Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Re: 2013 Golf Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Not surprising that the marshals have said they never said anything to Tiger about Sergio already having hit. Looks it was most likely a fabrication by Tiger, which is pretty poor form on his part.
    Eh. I'm not a huge Tiger fan but that's just gamesmanship. If he wasn't completely honest about it afterwards, I liken it to a pitcher hitting a guy on purpose then saying afterwards that it was an accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

World cup of golf is coming to Royal Melbourne in November, i'll definetly be trying to get tickets to it. I've been to the Presidents cup there twice and it is a great course.

I think I have to take back the comment of "owning" it and agree with you on the board here. I'm all for pulling the club and using the gallery to his advantage and needling Sergio, but he can't say he did it on purpose, even if we all know he did. But don't pull marshal into it either. Just say you thought he'd hit.

Pulling hard for Tiger to keep up the good play and win AT LEAST one of the remaining majors this year.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

FWIW, on mike & mike this morning, they said another official, who was about 10-12 feet away from tiger at the time, said that someone asked if Sergio had hit yet, and he yelled out that Sergio had taken his turn.

At any rate, its all silliness. Do we ask the umps if he thought a pitcher was trying to hit a guy after the game? Do we ask the field judge if he thought a guy was trying to use stickem on his gloves? No and no, only in golf do we let muntia rule the day, do we accept someone calling in from home and having a penalty assessed to a player (which seemingly happens about once a year on some tournament, somewhere) that was missed by the rules officials on the course.

The worst thing Sergio could have done was even address this as a problem. He basically admitted that he let Tiger get into his head, I'm sure other tour players took note as something to take advantage of down the road. Then again, I'm guessing most tour players already knew this was possible. My guess, if it was done to Tiger, most tour players knew it would serve only to piss him off and have him go on a run.

Tiger is the same golfer who use to lose it when someone clicked a camera during his swing. He would go nuts and have his goon (Stevie Williams) get a spectator kicked out. Tiger should have known what the reaction would be when he took a particular club out of his bag. He should have known how he would have felt if he were on the other end of things.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tiger is the same golfer who use to lose it when someone clicked a camera during his swing. He would go nuts and have his goon (Stevie Williams) get a spectator kicked out. Tiger should have known what the reaction would be when he took a particular club out of his bag. He should have known how he would have felt if he were on the other end of things.
    Of course he knew what their reaction would be,and that's why it's so awesome. As far as how he would have felt, I have a VERY strong suspicion that Tiger's mental strength is well beyond that of Sergio and his victim complex.

True, Tiger get's ticked when some clown photog prematurely clicks the shutter. Tiger is a control freak and he theoretically has control over that situation. Stevie took it upon himself to be the goon and that's why he was Tiger's caddie for so long and so good at it. (although I dislike him quite bit). If Lacava wants to stick around, hopefully he took notes.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    At any rate, its all silliness.
    True. If this was anyone else but Tiger, it wouldn't have even been reported.

The worst thing Sergio could have done was even address this as a problem. He basically admitted that he let Tiger get into his head, I'm sure other tour players took note as something to take advantage of down the road. Then again, I'm guessing most tour players already knew this was possible. My guess, if it was done to Tiger, most tour players knew it would serve only to piss him off and have him go on a run.
    Very true. I think though that most of the other tour players know the way to beat Sergio is through his head. Kind of like Monty.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

TSJ55 (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Of course he knew what their reaction would be,and that's why it's so awesome. As far as how he would have felt, I have a VERY strong suspicion that Tiger's mental strength is well beyond that of Sergio and his victim complex.

True, Tiger get's ticked when some clown photog prematurely clicks the shutter. Tiger is a control freak and he theoretically has control over that situation. Stevie took it upon himself to be the goon and that's why he was Tiger's caddie for so long and so good at it. (although I dislike him quite bit). If Lacava wants to stick around, hopefully he took notes.
    That is akin to Tiger yelling in Sergio's backswing. I don't understand how that is awesome. Getting in someone's head would be to pull a wood knowing the crowd would go crazy before Sergio addressed the ball making him think about something. Pulling that club while Sergio is swinging is pretty poor on Tiger's behalf, especially if he did it on purpose.

That is akin to Tiger yelling in Sergio's backswing. I don't understand how that is awesome. Getting in someone's head would be to pull a wood knowing the crowd would go crazy before Sergio addressed the ball making him think about something. Pulling that club while Sergio is swinging is pretty poor on Tiger's behalf, especially if he did it on purpose.
    No it isn't. Yelling in his backswing would be yelling in backswing. They aren't even remotely related IMO.

It's no different than he sometimes chooses to putt out and sometimes he marks. He knows if he putts out, the gallery will be moving to the next teeing area and his opponent will have to putt while that movement is going on.

If it's Serg, or somebody else he doesn't care for, or somebody in contention, he'll putt out. If it's Stricker, he'll mark.

Tiger has been playing in front of huge galleries and dealing with things other golfers don't have to deal with since the beginning. Good for him to find an advantage where there is usually a disadvantage.

This marshal that said he was the one who told Tiger that Sergio had already hit lives right by me I've just learned. He's also a math teacher at my daughter's school. It also seems that he used to live in Cincinnati, even Fairfield where I went to high school. I may have to get to the bottom of this.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Define "marshal"? A buddy of mine was chosen to be one back when there was a major at Valhalla in Louisville. I wouldn't exactly call him "qualified". What are the requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Define "marshal"? A buddy of mine was chosen to be one back when there was a major at Valhalla in Louisville. I wouldn't exactly call him "qualified". What are the requirements?
    Speaking of, PGA Championship will be back here next year. Looking forward to checking it out again. Ryder Cup here was something I'll likely never forget.

No it isn't. Yelling in his backswing would be yelling in backswing. They aren't even remotely related IMO.

It's no different than he sometimes chooses to putt out and sometimes he marks. He knows if he putts out, the gallery will be moving to the next teeing area and his opponent will have to putt while that movement is going on.

If it's Serg, or somebody else he doesn't care for, or somebody in contention, he'll putt out. If it's Stricker, he'll mark.

Tiger has been playing in front of huge galleries and dealing with things other golfers don't have to deal with since the beginning. Good for him to find an advantage where there is usually a disadvantage.
    I am confused. You are saying that Tiger purposefully manufacturing noise during Sergio's swing is ok? If it is I think I would stay away from playing golf in your group. The way I was taught to play golf is you don't do anything to distract your fellow competitor. Tiger may not like Sergio but if he purposefully created a buzz during Sergio's swing that really goes against the idea of golf being a gentleman's game.

I am confused. You are saying that Tiger purposefully manufacturing noise during Sergio's swing is ok? If it is I think I would stay away from playing golf in your group. The way I was taught to play golf is you don't do anything to distract your fellow competitor. Tiger may not like Sergio but if he purposefully created a buzz during Sergio's swing that really goes against the idea of golf being a gentleman's game.
    Yes, that is what I'm saying. Galleries react all over the golf course all the time. Sergio needs to suck it up. As for playing in my group, the gallery is normally smaller than that of Tiger's so you should be safe.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. Galleries react all over the golf course all the time. Sergio needs to suck it up. As for playing in my group, the gallery is normally smaller than that of Tiger's so you should be safe.
    Tiger is 100% in the wrong then. You can not do something to illicit a reaction when you playing partner is in his approach or swing. Its not gamesmanship its unsportsmanlike.

18. Likes:

Homer Bailey (05-15-2013),texasdave (05-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?