Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tony Cingrani love all over the internet today

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Tony Cingrani love all over the internet today

This morning, Cingrani was on the front page of Milb.com. He has now been moved to the #3 spot on their story slider.

He was the 'Helium Watch' player on todays Baseball America Hot Sheet.
    Rice pitchers everywhere have heard the whispers of how Owls pitchers struggle once they hit pro ball. Reds lefthander Tony Cingrani is doing his part to erase the stigma. The 22-year-old finished 10 innings short of qualifying to win the Pioneer League ERA title last year when he went 3-1, 1.75. After skipping low Class A, he's been even better in his first four starts in the California League. He's now 2-1, 0.39 with only 14 baserunners (nine hits and five walks) in 23 innings. At 6-foot-5, Cingrani uses excellent extension to make hitters feel like his 92-94 mph fastball is on them extremely quickly.
    Jason Parks mentioned him in his chat at Baseball Prospectus today. His response is why Cingrani isn't as highly touted, at least yet, as his numbers suggest he should be.

Immanuel #Want (Prussia): Has your opinion on Tony Cingrani changed at all? He's long been pigeonholed as a bullpen arm due to a lack of secondary stuff, but he is absolutely dominating as a starter (10.7 K/9, 5.6 K/BB) in the offense-friendly Cal League and a AA promotion can't be far off. Can he stick?

Jason Parks: Just spoke to a scout about him. The arm strength is fantastic, and he's shoving it right now as a starter. But everything I hear is that he profiles better as a bullpen arm. I'd like to hold off until we can see how the breaking ball develops and if he can remain effective as a starter. Helium guy right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Cingrani love all over the internet today

Has anyone on the board seen Cingrani pitch? I've seen his secondary offerings described as everything from loopy (slider) to slightly below average (change).

The fastball, too, ranges from working 91-93 to working 95 to reaching 99 with great feel and control of it.

I'd just like to hear from someone who's seen it. Scouting reports tend to be pretty much totally useless after the draft.

I'd love to see him stick as a starter. A small sample size is one thing, but 1 ER in 23 IP at Bakersfield (coming off a strong spring training and last year's dominance in Billings) is very impressive. His floor seems like a set-up guy at this point. If he can cook up an above-average secondary pitch, he looks like a potential top 50 prospect.

Despite being left-handed, I see a lot of parallels to a Zach Stewart (who, I'm told, will win multiple Cy Youngs )

Maybe after advancing two levels this year we'll trade him at the deadline to an AL East team for a former All-Star, veteran 3B that wants to finish his career closer to home.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Doug or others. Both Cingrani and Corcino skipped levels. Does that reflect a change in philosophy for the Reds organization? Is it wise?

My guess is that the move of Corcino to AA was more extreme since AA is considered the big jump in the minor leagues.

Obviously, as a fan, I want these guys on the Reds as soon as possible. But I did think it was a departure for the Reds to skip levels for these guys.

Cingrani was old for low A and needed to be challenged. The move to Bakersfield, while difficult, was the best for him and the team, IMO.

I have no clue why they bumped Corcino to AA, other than perhaps the thought that Bakersfield might get in his head.

If he keeps this up, looks like Cingrani could be in AA before the season is out.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yeah, that's possible.

But, because he skipped the level, not likely.

Next season, Cingrani could very well go AA, then Louisville for a cup of coffee.

Ready by 2014 as a starter? Certainly possible.

As a reliever, he could be ready by next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If he keeps this up, looks like Cingrani could be in AA before the season is out.
    You mean by June? I'm not an advocate to rushing pitchers, but if he's got a sub 1.00 era by June 1, it's time to challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doug or others. Both Cingrani and Corcino skipped levels. Does that reflect a change in philosophy for the Reds organization? Is it wise?

My guess is that the move of Corcino to AA was more extreme since AA is considered the big jump in the minor leagues.

Obviously, as a fan, I want these guys on the Reds as soon as possible. But I did think it was a departure for the Reds to skip levels for these guys.
    I think the Corcino move was more extreme, but I feel that they did it because of how they dealt with him last year. The Reds went out of their way to keep that Dayton team together as long as possible. Inevery other year as far as I can remember, Corcino or a pitcher very much like him would have been promoted to A+ midseason. But the Reds wanted that team to win and stay together. My feeling is, to keep him on their ideal timeline, they went into spring with the idea that if he pitches well, he can go to AA. It isn't going badly so far, it just isn't going great either. The walks are higher than you want to see, but he is also pretty young for the league and he has all of 4 starts. He is getting a ton of groundballs like he always has and he is missing bats still. Hasn't given up a home run yet. He is learning still, things that worked in Dayton aren't going to work in Pensacola. I think he will be fine and back to his 'normal' self by the time June rolls around.

With Cingrani, it isn't anything unprecedented. The Reds have skipped polished college guys over Dayton for years, in particular pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Has anyone on the board seen Cingrani pitch? I've seen his secondary offerings described as everything from loopy (slider) to slightly below average (change).

The fastball, too, ranges from working 91-93 to working 95 to reaching 99 with great feel and control of it.

I'd just like to hear from someone who's seen it. Scouting reports tend to be pretty much totally useless after the draft.
    I have seen him pitch, but it wasn't much really. Wish I could have seen more. I like his slider a little more than most places do, at least its potential. I have never heard of him hitting 99, the highest I have heard was 97. As a starter he works in that 91-94 range from the reports I have gotten.

I don't typically pay attention to college guys until AA, especially higher picks. But his numbers are very impressive, nonetheless.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Why take a starter who is having this much success and convert him to the bullpen? That's just stupid.

Cingrini and Corcino should be treated like the next Cueto's and Bailey's of the Reds rotation.

I mean, other than Stephenson, what serious starting pitching prospects do we have?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

I saw him pitch with Rice, but only once. To be honest, he pitched poorly that day too. Nothing about him really stood out. I'm glad it turned out to be a bad example of what he can really do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Why take a starter who is having this much success and convert him to the bullpen? That's just stupid.

Cingrini and Corcino should be treated like the next Cueto's and Bailey's of the Reds rotation.

I mean, other than Stephenson, what serious starting pitching prospects do we have?
    No one is saying to do that, but scouts are eventually saying that his lack of three quality pitches is going to catch up to him and then he will be moved to the bullpen (if he doesn't improve and get three quality pitches).

Turn Off Ads?