Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Umpire tosses the Music intern in minor league game

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Umpire tosses the Music intern in minor league game

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

Nothing was funny for Seneca. After a questionable play at first base, Harper argued the call with infield umpire Ramon Hernandez. Daytona first baseman Taylor Davis appeared to pick a ball in the dirt thrown by shortstop Tim Saunders, but it came out of his glove when he turned to toss it around the infield. Hernandez ruled Davis had bobbled the ball rather than dropping it on the transfer and declared Fort Myers' Andy Leer safe.

Dye, a Cubs intern from the University of Illinois, fired up one of his new music clips -- an organ version of "Three Blind Mice," the well-known English nursery rhyme about visually impaired rodents getting into a scuffle with a farmer's wife.

Now this is something you don't see every day.

There is video at the link.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Umpire tosses the Music intern in minor league game

I worked with an umpire who dumped an organist for playing the Mickey Mouse theme song in a AAA game back in the early 80's.

I dumped an PA announcer once in a HS game a few years back. The coach wouldn't make the PA announcer leave so I ended up forfeiting the game. Of course this had to happen in the 7th inning and not the 1st.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

DJs are there for fan entertainment. Nothing they do should justify a tossing.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've heard of organists getting tossed for playing "Three Blind Mice" before. Interns don't know any better. Old guys like us remember.

Brantley and Kelch were discussing the other night how umpires are getting thinner skins and escalating confrontations, instead of cooling them down. This is not the time to be taunting them with music.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    It's called a PA announcer and not a DJ.

If someone associated with a team is doing something insulting or demeaning to an umpire then yes it is grounds for ejection. I have seen trainers, batboys, scorekeepers etc... that were ejected and they were all warranted.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    It's called a PA announcer and not a DJ.

If someone associated with a team is doing something insulting or demeaning to an umpire then yes it is grounds for ejection. I have seen trainers, batboys, scorekeepers etc... that were ejected and they were all warranted.
    No, they don't. That's ludicrous. The organist is entertaining the fans. Yes, at the expense of a perceived bad call, but get over it, it comes with the territory. Most umpires would realize they miss some. He need to lighten up. That's absurd. I've umpired before and I wouldn't even think of it, I'd laugh it off. I was a high school soccer coach at one point, and fans yelled at a referee one time for being "blind". The center official stopped the game, called the coaches and my AD to the sideline and told us (me and the AD as it was our home game) that he wanted the stands cleared. My AD told him he could leave, and we'd finish with a two man crew (two side judges) and he'd stop payment on his check. Needless to say, the game continued, and no one got hurt or anything. Other than the referee's bruised ego.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    No, they don't. That's ludicrous. The organist is entertaining the fans. Yes, at the expense of a perceived bad call, but get over it, it comes with the territory. Most umpires would realize they miss some. He need to lighten up. That's absurd. I've umpired before and I wouldn't even think of it, I'd laugh it off. I was a high school soccer coach at one point, and fans yelled at a referee one time for being "blind". The center official stopped the game, called the coaches and my AD to the sideline and told us (me and the AD as it was our home game) that he wanted the stands cleared. My AD told him he could leave, and we'd finish with a two man crew (two side judges) and he'd stop payment on his check. Needless to say, the game continued, and no one got hurt or anything. Other than the referee's bruised ego.
    You umpired at what level?

I was a high school soccer coach at one point, and fans yelled at a referee one time for being "blind". The center official stopped the game, called the coaches and my AD to the sideline and told us (me and the AD as it was our home game) that he wanted the stands cleared. My AD told him he could leave, and we'd finish with a two man crew (two side judges) and he'd stop payment on his check. Needless to say, the game continued, and no one got hurt or anything. Other than the referee's bruised ego.
    Also in this situation the other two referees need to realize they are a team and if the AD told one of the referees to leave then all the referees should have left. Being part of a officiating crew is being part of a team and you don't let a team member be treated as such by an AD. Now having said that I think the referee may have overreacted by wanting the stands cleared for such a minor offense but regardless, the other ref's were wrong for letting the AD do what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Also in this situation the other two referees need to realize they are a team and if the AD told one of the referees to leave then all the referees should have left. Being part of a officiating crew is being part of a team and you don't let a team member be treated as such by an AD. Now having said that I think the referee may have overreacted by wanting the stands cleared for such a minor offense but regardless, the other ref's were wrong for letting the AD do what he did.
    I understand that, but the referee was way out of line, and overstepping his bounds. Thankfully, I think the other two were so dumbfounded, and had some common sense they didn't say anything. I've seen a lot of officials, referees, and umpires get waaaaaaaaay too power hungry in my day, and I think tossing an organist for making light of a call is a great example of that. Really the only way a fan or someone else should be tossed if if they are doing something dangerous, or infringing on other fan's right to enjoy a game (obnoxiously drunk or something ludicrous). For goodness sake, it's a game. And again, I think most umpires, officials, etc. get that some heat is part of the game, it comes with the job.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 08-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I understand that, but the referee was way out of line, and overstepping his bounds. Thankfully, I think the other two were so dumbfounded, and had some common sense they didn't say anything. I've seen a lot of officials, referees, and umpires get waaaaaaaaay too power hungry in my day, and I think tossing an organist for making light of a call is a great example of that.
    Well his partners should have pulled him aside and told him not to clear the stands if in fact tell him what he was doing was wrong. I wasn't there but they share some of the blame by not stopping what he wanted to do. But they also were very wrong in letting and AD do what he did to the ref. I promise you if I ever heard an AD tell my partner what the AD told that ref I would be off the field in no time in support of my partner. Bottom line is the whole thing sounds messed up.

As far as the organist being dumped, he is employed by the team and thus any actions or comments he makes can result in ejection. I see this thing as being an issue of consistency, if an organist who is emplyed by the club can mock the umpires then why can't the players, managers, grounds crew etc??? Your setting a bad precedent by letting some employees of the team mock you and not let others.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    This is how the guy used to have to do his job, announcing the at bats etc..

Not needling the guys in between the lines.

I posted this story over on the minor league forum about an hour ago.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...53#post2689153
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

For a Level Playing Field

Mocking an umpire's call with music right after the call? You get what you deserve. You are belittling the person's ability to do the job he/she gets paid to do. Guess what? An umpire has the right to eject anyone. Not sure the fans paid ticket owes them the right to watch a professional get belittled for the job they are paid to do.

Hopefully the intern has learned a lesson.

In basketall, football and a lesser extent baseball (outside of the umpire, there aren't nearly as many close decisions each game, or calls of judgement like in football or basketball) an umpire almost has to expect to hear some boos. I'd almost go as far as saying if they don't hear some booing from the home fans, then they're likely not doing their job. The home fans obviously think every call should go their way, if they're not booing you, then you may not be calling things even-steven.

throwing out the DJ for playing 3 blind mice after a close call is bush league. I could see if if the guy continued to do so after every call, but grow some thicker skin and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Mocking an umpire's call with music right after the call? You get what you deserve. You are belittling the person's ability to do the job he/she gets paid to do. Guess what? An umpire has the right to eject anyone. Not sure the fans paid ticket owes them the right to watch a professional get belittled for the job they are paid to do.

Hopefully the intern has learned a lesson.
    So does an oppossing player have the right to eject oppossing fans who mock him too much for poor plays in or off the field?

Turn Off Ads?