Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umpires in the Postseason

Umpires in the Postseason

What we are finding out in the playoffs so far is that replay needs to be expanded post haste. IMO,umpiring is at its all time worst. I go back 40 years watching baseball and I can't remember umpiring being consistently bad as it has been this season. Bud and the owners need to get their head out of the sand and expand replay as much as possible. If umpires aren't capable of making the right calls then they need a little help. Just make too much sense.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Division Series Open Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    What we are finding out in the playoffs so far is that replay needs to be expanded post haste. IMO,umpiring is at its all time worst. I go back 40 years watching baseball and I can't remember umpiring being consistently bad as it has been this season. Bud and the owners need to get their head out of the sand and expand replay as much as possible. If umpires aren't capable of making the right calls then they need a little help. Just make too much sense.

Can't do it. People think replay holds up the game. Of course managers arguing about a call does the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    What we are finding out in the playoffs so far is that replay needs to be expanded post haste. IMO,umpiring is at its all time worst. go back 40 years watching baseball and I can't remember umpiring being consistently bad as it has been this season I. Bud and the owners need to get their head out of the sand and expand replay as much as possible. If umpires aren't capable of making the right calls then they need a little help. Just make too much sense.
    I am not excusing the missed calls in the past few days but umpiring today is light years better than it was 20-30 years ago. It isn't even close in fact. I have a hard time watching videos of game of those eras because the positioning and technique used years ago was incredibly bad.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Can't do it. People think replay holds up the game. Of course managers arguing about a call does the same thing.
    Those same people thought automobiles were a passing fad too.

Most calls could be reviewed and decided in less than a minute. Just have a replay official watching every call. Buzz down to the crew chief when there's a problem and tell him, bad call buddy, call overruled by replay.
    There would be some calls that take longer but I would say those calls would be argued by the manager for what the length of time it would take to review. Baseball moves at slow speed on everything so I doubt I will ever see this happen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Am I reading the Hunter Wendelstedt strike zone plot from last night correctly? Red means called strike, and green means called ball? There is a green square right smack in the middle of the plot, and he's got red ones all over the place.

That guy's a joke of an umpire...but we already knew that.

Sure we can complain about the umpiring all we want but the fact of the matter is if the Braves would have made plays or scored some runs it would be a moot point. Perhaps the runner was out at second. But don't give the 8th hitter a cookie with the pitcher on deck or tell Omar Infante to field a routine ground ball and it doesn't matter. Perhaps Michael Young didn't check his swing on that pitch (one of the loosest rules in baseball) but don't give up a bomb the next pitch.

The teams that win are making plays and the teams that lose are complaining about the umpires...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Am I reading the Hunter Wendelstedt strike zone plot from last night correctly? Red means called strike, and green means called ball? There is a green square right smack in the middle of the plot, and he's got red ones all over the place.

Hunter has gotten much better but he is still very bad.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Hunter has gotten much better but he is still very bad.
    I watched a lot of this game and his strike and ball calls had me completely baffled. I have to imagine the hitters were at a loss as well. I think that's why most of the Yankees just started hacking at the first good pitch that they saw.

Although one thing I noticed is that a few times Mauer would set up all the way to one side of the plate and and if Pavano missed his target to the other side, even if it looked like a good pitch, Mauer would lunge way over to catch the ball and it had the appearance of wildness ... if that makes sense.

Catchers in general seem to move way too much behind the plate these days. Staying still and framing pitches is a lost art.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I watched a lot of this game and his strike and ball calls had me completely baffled. I have to imagine the hitters were at a loss as well. I think that's why most of the Yankees just started hacking at the first good pitch that they saw.

To quote a friend of mine who worked AAA baseball.

"Hunter won the gene pool lottery"

The bottom line is, you cannot look through cameras anymore and expect human eyes to come close. It's like expecting people to run as fast as cars, the technology has created an unfair standard. Either make the decision to let the cameras do the job or live with a job that we can all now plainly see that humans cannot perform very well.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post

Wow! Leslie Nielsen did a better job of umpiring in "The Naked Gun."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Wow! Leslie Nielsen did a better job of umpiring in "The Naked Gun."

Plus he was a better dancer.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Eventually, the ubiquity of technology highlighting their mistakes will become a greater embarrassment than simply accepting the help that the technology can provide. At that point, the umps will be leading the push for technology integration.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Umpires in the Postseason

Just as everyone feared, the umpires have already had some notable blown calls, one of which directly affected the outcome of the game, and others which nearly did.

Yanks-Twins Game 1: fly ball to right field in the 9th inning with two outs was said to hit the ground when it was clearly caught by the RFer. Did not affect the final score, but did bring up Thome representing the tying run to the plate with Mariano Rivera on the mound. Can you imagine if Thome had hit a HR and tied the game? There would have absolute outrage, especially since it happened against the Yankees.

Giants-Braves Game 1: Buster Posey was thrown out at 2nd base, the only problem is that the umpire called him safe. Former Red Cody Ross promptly hits him in for the only run of the game. The second base umpire affected the outcome of the game.

These were the notable ones, but there were also errors on checked swings, such as Michael Young's obvious swing which was not called a strike and he hit a HR the next pitch, and the home plate umpires have not been superb. I read somewhere that the umpire in the Yanks game blew 31 ball/strike calls. That's pathetic. The worst part is that umpires are only needed for the very close calls. The other ones are obvious. So these umpires, who are supposed to the best of the best, are screwing up the calls where we really need them.

The call by the RF ump in the Yanks game is inexcusable. That's probably the only call he had to make that whole game and he said Golson scooped it, when even in real time it was pretty obvious he caught it. I just heard on ESPN that the MLB and umps are going to meet in December and discuss expanded replay. Bout time, although they have already affected outcomes of games in the playoffs.
    Votto for MVP

Re: Umpires in the Postseason

As I said in the other thread, when the embarrassment from the technology showing their frequent mistakes hits a certain point, umps will lead the charge in instituting an effective system for providing them technological assistance.

For players, coaches, etc. it evens out in time. For umps, all missed calls are bad. Nobody wants to be the next Jim Joyce, especially not in the playoffs. They, more than anybody else involved, have a vested interest in getting it right.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?