Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: per mlbtraderumors:Reds dangling Keppinger

per mlbtraderumors:Reds dangling Keppinger

per mlbtraderumors:

"The Reds are dangling infielder Jeff Keppinger, with the Red Sox and Astros as possible suitors."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: per mlbtraderumors:Reds dangling Keppinger

So that would mean that Hairston starts most of the games at SS? Forgive me, but I don't understand why trading Kepp makes sense when A-Gon is already injured... unless Valaika is already on the radar.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Kep can't play SS. He can really only play 1B/3B.
    The team also has Gomes & Owings as RH bench bats.
    Therefore he may be expendable.

If I ran the Reds my 2009 bench would look like this:
    Hanigan (C)
    Hairston (supersub)
    Nix or acquisition (LH Bat)
    Gomes (RH bat)
    Janish (SS when Gonzo can't go or late in the game)
    Plus we have Owings as a 2nd RH bat off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So that would mean that Hairston starts most of the games at SS? Forgive me, but I don't understand why trading Kepp makes sense when A-Gon is already injured... unless Valaika is already on the radar.
    Kepp's not a viable option defensively at SS. Janish may have improved enough with the stick that the Reds are leaning toward him as back-up IF. I like Janish's glove, if he's able to OPS around .700, and he has shown decent pop this spring, all of a sudden, he's a fine choice in place of Kepp.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

The Astros make a sense, they need IF's.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Kep can't play SS. He can really only play 1B/3B.
    The team also has Gomes & Owings as RH bench bats.
    Therefore he may be expendable.

If I ran the Reds my 2009 bench would look like this:
    Hanigan (C)
    Hairston (supersub)
    Nix or acquisition (LH Bat)
    Gomes (RH bat)
    Janish (SS when Gonzo can't go or late in the game)
    Plus we have Owings as a 2nd RH bat off the bench.
    That's a nice bench right there. Compared to some of the three catcher-ed nightmares we've witnessed recently anyway.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

A deal that makes a little sense might be a deal around Kepp to the Yankees with Melky Cabrera comng back. Kepp could help at 3B until A-Rod comes back and Melky is not going to make the Yanks. I'm not a big Melky fan, but he's a switch hitter and a plus defender at both corner OF spots (but he can't really cut it in CF). His career splts say he's better as a LH Hitter versus RH Pitching. I think he's a 4th OF at best, but I like him better as a LH option than Jones, Nix or Castillo. The Reds would probably need to add something besides Kepp to any deal, but nothing that would kill the organization. The Yankees need bullpen too. Maybe Bray and Kepp for Melky and a prospect with options.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If Cabrera goes to Cincinnati, Baker will start him.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If Cabrera goes to Cincinnati, Baker will start him.

Ugh.
    Relax, its only my own imagination.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

And what would the return be...I can't imagine being impressed with anything Kepp would fetch...short of a decent prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    And what would the return be...I can't imagine being impressed with anything Kepp would fetch...short of a decent prospect.
    This is kind of where I'm at. Kepp isn't likely to fetch much of anything. He does serve a purpose for the Reds and I don't see a compelling reason to unload him for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is kind of where I'm at. Kepp isn't likely to fetch much of anything. He does serve a purpose for the Reds and I don't see a compelling reason to unload him for peanuts.
    I have two compelling reasons:

1. Makes a roster spot for a better player.
    2. Ensures we don't have to see the Kepp two step (range that is) at 2B or SS.

I've always liked Kepp, but I think Rosales beings ,ore to the table. I really don't have much of a preference between Kepp and Hairston defensively and right now JHJ seems to have more potential than Kepp offensively.

I don't really see him bringing much more back in trade than minor league filler. We've got some parts to trade, I'd like to see them package him with omeone else and maybe get something semi-useful. If Gonzalez can't stay healthy, I'd like to see them give Valaika an extended look and maybe fast track Cozart through AA to AA this year, if he can cut it with the bat. I'm becoming convinced that if they were gonna deal for a young SS they would have already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    The Astros make a sense, they need IF's.

BP said a couple of days ago they were trying to trade for Colorado sub Jeff Baker to play 3B so this rumor makes a little sense from that angle.

I'd imagine you could pry loose a legit low minor type prospect if they are the ones actively shopping for that type of player.

hmmm...let's see...Kepp don't know D.....Kepp is slow afoot....kepp can't hit it out of the infield...kepp looks funny with a beard....yep I think that pretty much covers every thread here with the word "shortstop" or "bench".

all the keppinger bashing makes me miss 'ole Corey a little

Turn Off Ads?