Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Per ESPN:

Reds agree with manager Dusty Baker on 2-year contract extension through 2014 season
    I like the move. Dusty gets the chance to finish what he's started. He's brought the team this far and I think it's his best shot for a WS title.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MBZags; 10-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Per ESPN:

I like the move. Dusty gets the chance to finish what he's started. He's brought the team this far and I think it's his best shot for a WS title.

Thoughts?
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3rvq5gIEz1r3i0u8.gif

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Per ESPN:

Thoughts?
    Yea it's not a bad deal and he could be fired next year if the team imploded and didn't make the playoffs. And anyone blaming Baker for anything that went on in the playoffs continues to be a hater. Sick of you guys making a solid manager a scapegoat when our players did not step up in the big moments and deliver in the post season and that includes the great Joey Votto. And since everyone wants to ride Dusty when he continues to play Stubbs, he might not of hit for average in the 5 playoff games but he had a double, a triple, a RBI, and scored 4 of our 24 runs. That's 17% of our runs in that series. People who continue to call out Dusty need to acknowledge when they are wrong as well but they won't.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 10-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.

<------- hater. Call me whatever you want, but Dusty deserves plenty of blame for the playoffs. At least he won't be able to roll Rolen out there in the playoffs anymore.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    <------- hater. Call me whatever you want, but Dusty deserves plenty of blame for the playoffs. At least he won't be able to roll Rolen out there in the playoffs anymore.
    Does he deserve blame for the Reds not being able to do anything with the tying run coming to the plate for 4 straight innings? Was he supposed to do anything about the errors in the infield that potentially cost us a game? Was he supposed to do anything about Votto not coming up with any clutch hits the entire series? Was he supposed to do anything about Mat Latos losing his concentration for a few batters because he got annoyed at the balls and strikes being called in game 5? Is it his fault Cueto our ACE, our best pitcher got hurt 7 pitches into his start in game 1? Damn can still add to this... Was he supposed to run out from the dugout and tackle Brandon Phillips on what turned out to be a rookie base running error in what should have been a sweep?

Tell me what was a man sitting in the dugout, a manager of one of the best regular season teams this year supposed to do about all of that? But no you'll just point at one or two plays and totally throw the blame on Dusty completely forgetting that hindsight is 20/20 and that taking a results oriented approach is ignorant.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 10-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I don't see how the manager can escape a good chunk of the blame for a post season collapse, but I for this season I guess keeping Baker is the right call. Unless there is a sure fire candidate for his replacement who can undoubtedly come in and do better immediately I don't think you give up on Baker just yet. This season is his last chance imo. Anything short of the NLCS is a failure.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Take away his favorite toys (Rolen, Stubbs), and we'll talk.

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Take away his favorite toys (Rolen, Stubbs), and we'll talk.
    Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing that series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing that series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.
    Not sure if serious
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    Not sure if serious
    Did he score 17% of our runs in the series, yes or no? Stubbs was not the problem here vs the Giants. I bring facts and logic you bring scraps and emotionally driven opinions. Just read what I wrote above and try to explain how all of those things are Mr. Dusty Baker's fault.

Good move, although health could be a concern.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Well, with an astounding sample size of five games, how could I possibly argue?

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Well, with an astounding sample size of five games, how could I possibly argue?
    A lot of people probably including yourself didn't want Stubbs playing the series, much less any this season, yet he produced at the plate with extra base hits and provided runs vs the Giants. Did he not?

He had more RBI, runs, extra base hits and less K's than Votto in the series. Read that again please! People want to hate on Stubbs and hate on Dusty, where is the hate for our best player that didn't step up? It needs to be shared and I'm tired of Dusty always being the scapegoat. I don't care who is on your team but in the playoffs if your best players don't step up then you are not going to last long in the playoffs. Votto deserves more blame than Baker and lets not use the knee as an excuse because we all know Joey wouldn't.

I like the move. We're definitely heading in the right direction and the players play hard for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like the move. We're definitely heading in the right direction and the players play hard for him.
    Not hard in the playoffs apperantly

Turn Off Ads?