Turn Off Ads?
Page 71 of 83 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1235

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I bet the players aren't. People have incredibly low expectations if they are satisfied with just making the play-in game.
    Where are you getting the idea that anybody is satisfied if they make the wildcard play-in and lose? All Brutus pointed out was that Walt is lightyears ahead of where we were in terms of playoff appearances. We could win the wild card playoff and go on to win the World Series, but you have to be in first.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Brutus (07-31-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I bet the players aren't. People have incredibly low expectations if they are satisfied with just making the play-in game.
    Oh I bet they are. Expectations shouldn't be to just make the playoffs, but I wouldn't consider it a huge failure either if they lost the play in game. World Series or bust comes from fans with unreasonable expectations!!!

Or, perhaps players are realistic that winning anything in the playoffs is difficult and not guaranteed, and they should be grateful for whatever accomplishments that do come along.

Nonetheless, this isn't the real issue. No one is debating you that it would be mildly disappointing to "only" make the playoffs (and yes, it IS the playoffs). But that doesn't mean the Reds' front office is incompetent or messed up. They have this franchise in the position to make the postseason regularly. Not many clubs can say that. Whether you like it or not, winning in the postseason is a complete and total crapshoot. It's not a given. Players and front office people know that. Fans should have learned it by now. The best you can do as a GM is to get a club into the playoffs. After that, you're at the mercy of performance in a small series.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

6. Likes:

REDREAD (07-31-2013),wolfboy (07-31-2013)

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 47m
    Rangers have inquired on Jose Bautista, source confirms @DannyKnoblerCBS report. Deal does not appear likely at this point.

Mez and Choo are not in this afternoon's lineup. They must be getting traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...30549707300864

I wouldn't give up much, but he could be a boost vs. lefties and solid Ludwick-insurance.
    Byrd or Morse are the only two guys I can see the Reds walking away with today.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

It is technically the playoffs, but if you lose that game, to me it's not much different than not being in the playoffs altogether. The same disappointment.

Bautista to Tex
    Profar to Cin
    Stephenson to Tor

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Mez and Choo are not in this afternoon's lineup. They must be getting traded.

Going to St. Louis for Kozma

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I doubt it too, but I'm sure those teams are saying to their fans that they made the playoffs. Plus Im sure those teams revenues are higher than those teams who were under .500.
    Mmmm, I doubt Texas sold that to anyone after their fall. They squandered a 13 game lead, got swept by OAK to lose their division and then meekly bowed out altogether after no showing against BAL in the WC game. Trying to sell that to their fanbase would've been an insult.

What about Adam Rosales, the A's just let him go!!!

Wait is someone really claiming the front office is incompetent? I don't see any available moves today.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Man, at this point of the day you have to put a disclaimer on that saying "I propose" or something

17. Likes:

DocRed (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    It is technically the playoffs, but if you lose that game, to me it's not much different than not being in the playoffs altogether. The same disappointment.
    Im disappointed just the same either way, whether its game 162 or 170. Someone else is still playing and my favorite team isn't!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    How is that disappointment any different than losing in the first round? To be honest, given the sting of last season, I don't think losing a one-game playoff is any worse.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?