Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordero for Upton?

Cordero for Upton?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...n-bradley.html

Tampa Bay figures to explore the market for B.J. Upton this offseason. The Rays would be selling low, but they have needs behind the plate and in the bullpen, and it's possible a team could offer a package that would satisfy those needs. If they don't get an offer to their liking, Tampa will simply hold onto him.
    Not sure what the payroll for the Rays looks like, but they sure need a closer.
    The article says they want a catcher and a closer.

How about Cordero and Hanigan for Upton and Navarro?

Love to buy low on talents like Upton. He still was a two win player in this off year, and should be a 4 to 5 win player in the future, if he develops properly.

If they can't afford Cordero, how about Masset instead?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cordero for Upton?

Cordero on the block twice today!

I could see Tampa trading for Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    [

How about Cordero and Hanigan for Upton and Navarro?

Love to buy low on talents like Upton. He still was a two win player in this off year, and should be a 4 to 5 win player in the future, if he develops properly.

If they can't afford Cordero, how about Masset instead?
    Ain't gonna happen.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I could see Tampa trading for Alonso.
    Yeah I've long felt he would fit perfectly for Tampa.

Cordero wouldn't work for Tampa. Although they do need to rework their bullpen they can't afford that expensive an arm. And I think a talent like Upton has more value than Cordero anyway.

Yeah, I think that would be an obvious walk-away steal for the Reds...unfortunately, too much of one to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ain't gonna happen.
    Of course it ain't gonna happen. These trade speculations never do.

But if we end discussion on trade ideas based on their likelyhood, Redszone would be a very boring board. :
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Fwiw, I still don't think Cordero will be dealt until at least next summer.

But Upton might be.

I'm not sure about the catchers but if the Reds asked about Upton (and hopefully Brignac) Alonso, a young/cheap reliever, and maybe Dickerson could be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Fwiw, I still don't think Cordero will be dealt until at least next summer.

But Upton might be.

I'm not sure about the catchers but if the Reds asked about Upton (and hopefully Brignac) Alonso, a young/cheap reliever, and maybe Dickerson could be a start.
    I might be in the minority, but while I recognize Upton's overall value, I have little interest in him.

If the Reds want to find an intriguing shortstop option, however, sign me up for the Reid Brignac flier. I'm not convinced of his short-term ability to step in and upgrade the position, but he would be a low-cost investment and has the potential to hold down the position for several years.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd rather go after Brignac (and one of their young starting pitcher prospects) too. But why do you have little interest in Upton?

Reds fans would eat Upton for lunch given his perceived lack of hustle. He'd always be one of something short of what he should be in a lot of people's minds.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'd rather go after Brignac (and one of their young starting pitcher prospects) too. But why do you have little interest in Upton?
    His inconsistency and (perhaps related) seemingly lethargic attitude at times. When he plays inspired, he certainly gloves an awful lot out there in center. And he still has enormous ability to swing the bat, but I'm not sure we even know what the real offensive Upton is - he's been all over the map.

A partial season of 733 OPS and partial season of 593 OPS.
    A full season of 894, full season of 784 and this season 675.

I just simply don't trust him - certainly not for Arbitration eligible salary. Considering the talent it would likely take to acquire him, I think the Reds are better off just riding out Stubbs and taking their chances with him. If Upton were more stable, I'd feel differently. But he's too hard to figure.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

No way Tampa takes on any kind of $$$ in any deal, if anything they will be looking to deal expense like Crawford while holding on to younger cheaper talent.

That being said I could see Tampa being interested in Massett however the Reds OF is looking rather crowded right now.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Getting rid of CoCo would make my day. Why? Because he eats up so much of the resources we need to improve the club. One of Krivsky's biggest blunders was signing a so-called elite closer for a team who hadn't had a winning season in forever. Look at the Cardinals. They chose a Reds castoff as their closer, but that's not the point.

The point is there are a lot of pitchers who could close for the Reds for a lot less money. I hope they explore these options. When and if this team gets near to contending, then let's explore the high priced closer. Until then, Massett will do.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    No way Tampa takes on any kind of $$$ in any deal, if anything they will be looking to deal expense like Crawford while holding on to younger cheaper talent.

That being said I could see Tampa being interested in Massett however the Reds OF is looking rather crowded right now.
    Agree. I think trying to move Coco is the right idea, but TB won't be a likely destination IMO. The Rays have over $10 Million coming off the books from the pen in Percival, Bradford and Springer. Its possible that if the Reds ate about $5 Million per year, the Rays would take Coco, but its doubtful. I think they'll try to fill the pen on the cheap and use that money to hang onto other players. Navarro and Brignac isn't a bad idea though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?