Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

I think when it comes to bench players looking at one season can be misleading. The career stats of a guy like Hanahan is probably more indicative going forward even as bad as his power was last season.

Career wise his OPS sits at .665, and he's generally played very good defense. Does that make him an elite bench player? I'd say it's pretty hard to call him that. He's a guy with a glove and can handle the bat enough to not be an auto out.

He's a fine bench player. I don't think there's a whole lot else that needs to be said about him.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-07-2014),Old school 1983 (02-07-2014),REDREAD (02-07-2014),Tom Servo (02-07-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    How a LHH 3B can get 93.2% of his PA against RHP and still manage to OPS 0.605 is beyond me.

He reminded me of Paul Bako at the plate.
    Ok, but Hannahan had only 162 PAs and 139 official at bats last season. The previous two years he was over 300 PAs. He really didn't get much of a chance.

As a seasoned bench player, you could argue that he knows he needs to perform in limited at bats.

But he was adjusting to new pitchers in a new league and didn't get much playing time to get on track.

Hannahan had a horrendous May and June and didn't get much opportunity to come back after that.

The guy is capable of better hitting and IMO he should get the shot. Frankly, I'd like to see him double as the backup shortstop so the Reds could add another bat to the bench. I'm not in favor of a no-hit backup shortstop holding down still another bench slot. Hannahan is a gifted fielder, I can't believe he wouldn't play reasonable SS in a pinch. Hope he plays some short in spring training to test this premise.

5. Likes:

jimbo (02-07-2014),Old school 1983 (02-07-2014),Tom Servo (02-07-2014)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Schottzie was enthusiastic when he saw all that green plastic.
    some of us old timers remember how excited Schottzie got before getting banned from the field by the league
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

7. Likes:

malcontent (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I like Heisey's enthusiasm, but he has one of the lowest baseball IQ's from a Red can remember.
    The only guy worse is Dave Sappelt
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

9. Likes:

757690 (02-09-2014)

Recalling all the scorn heaped on Juan Castro, it's hard to reconcile with the Hannahan-love.

I don't care how elite his glove is, if a guy can't hit then he'd better be adept at least three positions.

And I don't even like the glove-first model for back-up shortstops, much less 3rd. What you want is someone who can start 10-15 games a year, play steady-eddy defense and not be a sure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Recalling all the scorn heaped on Juan Castro, it's hard to reconcile with the Hannahan-love.

I don't care how elite his glove is, if a guy can't hit then he'd better be adept at least three positions.

And I don't even like the glove-first model for back-up shortstops, much less 3rd. What you want is someone who can start 10-15 games a year, play steady-eddy defense and not be a sure out.
    Hannahan's lifetime OPS is 70 points higher than Juan Castro's.

To determine Hannahan's offensive ability it is probably fairest to look beyond one year.

Hannahan is not a sure out. His OBP over the last three years has been decent. Many Reds get on base at a lower clip, including several starters. Hannahan just hasn't hit for any power.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hannahan's lifetime OPS is 70 points higher than Juan Castro's.

To determine Hannahan's offensive ability it is probably fairest to look beyond one year.

Hannahan is not a sure out. His OBP over the last three years has been decent. Many Reds get on base at a lower clip, including several starters. Hannahan just hasn't hit for any power.
    Is it fair to say that the bench can do better than having Hannahan and Santiago gathering splinters?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The only guy worse is Dave Sappelt
    I don't know, outside of hitting I thought Xavier Paul had a pretty low baseball IQ.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I did. He got above the putrid line once, two years ago. He can't hit. He's 34. He only plays 3rd. A waste of money and a roster spot.
    Last edited by Rojo; 02-07-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I don't know, outside of hitting I thought Xavier Paul had a pretty low baseball IQ.
    Xavier Paul>Chris Heisey>Dave Sappelt

I'll add that Heisey's career pinch-hitting line is 287/352/553 even after a bad 2013.

It's perhaps too small a sample size (108 AB's), but considering he can also play all three OF spots reasonably and can run a bit. I think Heisey's a fine bench guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Xavier Paul>Chris Heisey>Dave Sappelt
    Gonna have to disagree with you there, respectfully. Remember, I said outside of hitting. Heisey at least is a competent outfielder. Paul sometimes looked like he didn't know what his glove was for.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

The need for stronger bench bats might not be so dire also if the Reds were solid at all eight lineup spots and/or had a stable full of young position studs knocking on the door at L'ville. As it stands though, they have neither. We're wishin' andhopin' at five of the eight lineup positions and there' s nothing to speak of at L'ville. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt to have a LH OF with pop up who could split time with Ludwick and Billy or a reserve corner IF who could spell Frazier (if need be) and you didn't wish you could find a way to bat 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you there, respectfully. Remember, I said outside of hitting. Heisey at least is a competent outfielder. Paul sometimes looked like he didn't know what his glove was for.
    Baseball IQ is not about foot speed. Chris Heisey makes mistakes that make me scream at the TV, at the plate, in the field, and on the basepaths.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I think that the fact that this team has ZERO speed outside Hamilton will bode well for Bernadina, when it's time to head ENE.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?