has been named the opening day starter for the Padres.

I'm sure when the Volquez-Latos deal went down, we all expected it would be the former starting on opening day while the latter gets to sit back and relax, right?

In all seriousness, I guess Volquez has looked decent this spring, aside from his ever-present control issues. I still can't imagine why the Padres wouldn't start with Cory Luebke, Dustin Moseley or Clayton Richard instead, though.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    In all seriousness, I guess Volquez has looked decent this spring, aside from his ever-present control issues. I still can't imagine why the Padres wouldn't start with Cory Luebke, Dustin Moseley or Clayton Richard instead, though.
    Besides believeing Volquez is better than Cory Luebke, Dustin Moseley or Clayton Richard, the Padres are working to restore his confidence.

I have a feeling the Volquez will make a comeback this year.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Volquez is my pick to have a comeback season too.

But had he not been traded, I wouldn't have predicted that. Him having to pitch for a team like the Reds that were down on him probably wouldn't have been easy. A change of scenery will do him good with a new start. Atleast that's my prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

But had he not been traded, I wouldn't have predicted that. Him having to pitch for a team like the Reds that were down on him probably wouldn't have been easy. A change of scenery will do him good with a new start. Atleast that's my prediction.
    I would pick him simply because he is going to be pitching in San Diego. His ERA is almost a lock to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would pick him simply because he is going to be pitching in San Diego. His ERA is almost a lock to drop.
    Well, guys with a 5.71 era don't tend to get very many starts. He's either going to improve or "get an injury."
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That ERA could easily be 5.50 or even 5.25!!!

Just kidding.

3-31-12 update:

Sappelt - 37 at-bats, 8 hits, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, .216 average, .293 OBP
    Wood - 4 games, 8 IP, 17.28 e.r.a., 18 hits, 16 er's, 3 hr's, 6 walks, 5 K's, .429 hitting against him

Boxberger - 8 games, 8 IP, 8 hits, 8 earned runs, 3 walks, 11 K's, 10.80 e.r.a., .286 hitting against him, 0 HR's allowed
    Volquez - 3.48 e.r.a., 5 games, 20 IP, 12 hits, 11 walks, 13 K's, .179 hitting against him

Grandal - .353, 34 at-bats, 12 hits, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 1.054 OPS
    Alonso - .299, 67 at-bats, 20 hits, 5 doubles, 1 Tr, 1 HR, .776 OPS

I don't know why, but I always thought Sappelt would be a stud hitter, but so far not looking that way. This is pretty much as expected except wood little worse and Grandal a little better. Alonso is the stud in this bunch. 67 bats not a bad sample size and right at .300. Latos until today has looked nice. I hope Latos was just working on things since his injury tweak and he will be great rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    I don't know why, but I always thought Sappelt would be a stud hitter, but so far not looking that way. This is pretty much as expected except wood little worse and Grandal a little better. Alonso is the stud in this bunch. 67 bats not a bad sample size and right at .300. Latos until today has looked nice. I hope Latos was just working on things since his injury tweak and he will be great rest of the time.
    Sappelt and Alonso don't have anywhere near enough at bats to had anything resembling a decent sample size to draw anything from.

Latos gave up two wind aided home runs today. He will be just fine.

Through 5 games:

Alonso - 17 at-bats, 3 hits, .176 average, 3 walks, 3 K's, no extra-base hits.

Volquez - 2 starts, 12 IP, 7 walks, 15 K's, 8 hits, 4 earned runs, 3.00 e.r.a.

and a new addition to the updates.......JUAN FRANCISCO!!!

Francisco - 9 at-bats, 1 hit, 1 K, 0 Walks, 3 errors.....LOL

The SD ballpark probalby helps just about every pitcher, but I think Volquez's inablity to have consistent control will hurt him.
    Maybe SD can manipulate the rotation to maximize his home starts as the did with Harang.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

For those wanting to track the guys in the minors, here are some links

Dave Sappelt- off to a slow start in AAA
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543743

Ron Torreyes- from Dayton to Daytona
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=591720

Travis Wood- 1 start so far
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=475243

Yamani Grandal- only hitting .500- clearly a bust (12AB's)
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=518735

Brad Boxberger
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=502202
    Last edited by klw; 04-12-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add boxberger

Torreyes has 5 strikeouts in 20 at bats this year. He had 19 in 349 last year. BUST! (Kidding for those who didn't pick up on the sarcasm)

Turn Off Ads?