Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Day for College Football

All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Great Day for College Football

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    MWM, agreed about Oregon's offense. They are incredibly good, the best in the country IMO. However, injuries to killing them. Backup RB Jeremiah Johnson is out for the season, along with 2nd and 3rd WR's Brian Paysinger and Cameron Colvin. 4th WR Derrick Jones is also hurt but should be back next week. Dixon got banged up tonight but it appears to be minor. Their depth at WR is very thin now, they've already pulled the redshirt off three WR's (Scott, Davis, and Pflugrad). We'll see how this affects them down the road.
    After the Vegas bowl blowout last year, no one around here saw "this" coming. Here's today's blog entry from Bellotti's formerly strongest critic:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanza...hip_kelly.html

Anyone want Chip Kelly to head coach their Big Ten team?
    Last edited by gm; 11-04-2007 at 07:57 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Which means he's a good candidate for the Bengal's first round draft pick.
    Or maybe...they can draft Akili Dixon?
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    After the Vegas bowl blowout last year, no one around here saw "this" coming. Here's today's blog entry from Bellotti's formerly strongest critic:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanza...hip_kelly.html

Anyone want Chip Kelly to head coach their Big Ten team?
    I expected Oregon to be very good this year, maybe not National Championship contender good, but good nonetheless. Dennis Dixon has always had the talent, and he's finally putting it together as a senior. Pac-10 senior QB's always have huge seasons. Plus Jonathon Stewart is a stud at RB. He's every bit as good as McFadden and Slaton IMO.

And I disagree with TR. I think ASU is much more than a pretender. Dennis Erickson is a heckuva coach. ASU always had great talent but this year is the first time in a longtime that the coaching has been as good as the talent.

Jonathon Stewart is a good football player. But no offense, he's not in McFadden's class. Few are. If McFadden played on a decent team, he'd be all world.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm not saying Stewart is better than McFadden but he's right there with him IMO. I would rank them as:

1. McFadden
    2. Stewart
    3. Slaton

Well, my personal opinion is that the gap between McFadden and Stewart isn't small. But I also think McFadden is one of the most naturally gifted football players I've seen in a while. Stewart is good, but there's nothing all that unique about him. Any given year, there's usually a handful of really good RBs. I think that's where Stewart is. Then there's guys who come along who are a step above, such as Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, etc... I really think McFadden is in that class. He just needs a better team.
    Last edited by MWM; 11-04-2007 at 09:05 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

McFadden is much better than Stewart. It's not a fair comparison. Stewart is playing in a notoriously wide open conference and he doesn't have natural instincts. He himself has spoken on how he had to work on his vision and instincts. McFadden is playing in the SEC and has done it since day one. Nothing against Stewart, just not valid arguement, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

While I'd prefer not to see Ohio State sleepwalk and fall behind like they did, it's at least good to see them not freak out and wipe Wisconsin out late. Whoever they play in the title game is going to provide a lot more adversity than they've had to deal with so far, nice to see they can handle it.

Oregon is the #2 team in the country, it shouldn't even be up for debate. Likewise, Dennis Dixon as Heisman winner shouldn't be up for debate at this point. The Ducks looks totally legit.

On the other hand, LSU hasn't looked impressive in over a month. They're very good, but they're not near what they were hyped up to be. Inconsistent play + mad scientist coach does not = top team in the land. To me they're clearly a notch below Oregon.

Looks like the frauds have mostly been shaken out. S. Florida is in full collapse mode now, BC (who should've lost last week) finally spit the bit, and while I won't call Arizona St. a fraud it wasn't a surprise at all that they got beat down. What that does leave us with is Kansas. They've played an even softer schedule than OSU, but they do have a neutral site game against a pretty good Missouri team coming up. If they win that, they then get perennially overranked Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, a winnable game. Would the voters move a 13-0 Kansas ahead of a 12-1 LSU or 11-1 Oregon?

Mike Hart is soft. Soft as a baby's bottom. I'm not doubting his skill, but when was the last time he played an entire game? I'm tired of hearing what a warrior he is because he plays 2/3 of a season. He's going to be a bust of epic proportion in the NFL. If he can't take the beating from college kids how is he going to handle playing against grown men?

Going for it instead of kicking was almost a fireable offense for Charlie Weis. That was, without doubt, the bonehead call of the season. Even if he misses the kick you're going to OT, there's no downside to kicking. Are you really worried about giving Navy field position if you miss? Somehow I don't see the quick strike Navy offense marching down the field in the last 30 seconds and hitting a long FG to win. That was absurd. Though it was fun watching Navy win.

