Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just found out tonight...

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Just found out tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Due Nov. 6th
    Awesome. Congratulations on all the hard work.

You should send planned parenthood a letter. How can they be that unreliable?
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

When your job is the pregnancy thing and parenting, I'd hope you use accurate methods. It is not a perfect science (nothing is). But when something off the shelf at Kroger's is more accurate, then I am a bit put off. Perhaps PP should start buying the Kroger's product? I am sure their method is much more expensive... and perhaps not as accurate? I just hope the ones who do not want to be pregnant when they get inaccurately tested at PP don't go home and celebrate with a bunch of liquor and/or drugs b/c they think they are home-free. Kind of scary when you think of it in those terms. But I admit that it is not a perfect science.

Methinks this thread will be closed if I respond... (It'll turn political).

But back to TS - Congratulations!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

People aren't computers. They're like human that way.

False negative readings can occur when testing is done too early. Quantitative blood tests and the most sensitive urine tests usually detect hCG shortly after implantation, which can occur anywhere from 6 to 12 days after ovulation.[1] Beta hCG levels rise exponentially in the first two months or so of pregnancy so the earlier the test is performed, the higher the chance of a false negative result. Less sensitive urine tests and qualitative blood tests may not detect pregnancy until three or four days after implantation. Menstruation occurs on average 14 days after ovulation, so the likelihood of a false negative is low once a menstrual period is late.

False positive results can result from diseases like choriocarcinomas, IgA deficiencies, heterophile antibodies, enterocystoplasties, gestational trophoblastic diseases (GTD), gestational trophoblastic neoplasms (GTN), and testicular germ cell malignancies. Also, many home pregnancy tests show a positive or unclear result when read well after the suggested 3-5 minute window, independent of an actual pregnancy; this type of false positive is also known as an evaporation line. Additionally anyone who has been given an hCG injection would also give a false positive.

Some individuals react to some substrate in the test and thus will display a consistently low positive blood pregnancy test even though they are not pregnant. This phantom hCG may lead to serious misdiagnosis and intervention, but can be detected with serial dilutions. Patients with phantom hCG have a positive blood hCG but a negative urine hCG test.[citation needed]
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Let's try and keep this thread focused on Team Selig and not on Planned Parenthood. If you want to discuss Planned Parenthood, that should be taken over to the Peanut Gallery.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    People aren't computers. They're like human that way.

False negative readings can occur when testing is done too early. Quantitative blood tests and the most sensitive urine tests usually detect hCG shortly after implantation, which can occur anywhere from 6 to 12 days after ovulation.[1] Beta hCG levels rise exponentially in the first two months or so of pregnancy so the earlier the test is performed, the higher the chance of a false negative result. Less sensitive urine tests and qualitative blood tests may not detect pregnancy until three or four days after implantation. Menstruation occurs on average 14 days after ovulation, so the likelihood of a false negative is low once a menstrual period is late.

False positive results can result from diseases like choriocarcinomas, IgA deficiencies, heterophile antibodies, enterocystoplasties, gestational trophoblastic diseases (GTD), gestational trophoblastic neoplasms (GTN), and testicular germ cell malignancies. Also, many home pregnancy tests show a positive or unclear result when read well after the suggested 3-5 minute window, independent of an actual pregnancy; this type of false positive is also known as an evaporation line. Additionally anyone who has been given an hCG injection would also give a false positive.

Some individuals react to some substrate in the test and thus will display a consistently low positive blood pregnancy test even though they are not pregnant. This phantom hCG may lead to serious misdiagnosis and intervention, but can be detected with serial dilutions. Patients with phantom hCG have a positive blood hCG but a negative urine hCG test.[citation needed]
    That's something you'll never see on this guy's show.....

Interesting stuff nonetheless...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

Sorry... didn't mean to divert and definitely not being political and I am sorry that some still think that way when reading me. Just worried me that erroroneous tests are happening, but I appreciate TC's explanation. Nothing is perfect (except Don Larsen in 1956). Back to TS and his wonderful news!

All right, let me tell you how it will be.

Fatherhood is an awesome responsibility. And I don't mean "like totally awesome dude". I mean it is a fundamental and life-altering event. Once it happens, your life is and will never be the same. A different course is set. Almost every decision you make has many more variables. You can't just think about yourself. That way of thinking was hard for me to adjust to.

I remember when my son (our first) was born. My wife's labor was long so I was up for 36 hrs. Baby was finally born, parents all visited, all the hoopla of a birth went on, and it was finally time for me to go home. I stopped by the nursery (this was at Christ Hospital) and looked in through the plate glass window at all the babies and at my son. It then hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm a dad. Oh my God, I'm a father and I've got responsibilities. I can't be the way I've been before. I've got to grow up. I've got to be a man and do the right things. I can't be irresponsible, whiny, and weak. I've got to stand up, be counted, and be the rock for all of those who depend on me. Time to grow from a boy to a man. And that starts *now*.

The nurse in charge came out to talk to me. She said she's seen "The Look" before on dad's faces. She patted me on the back and said don't worry, it will all be OK. Go home and get a good night's sleep. It will look better in the morning.

I did and it did. We've had 2 more kids. My life has forever changed. I don't stay out till 3 in the AM any more. We don't go out to dinner as much. I don't buy a shiny new zoom-zoom car on a whim. I've got a mortgage, car payments, bills, clothes and shoes to buy, children to raise, and a spousal unit that to try and stay at least civil with (and hopefully in love). Life certainly isn't boring.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Children are the most wonderful and fundamentally satisfying thing you will ever experience. I would willingly and in a second give up my own life for them. My kids are the coolest people in the world and I love spending time with them.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd do it in a second. My only regret is that I didn't start earlier. My first was born when I was 32. When my last graduate from college (God willing and the creek don't rise), I'll be 61. Age brings wisdom but it also brings creaky joints and an increase in naps.

