Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Votto on Bereavement list... Rosales called up...

Re: Votto on Bereavement list... Rosales called up...

Having lost my father so many years ago, it was a devastating thing that still stays with me today. My father was 72 years old (I was a surprise late in life), but I miss his advice, his support and his just being there for me. Like many on this thread, I hope Joey is doing OK and I offer good thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

Losing a father so young is a terrible thing and while I really don't understand why he didn't want to make it public, his wishes should have been honored. Sure, it would have come out sooner than later, but it seemed a little or a lot disrepective to anounce the reason for his leave. Regardless, I hope he's dong OK.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I hope Joey is doing alright. That's got to be rough on him to leave his family so soon to get back to work. I hope he comes back and tears it up here. And win Rookie of the Year for his dad.
    One thing I feel very confident about is that Dusty Baker will do everything he can to make Votto's transition as easy as possible. He (and Walt Jocketty) will likely give Joey as much time off as he needs. Say what you want about The Dusty's in-game managerial skills, but when it comes to people skills in situations like this, he is top-shelf.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Wow. 52 is very young. I wonder if it was sudden.

When I lost dad I almost lost my mind and I was 49 at the time. My prayers are with Joey and his family. Things like this magnify the insignificance of baseball, yet magnify it's power to heal for those who love the game. I had been lukewarm as a Reds fan since the late 70s but when dad died, I found his posts on RedsZone and found myself drawn back to the Reds as a consequence. Now baseball is a big part of my life again and I always feel a connection to him when listening to games.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    When I lost dad I almost lost my mind and I was 49 at the time. My prayers are with Joey and his family. Things like this magnify the insignificance of baseball, yet magnify it's power to heal for those who love the game. I had been lukewarm as a Reds fan since the late 70s but when dad died, I found his posts on RedsZone and found myself drawn back to the Reds as a consequence. Now baseball is a big part of my life again and I always feel a connection to him when listening to games.
    Your Dad died in the late 70s but he posted on Redszone??? Am I missing something?

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Let's not pile on Matt. While I believe that the overall quality of WLW has taken a sharp decline in the last 20 years, there are still good people (like Matt) who work there.
    First, my comment wasn't intended specifically for Matt. It was intended for the media in general who are so quick to be the first in the that pool they sometimes fail to look to if its the deep end or the shallow end they are diving in to. With that said, I don't know Matt and if he was in fact not involved, it was a bit heroic of him to essentially take the blame by using the word "we" in his statement. My apologizes to Matt if he was not personally involved but my opinion of the media remains unchanged. Who ever released this information prematurely should be mortified by their own behavior.
    Last edited by Triples; 08-13-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Your Dad died in the late 70s but he posted on Redszone??? Am I missing something?
    No biggie, you just misread it. He was a FAN in the 70's...not died in the 70's. You just missed the "but".

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    No biggie, you just misread it. He was a FAN in the 70's...not died in the 70's. You just missed the "but".
    Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but RedlegJake's father is Charles Elledge aka Old Red Guard.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34411
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but RedlegJake's father is Charles Elledge aka Old Red Guard.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34411
    Yes he misread it (or more accurately I probably mis-wrote it). My dad was ORG. I was 49 when he died BUT I had become lukewarm about Reds baseball in the late 70s when the Reds were so stupid about free agency and basically let a great team go to shreds in a couple of seasons. I only became very rabid again as Dad fell ill and I began following the Reds with him and reading his posts on RedsZone. That was only a little over 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    actually, the pluperfect made it something that had occurred before some other event. The but helped, but it was fine with just the tense used.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

My prayers are with Joey. There is so much tied up in a man's relationship with his dad. I hope he is able to go on soon and grows with it. Pain is part of life, and like my father, I've always had a much easier time dealing with physical pain than emotional pain. My Da's been gone a year and a half and I still hear him speaking to me ... he lives on in my heart. I pray that Joey gets all the support he needs and more.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Prayers for the entire Votto family. 52 is for sure too young.

God bless them.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?