Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo signed with Arizona Diamondbacks.

Re: Bronson Arroyo says he hasn't received a single offer

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Latos, Bailey and Chapman all had ERA higher than their FIP. The defense definitely helped the Reds pitching staff, but some pitchers have been able to take advantage of it better than others.

But I agree that Arroyo won't do as well in front of a mediocre defense.
    No disagreement there.

Tony Cingrani 1.3 fWAR 2.2 bWAR last year.

Arroyo 0.8 and 2.5 respectively.

It's time to move on. Especially now that Arroyo's cost is a known entity.

Bronson certainly is a unique bird.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Anyone doubt now that offering Arroyo arbitration would have resulted in him accepting a 1-year, $14M contract?

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Anyone doubt now that offering Arroyo arbitration would have resulted in him accepting a 1-year, $14M contract?
    I wouldn't have had a problem with that actually. It's the added years that I wouldn't be too keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Latos, Bailey and Chapman all had ERA higher than their FIP. The defense definitely helped the Reds pitching staff, but some pitchers have been able to take advantage of it better than others.

But I agree that Arroyo won't do as well in front of a mediocre defense.
    Good news for Arroyo is Arizona is better defensively at all positions except 2B and 3B (and maybe LF now that Trumbo is there). The bad news is how the dry air impacts breaking balls. I think Bronson is going to struggle in AZ, not because of defense or how the ball flies, but because he's not a power guy and I think that dry air will impact his command on the junk that he throws.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

757690 (02-08-2014),wlf WV (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good news for Arroyo is Arizona is better defensively at all positions except 2B and 3B (and maybe LF now that Trumbo is there). The bad news is how the dry air impacts breaking balls. I think Bronson is going to struggle in AZ, not because of defense or how the ball flies, but because he's not a power guy and I think that dry air will impact his command on the junk that he throws.
    I know, small sample and all, but he is 4-1 with a 3.20 ERA in 6 career starts there. One of his better road parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I know, small sample and all, but he is 4-1 with a 3.20 ERA in 6 career starts there. One of his better road parks.
    Good. I hope I'm wrong. I like Arroyo and always have. He didn't fit on the Reds and it was time to move on, but I hope he does well. If he does, the D-Backs will be even more of a team to contend with. They look pretty darned good to me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

wlf WV (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good. I hope I'm wrong. I like Arroyo and always have. He didn't fit on the Reds and it was time to move on, but I hope he does well. If he does, the D-Backs will be even more of a team to contend with. They look pretty darned good to me.
    I agree. I wish Bronson well. He is easily a future member of the Reds Hall of Fame.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

757690 (02-08-2014),Big Klu (02-08-2014),Roy Tucker (02-09-2014),wlf WV (02-09-2014)

"So Fla Red"

Bronson landed about where I thought at 2 yrs/18-20. Nice getting some change for the third year option. Arroyo was a great asset to the Reds through some lean years and then the good years. The qualifying offer would have been taken and the Reds couldn't afford that risk. His gem vs. the Giants in Game 2 showed how nails he was when the pressure was on. Shame he didn't get more postseason starts as a Red.

Chase Field is a hitters park, but he'll be loving all those starts in the California ballparks.

The offseason of nothingness for the Reds just got a little more empty. Pray for good health for the starting five.

Best of luck to Arroyo in Arizona (except against the Reds, of course). He was as durable as they come and logged a ton of innings each season for the Reds, all at an above average clip. It was likely time to part ways with him rather than committing a pile of cash, but I'll still miss him.

He'll be deserving of a plaque on Joe Nuxhall Way once he hangs'em up for good.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

14. Likes:

Big Klu (02-09-2014),CySeymour (02-08-2014),Red Raindog (02-09-2014),redsmetz (02-08-2014),Revering4Blue (02-08-2014),Rockermann (02-08-2014),Roy Tucker (02-09-2014),Stingray (02-09-2014),wlf WV (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Bronson landed about where I thought at 2 yrs/18-20. Nice getting some change for the third year option. .
    It'll be closer to 2-24 if the Diamondbacks want to buy out the option. The buyout is 4.5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It'll be closer to 2-24 if the Diamondbacks want to buy out the option. The buyout is 4.5 million.
    Yeah, I misunderstood the original reports.

Apparently it's $19 million for two years of salary and $4.3 million buyout.

So for two years of pitching Arroyo gets $23.5 million. That's a bit under $12 million per year all included.

Seems fair, but still would not justify a qualifying offer by the Reds. Reds clearly made the correct decision.

I always liked him. He is a smart guy (judging from interviews and others talk about him) and found a niche to be succesful in the mlb without having that great pitches.

If the front office would know about bailey´s future a little more (for example if they would have known that he won´t sign a lt extension), I would have made him a qualified offer.

if he accepts it, you overpay him for one year and can trade bailey. if not you´ll get something for him...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    To supplement the post a couple back.

Bronson Arroyo career xFIP 4.39.

Bronson Arroyo career ERA 4.19.

I have no problem granting you that.
    The difference is mostly due to the defense behind him. Claiming WAR doesn't work for Bronson gives credit to the wrong place.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The difference is mostly due to the defense behind him. Claiming WAR doesn't work for Bronson gives credit to the wrong place.
    I don't know if you are talking to me or just adding onto my post. But in case my tone was missed, I have to admit I put that up rather facetiously. The difference between the 2 stats mentioned was so small it doesn't bother me. Most Reds starters of recent times have had ERAs that are better than predicted by FIP/xFIP...except Homer, which might be interesting to dive into one day.

Now I did say due to Bronson not being your normal pitcher, I can understand some wiggle room on his WAR, but not to a significant extent.

Can we get a thread title change?

Turn Off Ads?