Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo Reds HOF?

Arroyo Reds HOF?

i know its premature with at least one season left to pitch but these paragraphs really say a lot....and wow...he's the oldest person on the team at 36? I forget how young this team really is.

"Over his career, Arroyo has never been on the disabled list, nor missed a start. In every season since 2005, he's made at least 32 starts. His 233 starts since his 2006 trade from Boston to Cincinnati for Wily Mo Pena leads the National League. In 2010, he won a National League Gold Glove Award.

In seven of the past eight seasons, Arroyo has reached 200 innings. The one year he didn't was 2011 when he threw 199, and that was the year he was plagued by mononucleosis and a sore back"

the man has been a horse for this team.....in good times and bad. I know a lot of people don't because of whatever reasons.....I like Bronson...glad he's been with the team

2. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (02-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Arroyo Reds HOF?

If we win a WS with him on the team and contributing, yes.

If not, probably not.

the man has been a horse for this team.....in good times and bad. I know a lot of people don't because of whatever reasons.....I like Bronson...glad he's been with the team
    Most definitely. In hindsight, he was a huge pickup for us. I absolutely HATED that trade then, mostly because I hated his stupid cornrows.

I'd say yes, and an easy choice at that for me.

5 years ago I would have thought I'd be crazy for saying this, but Arroyo has risen above Harang on the totem pole of Reds starters.

Go back 25 years. (1988-present) Who are the starters that have had decent success for over 5 years for the Reds?

Off the top of my head...Rijo, Harang, Arroyo, and Cueto.

I mean its the Reds hof so id say yes

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I mean its the Reds hof so id say yes
    Hey now, it's nothing to sneeze at. We've got greats. Arroyo has been a workhorse, and if he can help us get a ring I think it's a no brainer. Otherwise I'm doubtful. His number haven't been stellar enough.
    This is the year.

Reds HOF, yes. The Reds haven't had too many better pitchers in the last 20 years. He's done everything you have asked of him. If he can help them get to World Series it will be an even more easy vote for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Go back 25 years. (1988-present) Who are the starters that have had decent success for over 5 years for the Reds?

Rijo was awesome. Harang really only had three or four really good years, he followed those up with a league leading 17 losses, and Cueto although being on the roster 5 years, really only blossomed the last three. So going back to the end of Mario Soto's career the best five-year pitchers the Reds have had are easily Rijo and Arroyo.

Yes, I think Bronson is a Reds Hall of Famer. No, I don't think it's close.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Yes, if only because I still listed to Red Hooded Sweatshirt on loop and crack up every time.

In all seriousness though, the guy is definitely a Reds HOFer. One of the few bright spots from 2006-2010, and a fun guy to cheer for

12. Likes:

If Wayne Granger is in the Reds HOF then Arroyo is a no brainer.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think its a no brainer IMO. Hes been great in his years with the Reds. And like a few other posters said, he was one of the very few bright spots from the hard to watch teams of 2006-2010. Maybe it was the great defense of Dunn and company though that inflated his numbers

If you're only considering stats, then no. Arroyo has been a solid innings eater, but has never really been a stopper by any definition (except 2006).

However, when talking about the Reds' Hall, I guess you need to consider how much a guy means to a community and an organization, as well as general popularity. On all of those counts he qualifies, so I'd say yes...

I don't think there really is much of a question. As multiple posters have said, there just haven't been many Reds pitchers over the last two-plus decades that have had consistent, positive production like Bronson (aside from maybe a couple of iffy seasons). Statistics aside, this is a guy that has been a loyal teammate, a positive clubhouse presence, and a workhorse in every sense of the word. A true Reds Hall of Famer, without a doubt.

That said, it would be really nice to send him off with a World Series victory if he is indeed destined to part ways following the conclusion of this season. He has stuck it out with some pretty “meh” teams over the years, and it would be nice to reward his loyalty and leadership with an historical October.

Arroyo has been a fixture on a team that hasn't had many.

Solid numbers over a long enough stretch of time can mean as much (or more) than one or two seasons of really good numbers, at least in terms of what it can mean to a single franchise.

Arroyo would have to get my vote for the Reds HoF... but maybe not the first ballot

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd say yes, and an easy choice at that for me.

5 years ago I would have thought I'd be crazy for saying this, but Arroyo has risen above Harang on the totem pole of Reds starters.

I'd add Browning to your list. But, yes I agree Arroyo is among the top 5 starters for certain in the last 25 yrs. Heck I'd even narrow it to those with success for 3 consecutive years and he'd be on the list.

19. Likes:

Turn Off Ads?