Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greinke to the Dodgers

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Greinke to the Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What exactly are those numbers listed? Braves at 15.2 MM?
    Salary committed to 2013 (as of september I believe)

From here. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...mmitments.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Ah, thanks. I thought it was the same for both. Okay so now they're just very insane...not very, very insane.
    Actually, it is the same, they don't pay the posting fee unless they sign the player.

If the player does not sign a contract with the MLB team by the end of the signing period, the player is returned to the NPB team and the NPB team does not receive the bid money.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...Posting_System
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I know Ted Lilly and Chad Billingsley are coming off injuries, but they should be ready to start the year and so how many starters do the Dodgers need?

Clayton Kershaw
    Zack Greinke
    Ryu Hyun-Jin
    Ted Lilly
    Chad Billingsley
    Josh Beckett
    Aaron Harang
    Chris Capuano
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Actually, it is the same, they don't pay the posting fee unless they sign the player.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...Posting_System
    LOL. Well color me confused. :O) I could've swore I read somewhere that the big risk with those deals is that if you can't sign the guy you forfeit a ton of money. Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know Ted Lilly and Chad Billingsley are coming off injuries, but they should be ready to start the year and so how many starters do the Dodgers need?

Clayton Kershaw
    Zack Greinke
    Ryu Hyun-Jin
    Ted Lilly
    Chad Billingsley
    Josh Beckett
    Aaron Harang
    Chris Capuano
    They're supposedly trying to deal Harang and Capuano pretty hard for what it's worth.

I know Greinke can be nasty in any given game, but there is just something there that is hard to put your finger on that makes me glad to see the Dodgers get their next Kevin Brown. I think this will be one of those running joke contracts, in an Albert Belle sort of way.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I know Greinke can be nasty in any given game, but there is just something there that is hard to put your finger on that makes me glad to see the Dodgers get their next Kevin Brown. I think this will be one of those running joke contracts, in an Albert Belle sort of way.
    I kinda get the same vibe from him.

For the money they're spending, The Dodgers' roster isn't that imposing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I kinda get the same vibe from him.

For the money they're spending, The Dodgers' roster isn't that imposing.
    A lot of that money is tied up in the mediocrity of Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

That is insane. MLB salaries are out of whack again.
    Are they though? MLB is coming into a metric ton of money right now. Guys who signed long term deals a few years ago are probably wishing they hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Are they though? MLB is coming into a metric ton of money right now. Guys who signed long term deals a few years ago are probably wishing they hadn't.
    Just because revenues are exploding doesn't mean guys like Crawford, Beckett and Greinke are worth what they're getting paid. Sure, the Dodgers have the money. Does that mean they should spend it, even on average talent? They're going to spend themselves right into a major predicament if you ask me, explosive revenues or not.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Just because revenues are exploding doesn't mean guys like Crawford, Beckett and Greinke are worth what they're getting paid. Sure, the Dodgers have the money. Does that mean they should spend it, even on average talent? They're going to spend themselves right into a major predicament if you ask me, explosive revenues or not.
    That might just be the price of average talent now. I would rather the players get the money than the owners just pocket it by the twenties of millions. Heck, look at the prices backup/platoon players are signing for this offseason. $5-7M a season. For guys who aren't playing every day. Times have changed with these new tv deals, both for the national deal and the individual teams. The players are getting their appropriate raises based off of how much money is now available.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Salary committed to 2013 (as of september I believe)

From here. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...mmitments.html
    Dan Uggla and Brian McCann combined will make well over the Braves 15 MM that is listed. Something seems off.

edit - I'm thinking it doesn't include the option years for McCann,Hudson,etc. Info is just out of date now that they have been exercised.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 12-10-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    A lot of that money is tied up in the mediocrity of Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford.
    I think Beckett will be in for a good year with the Dodgers but agree that as a Reds fan I do not fear the Dodgers. They feel like the Mets from a few years ago. Oooh you bought Jason Bay. scary.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Watching him pitch for the Angels...and talking with Angel fans... they seemed underwhelmed, as I was about his performances. Nothing that says #1 starter at all in this last year from him. But the Dodgers were basically bidding or over bidding for themselves. Someone says they will give you $100 for something and you say...NO, I insist..I will give you $300 for it. OK? sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Watching him pitch for the Angels...and talking with Angel fans... they seemed underwhelmed, as I was about his performances. Nothing that says #1 starter at all in this last year from him. But the Dodgers were basically bidding or over bidding for themselves. Someone says they will give you $100 for something and you say...NO, I insist..I will give you $300 for it. OK? sure.
    Watching Greinke feels a lot like watching Cueto to me. You rarely get the sense that he's dominating. It's just that the outs keep coming and suddenly you look up and he's gone 6 innings, with 4 hits, 5 Ks, 0 BBs, and 1 ER.

That said, having Cueto's first 2 years of FA for $10M/yr is looking like an absolute steal -- comparable pitchers are going to be making nearly 3 times that!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?