Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else becoming concerned with Votto

Re: Anyone else becoming concerned with Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    He's one for his last twelve. He's slugging in the three's...he isn't getting pitched around, he's hitting around pitches.

And like the others here, I wonder if his student of hitting combined with his mental state is a bad combo.
    The student of hitting thing is my biggest worry, combined with the mental state. I think he might need to talk to Tony Perez. "See dee ball, hit dee ball." Tony wasn't a bad hitter, was he?

Sometimes things are made to be to way too complex. Too many thoughts at the plate was always a bad thing for me. I let too many pitches go by that I should have hit. In college, I once told an umpire that he missed a pitch on a close call. Luckily, he didn't toss me, but he did smile and say, "I wouldn't have missed it if I had that bat in my hands."

2. Turn Off Ads?

(Slaps knee). Good to see you're one of the twenty Amerucans who invest 90 minutes of a Saturday night to get one laugh.
    Your incorrect assumptions and leaps of logic are not surprising.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Please Mr. Sabrematrician, please give us a tutorial in how walking 300 times a year would give you an MVP award.

While I explain to you that you won't walk that much if you can't hit...

Barry Bonds seemed to still be able to hit, when he was pitched around so much. He didn't let strikes go by. He crushed them, almost every time.

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-20-2013)

Players don't lose their swings to depression or wild mind games. Problems like Ankiel and Blass are limited to pitchers. Hitters lose their swings due to not working hard enough or getting out of shape and I don't worry about any of that with Votto. He'll work his way out of it unless there's a physical reason that we don't know about yet

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Your assumptions and leaps of logic are not surprising.
    I know. Joey Votto looks fantastic right now and we should all be quiet because he's walking!

Hit's as good as a walk according to the computer!

9. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Players don't lose their swings to depression or wild mind games. Problems like Ankiel and Blass are limited to pitchers. Hitters lose their swings due to not working hard enough or getting out of shape and I don't worry about any of that with Votto. He'll work his way out of it unless there's a physical reason that we don't know about yet
    So Rick Ankiel was throwing balls over the backstop necause he didn't practice enough...

Where's that SNL graphic when you need it...

11. Likes:

Please Mr. Sabrematrician, please give us a tutorial in how walking 300 times a year would give you an MVP award.

While I explain to you that you won't walk that much if you can't hit...
    Yet somehow he leads the league in walks by 2x. Amazing. Maybe he can hit. Just maybe.

And seeing as you want to keep taking shots, I find it very perplexing that a person with >5,000 posts on an internet forum is incorrectly questioning what I do for entertainment on Saturday nights.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

So Rick Ankiel was throwing balls over the backstop necause he didn't practice enough...

Where's that SNL graphic when you need it...
    You don't understand. Pitchers are different. I thought I made that clear

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've had those exact thoughts and was thinking about writing what you wrote.

I also was afraid to express them because if it's true, we got a big problem.
    Tony Horton sized

15. Likes:

I agree that he is over-thinking the game a bit right now...BUT that is also what has made him one of the toughest outs in all of baseball the last few years. Thankfully his numbers aren't too different from last year.

Once he figures it out, it will be dangerous for other teams to think of throwing him a strike. For the next few weeks though, I would expect him to see more pitches in the zone, no reason not to.

I know. Joey Votto looks fantastic right now and we should all be quiet because he's walking!

Hit's as good as a walk according to the computer!
    Enough with the knuckle dragging. Everyone recognizes Votto isn't driving the ball. That said, the guy leads all of MLB in OB. So Joey Votto's in a slump and he's an OB machine. That's like the best slump ever.

If he's having the same problems after Memorial Day, I'll start to worry.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

mth123 (04-20-2013),pahster (04-20-2013),Raisor (04-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Yet somehow he leads the league in walks by 2x. Amazing. Maybe he can hit. Just maybe.

And seeing as you want to keep taking shots, I find it very perplexing that a person with >5,000 posts on an internet forum is incorrectly questioning what I do for entertainment on Saturday nights.

That's over about what, ten years? Mr. Sample Size misses an important fact.

We aren't getting off on the right foot- I've never even seen you here before, so sorry to start off this way.

It just gets a little old when you can't even question something without the sabre folks having an excuse for everything.

Sample size! BAPIP!

I can see with my own eyes, he's off. He looks like Tim Rebow throwing a football right mow.

Sorry if we wish to discuss that, I realize most human beings would wait for 700 plate appearances before even mentioning it, as long as he keeps walking.

20. Likes:

Before last night I was in the crowd that thought Joey simply wasn't getting anything good to hit. And for the most part up to last night he wasn't. I wondered why people wanted him to swing at balls.

But last night in the bottom of the ninth I was thinking to myself "What a great time this would be right now (with Cozart on 1st, no outs and the Reds down by a run) for Joey to break through the slump.

And boy did he look awful at the plate. He had some pitches thrown to him that looked like typical Joey jacks, or at least his gapper-doubles.

They weren't pitching around to him in the 9th, and he missed badly. It was obvious from his body language and the way he was talking to himself he isn't right.

I thought UNTIL he gets something good to hit I have no problem with Votto getting walked. But he had great pitches to swing at in the 9th last night, and it is a little worrisome how badly he missed.

Still, it might be too early to be really concerned (of course I'm not sure when it's ok to be concerned either lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I very much hope you're right and I'm wrong. This an argument I don't want to win.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?