So you're good. Hang in there. It will all turn out.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I agree Planned Parenthood should do a better job at giving the tests. Maybe they should offer blood work instead of urine analysis? I understand the circumstances and possibilities of a wrong reading that TC talked about, but IMO it is someones life and should be 110% every time.

RL,

Relationship w/ the mother is great. We were planning on getting married, and are actually doing it this Friday. This was decided pre-baby, in order to get some financial aid help for college next year. (FASFA deadline March 10th) We've only been together for a little under a year, but known each other and been friends for probably 4-5 years. Relationship with her parents is pretty good, our families have alot of history (good) and everyone seems to like me. Not sure how they will feel after all of this though.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the replies.

I agree Planned Parenthood should do a better job at giving the tests. Maybe they should offer blood work instead of urine analysis? I understand the circumstances and possibilities of a wrong reading that TC talked about, but IMO it is someones life and should be 110% every time.

RL,

Relationship w/ the mother is great. We were planning on getting married, and are actually doing it this Friday. This was decided pre-baby, in order to get some financial aid help for college next year. (FASFA deadline March 10th) We've only been together for a little under a year, but known each other and been friends for probably 4-5 years. Relationship with her parents is pretty good, our families have alot of history (good) and everyone seems to like me. Not sure how they will feel after all of this though.

Anyways, thanks again for all of the replies.
    One of my buddies in high school was in a situation like you are in. Probably a little worse though because we were a year or so away from graduation and her parents knew nothing until she told them. They didn't even know she was "active." Anyway, it was complicated. The Dad immediately freaked out and made a bad situation worse. My friend drove over to this girl's house one night and talked with her parents in front of her. Told them he had still planned on going to college but would go part time and work full time if that's what it took. He told them that he didn't want to drop out of college, though, as he didn't think that would be beneficial long-term to anyone. He also asked her Dad for his permission to marry his daughter. He left her house that night and her parents respected him for his decisions, maturity, and respect towards them.

They now have 5 kids and the girls Dad and my friend are really good friends. They share a season ticket package to Dragon's games.

I guess what I'm saying is, if there is any strain in that relationship with her parents at all, sit down with them and talk to them. Make them understand that you're going to do everything in your power to be a good person, a good husband, and a good father. You don't want to start things off by having a bad relationship with her parents. That makes things wayyyyy difficult on your future wife. Her life is going to be complicated enough and stressful enough in the coming months. You don't need to do anything to add to it.

Just some advice.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm under the impression Planned Parenthood uses a dated urine test because it costs less. The better over-the-counter tests are money makers and PP probably wouldn't have the money to keep the lights on if it gave one to everyone who walked through the door. Though more accurate testing methods should probably be a priority for reasons RFA1966 mentioned.

TeamSelig, my parents were 19 and 18 when I popped out. They managed to stay together and do quite well for themselves. I've got two of my own (born when I was in my early 30s) and I don't know how my parents did it.

One suggestion on raising a kid on a tight budget or in limited space: make sure everything you get for the baby does more than one thing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Is it me or does it seem like guys take alot of the heat from families?
    Ex. how could you have impregnated our precious little girl/grand daughter/etc.

Outside the family blames the girl though I'd say. Kinda weird how that works.

Thanks for all of the advice, i'm starting to feel a little better about the situation. I know its all going to work out, its just a big shock to me, and it still hasn't fully kicked in yet. It's so strange... I'm going to have a kid, but I still feel like one at the same time.

I really feel for those that have kids at a very young age... 13-14. Even 16-18. At least I'm out of high school. Couldn't imagine dealing with that.

It's so strange... I'm going to have a kid, but I still feel like one at the same time.
    As long as there's always a piece of you that feels like a kid, you'll be ok.

What I mean is that as others have mentioned, parenting is a huge responsibility with plenty of challenges. There's no denying that. What is going to get you through those challenges is your ability to remember how to play like a kid with your kid. I've found that the more time I spend playing blocks / puzzles / legos / tea party / trucks / reading books with my kid, the better things are.

If we were in a math class, I'd say that happiness is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One suggestion on raising a kid on a tight budget or in limited space: make sure everything you get for the baby does more than one thing.
    Well, except for disposable diapers - those can be one use!

As many have said, it does change you, and it blows your mind sometimes to think someone depends on me as their parent. But even after 24 years of parenting, it still awes me that I've raised three kids.

My oldest is now in the work world, out of college and that amazes me. My younger daughter is studying in Mexico for the semester and I'm blown away by that. My youngest is making college plans and my wife and I are realizing we're going to be empty nesters this year and that blows my mind too.

And yet, I find myself aching these days for little kids (no, I'm not rushing my kids into providing grandkids!). I see little ones and they're so darned sweet (well, for the most part). Fortunately my youngest brother is about 14 years younger than me and he has a 4 year old and an 14 month old, so I get my baby fixes with them (I'm about due - guess I'll have to volunteer to babysit them again).

Remember, it all goes so fast. You'll blink and they're grown up - I swear it feels like that. Day in, day out and pretty soon, it's 20 years later.

I'd agree wholeheartedly with the amount of time on the floor - I miss that wrestling or playing games with the little ones. And on and on.

Turn Off Ads?