Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

What a collapse by Sergio, thought he had gotten that out of his game this year as he had been playing some good golf.

Was happy and gutted Lingermeth didn't win he's a golfer i've been following this season but didn't have any money on him this week hence why i was happy he didn't win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Tiger didn't do anything wrong. He, his playing partner, both caddies and the course marshalls all agreed the drop spot was accurate. The only one whining about it was Johnny Miller, who whines about everything.
    Sounds about right. Did you know he once shot 63 at Oakmont?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Just saw a ridiculous stat. Even with the troubles of the last 3 years, Tiger has still won 26% of all his starts on the PGA TOUR. Wow!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Just saw a ridiculous stat. Even with the troubles of the last 3 years, Tiger has still won 26% of all his starts on the PGA TOUR. Wow!
    Pretend golf season was year round, and Tiger played every week.

If he won every single week, it would take almost a year and a half. That is a year and a half of weeks of winning golf tournaments.

It's even more staggering when you think that of current players on TOUR, only Mickelson has more than 20 wins. Only 7 other players have more than 10 wins....and that includes David Duval who doesn't really play any more. It's harder to win these days than any time in the past because of how many guys are capable of winning on TOUR. So few players win more than a few times in their entire career. Yet he's won 77 times. It's beyond remarkable.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's beyond remarkable.
    At his peak, it was beyond-beyond. Think about these three tournaments:

1997 Masters -- won by 12 strokes at 18-under par, both tournament records
    2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach -- won by 15 strokes (the record for any major)
    2000 British Open at St. Andrews -- won by 8 strokes (a modern-day record) at 19-under par (the record for any major)

So we have the biggest modern-day thumpings at each of the three most prestigious golf tournaments in the world, at possibly the three most renowned golf courses in the world, all delivered by the same guy. Yikes.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    At his peak, it was beyond-beyond. Think about these three tournaments:

1997 Masters -- won by 12 strokes at 18-under par, both tournament records
    2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach -- won by 15 strokes (the record for any major)
    2000 British Open at St. Andrews -- won by 8 strokes (a modern-day record) at 19-under par (the record for any major)

So we have the biggest modern-day thumpings at each of the three most prestigious golf tournaments in the world, at possibly the three most renowned golf courses in the world, all delivered by the same guy. Yikes.
    That stretch of golf was insane. I never pulled for Tiger in those years like I do now b/c it was pointless. It was amazing watching him blow peoples doors of like though.

My favorite was post round interviews with other players who were just awestruck and dumbfounded. You could see it in their eyes that they were completely helpless on the course.

He knew he was better than you. You knew he was better than you. And he knew, that you knew, that he was better than you. Good times.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

I believe that's just a shade below his career percentage as well. So much for his struggles, eh? Have you seen the updated FedExCup standings? Tiger has 2,340 points. Runner-up Brandt Snedeker has 1,474.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I believe that's just a shade below his career percentage as well. So much for his struggles, eh? Have you seen the updated FedExCup standings? Tiger has 2,340 points. Runner-up Brandt Snedeker has 1,474.
    I meant his career percentage is still 26%. There was a 2 year stretch where he didn't win at all.

Obviously, Tiger Woods is back and once again 'The Man' in golfing circles today. He is, at the very least, number two of all-time, with very strong credentials for being placed at the top of the heap. I admit to having a couple of biases in this debate. One, The Golden Bear was on the prowl during my formative years. Two, Jack Nicklaus is from Ohio. I understand that where a player is from should not matter. But human beings are funny like that. And I am guilty as charged in that respect. I'd like to present one pretty amazing fact though. From The British Open in 1970 through The British Open in 1978, a span of 33 majors, Jack finished in the top ten an astounding 31 times, never finishing lower than 13th in any event. For nearly an entire decade he was a factor in seemingly every single majors event. That is impressive no matter how you slice it.

12. Likes:

TSJ55 (05-13-2013)

Not surprising that the marshals have said they never said anything to Tiger about Sergio already having hit. Looks it was most likely a fabrication by Tiger, which is pretty poor form on his part.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

He is Yankees good, they still have won roughly 26% of all World Series titles (25.47% to be pricise). I find both stats to be mind-numbing.

For the record, until he wins consecutive majors I will keep saying he isn't "back". Remember this is the guy who won The Tiger Slam.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    He is Yankees good, they still have won roughly 26% of all World Series titles (25.47% to be pricise). I find both stats to be mind-numbing.

For the record, until he wins consecutive majors I will keep saying he isn't "back". Remember this is the guy who won The Tiger Slam.
    Tiger isn't quite to the ball striking levels he was at during that era, but he's back. The competition these days is so so much stronger than it was during that era. We're not going to see him return to that level of dominance in my opinion.

Not surprising that the marshals have said they never said anything to Tiger about Sergio already having hit. Looks it was most likely a fabrication by Tiger, which is pretty poor form on his part.
    Was just going to post (mostly) the same thing. Ridiculously poor grammar aside, I guess you gotta take the marshal's word. Either way, I'm all for it. Especially when he's playing Serg. He probably should've owned it though.

"He didn't ask us nothing," marshal Gary Anderson said Sunday, according to a report by Sports Illustrated. "We didn't say nothing. We're told not to talk to the players."
    http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...er-woods-story

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (05-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Was just going to post (mostly) the same thing. Ridiculously poor grammar aside, I guess you gotta take the marshal's word. Either way, I'm all for it. Especially when he's playing Serg. He probably should've owned it though.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...er-woods-story
    The only thing I have a problem with is dragging the marshal into this, he could have come up with another excuse if he didn't want to own it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?