Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: How bad are the Bengals going to be next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    In my mind, I just can't picture any scenario where this team wins more than 3 games. This season will set the fan base back 5 years. Blackouts galore!
    Call me crazy, but I think this team will exceed expectations and win 6-7 games. My thought is in 2009 they were an 8-8 team that got lucky more often than unlucky and went 10-6. Last year they were a 7-9 team that was more unlucky then lucky and went 5-11. I think they're less talented this year than last year, but the correct base to judge from is a team that "should" have gone 7-9.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Call me crazy
    You're crazy!

I usually find a way to be optimistic about them no matter how bad they appear. It's not happening this year though. They have a rookie QB. They lost their best defensive player, JJ. They just lost Muckelroy for the year. They have no safeties. No running back. No depth. A weak O-line. Bad coach. Even if everyone stayed healthy, I'm not seeing 5 wins. Wait til the injuries start piling up. It's going to be really, really ugly.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I like Andy Dalton, but I sure would LOVE to have Andrew Luck. Here's to Brown continuing to sit on his hands.

That said, I'd really like to understand how this cap situation works. How will the 99% rule be enforced if it's league-wide?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-31-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How many times has this happened in the draft? The two that I can remember are Eli and Elway 20 odd years ago. It doesn't happen often and I doubt Luck does that. As bad as the Bengals are Palmer won and had his chances to win here. IMO Palmer wasn't as successful as he wanted to be more because of him than what surrounded him.
    Can't forget about Bo.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

So, has anyone told Mike Brown the season has started and they can sign guys?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, has anyone told Mike Brown the season has started and they can sign guys?
    Dude, that like, costs money and stuff.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

They did get Nate Clements, and rumor is they are about to get Donte Whitner. I really have no idea if those guys are still any good.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Mike Brown doesn't care about the fans. Why should I care about the team? They don't deserve this city's support, plain and simple. Cincinnati has never had an NBA team in my lifetime, so I've always been an NBA nomad. And I think that's in the near future in regards to the NFL.
    We will welcome you as a Jags fan. I (as former Buckeye) was a Bengals fan forever. But eventually the fact that Mike Brown just doesn't care wears you down.

Here in Jax you have a team (and an owner) fighting for their survival. An owner that won't even listen to LA when they call. That when they were handing out franchises was told a franchise was his.... all he had to do was turn his back on Jacksonville, and he refused.

We have a GM that says character matters, and has rid his team of the bad guys.

Just one thing... you have to like rooting for the underdog.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    We will welcome you as a Jags fan. I (as former Buckeye) was a Bengals fan forever. But eventually the fact that Mike Brown just doesn't care wears you down.

Here in Jax you have a team (and an owner) fighting for their survival. An owner that won't even listen to LA when they call. That when they were handing out franchises was told a franchise was his.... all he had to do was turn his back on Jacksonville, and he refused.

I have entertained the thought of becoming a full-time Jags fan. I live an hour from Jax and I like the team, although I despise Del Rio. I go to about 3 games a year. If things get much worse here in Bengaldom I may officially make the switch, [jake gyllenhall] but my heart won't let me quit them [/jake gyllenhall] and I have no faith the team won't eventually move to LA.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Interesting. I've never been able to adopt a new team in the places I lived. I tried in Minnesota in the late 2000s, but I couldn't become a full-blown fan. I'd love to divorce the Bengals and I have some serious feelings of hostility for Mike Brown, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't do it. I've been in Jax for a little over a year now. Maybe I'll see if they can capture me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I have entertained the thought of becoming a full-time Jags fan. I live an hour from Jax and I like the team, although I despise Del Rio. I go to about 3 games a year. If things get much worse here in Bengaldom I may officially make the switch, [jake gyllenhall] but my heart won't let me quit them [/jake gyllenhall] and I have no faith the team won't eventually move to LA.
    Jump on over to Tampa Bay -- I've been a Bucs fan my entire life, and I've never been more excited for a team (including the Super Bowl year) than this one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Bengals remain my #2 (ironically), but Jags are #1 for me now. Took a while, but about 8 years of one owner not caring and the other fighting with everything he's got to make the switch.

I've given up on trying to not be a Bengals fan. It is what it is at this point, I can't change.

I'm going to outlive Mike Brown.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

If I ever do make "the switch," it would be between Tampa Bay and Jax, with Miami a distant 3rd. Truthfully, though, it will never happen. Like Redsfaithful, I probably couldn't ever do it. And I, as well, barring a disaster, will outlive Mike Brown. What scares the hell out of me is the fact that he could just turn things over to Katie when he does pass. THAT might be the final straw for me.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

How bad, so bad we'll long for Dick LeBeau.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?