I think OSU showed that it has a special football team. Wisconsin isn't that bad of a football team and they played a pretty good game. The D didn't play that well but only gave up 17 points. OSU just showed another way to beat you letting Wells take over the game. The guy runs hard and as long as he hangs onto the ball he is a great back. Tressel is one of the most frustrating coaches to watch as a fan. He never deviates from his style even when all of us fans are nervous.

LSU is relying more on national reputation that any other program in football. Miles isn't a good coach and I think they lose to Arkansas in classic trap game.

Texas and Georiga may be two of the most over rated clubs in the past few years. Both teams are just not that good and are living on their name more than their play on the field.

Hart is a good back, talks a lot, and has trouble staying healthy. The problem I forsee for UM against OSU is how healthy is Hart and Henne? They will take a beating that day and have a bruising Wisconsin team to play the weak before. Hart and Henne won't be able to rest because they need to win and play a good team. I forsee a good OSU UM game I just don't think UM has the horses to play with OSU this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Even if he misses the kick you're going to OT, there's no downside to kicking.
    Well, unless your missed field goal gets returned 109 yards for a TD.

But that doesn't excuse Weis at all. That has to be one of the all-time greatest coaching blunders I have seen.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Stewart is playing in a notoriously wide open conference and he doesn't have natural instincts.
    Your first point just can't be true. Stewart is a half a yard better per carry than anyone else in that conference with 100 carries. . . Unless you want to argue that the conference is notably weak in RBs, which would be a pretty hollow argument. This is the same conference where USC has like four high school All Americans at RB.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/con...=2007&sort=ypc

Stewart's 6.5 yards per carry is nothing to sneeze at. By point of reference, Bo Jackson averaged 6.42 ypc in 1985.

Regarding your second point--Does Stewart really need outstanding natural instincts when he's built like a cement truck and runs a 4.34 forty?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    But I also think McFadden is one of the most naturally gifted football players I've seen in a while. . . He just needs a better team.
    If McFadden only needs a better team, then why is Felix Jones managing quite well with the team he has? Jones has 9.3 ypc on 110 carries. I'm asking honestly, because I haven't seen Arkansas play this year, other than McFadden's ridiculous highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    Your first point just can't be true. Stewart is a half a yard better per carry than anyone else in that conference with 100 carries. . . Unless you want to argue that the conference is notably weak in RBs, which would be a pretty hollow argument. This is the same conference where USC has like four high school All Americans at RB.

Stewart's 6.5 yards per carry is nothing to sneeze at. By point of reference, Bo Jackson averaged 6.42 ypc in 1985.

Regarding your second point--Does Stewart really need outstanding natural instincts when he's built like a cement truck and runs a 4.34 forty?

If McFadden only needs a better team, then why is Felix Jones managing quite well with the team he has? Jones has 9.3 ypc on 110 carries. I'm asking honestly, because I haven't seen Arkansas play this year, other than McFadden's ridiculous highlights.

USC hasn't figured out which RB to play. Other than Stewart what starting RB in the Pac Ten is NFL caliber? He should be dominating with the spread offense and Dixon taking so much pressure away.

And I never questioned Stewart was a great back. This debate was McFadden against Stewart and I don't think many people would think it's as close as some on this thread.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Looks like the frauds have mostly been shaken out. S. Florida is in full collapse mode now, BC (who should've lost last week) finally spit the bit, and while I won't call Arizona St. a fraud it wasn't a surprise at all that they got beat down. What that does leave us with is Kansas. They've played an even softer schedule than OSU, but they do have a neutral site game against a pretty good Missouri team coming up. If they win that, they then get perennially overranked Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, a winnable game. Would the voters move a 13-0 Kansas ahead of a 12-1 LSU or 11-1 Oregon?
    For KU to go undefeated, they would have to beat 2 Top-10 teams in Missouri and Oklahoma. That should end all the "they haven't played anyone" talk. If that happens, KU simply has to play for the national championship.

Of course, we're not there yet. There's plenty of football to be played before it comes down to that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    For KU to go undefeated, they would have to beat 2 Top-10 teams in Missouri and Oklahoma. That should end all the "they haven't played anyone" talk. If that happens, KU simply has to play for the national championship.

Of course, we're not there yet. There's plenty of football to be played before it comes down to that.
    Totally agree. It would be an absolute travesty to have an undefeated team in a BCS conference not play for the National Title over other 1 loss teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Totally agree. It would be an absolute travesty to have an undefeated team in a BCS conference not play for the National Title over other 1 loss teams.
    The National Championship pairing will be interesting this year. In addition to the scenario you listed above, how about Ohio State? What if they lose to Michigan and there are no major undefeated teams? My bet is there will be a lot of clamouring out of our state capital that OSU should be given a spot in the NC game even though they didn't even win their conference. It could happen.

Turn Off Ads?