Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Re: The Silly Season - World Soccer Transfer Time

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Anyone see this?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...ga-rights.html

While I think it would be great to see some matches from La Liga next season, something tells me ESPN is going to stick all these games on Deportes or ESPN360.com, which I can't get because I have Time Warner.
    According to this, ESPN2 will broadcast 20 La Liga matches next season. So you'll definitely be getting some Spanish games on a major English cable provider near you, and honestly it's ratings gold from after the college football season is over.

Hopefully this will involve sharing the GolTV broadcast (because Ray Hudson's the single greatest color man in the universe, ever) and adding some better production quality to the feed from Spain (the EPL learned from the NFL in how to pipe the crowd noise into the broadcast and Spain needs to catch up).
    Last edited by M2; 06-22-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

On the Transfer front, Oguchi Onyewu accepted a deal with a Turkish team I had never heard of. Apparantly they spend a load of money every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    On the Transfer front, Oguchi Onyewu accepted a deal with a Turkish team I had never heard of. Apparantly they spend a load of money every year.
    He's Fenerbahce bound. That's a big club. He'll get to play next to Roberto Carlos, which has got to be a cool thing for a young player (not to mention a few other Brazilians and half the Turkish national team).

I really expected some EPL club to pony up big-time for Gooch. He's perfect for the English game.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's Fenerbahce bound. That's a big club. He'll get to play next to Roberto Carlos, which has got to be a cool thing for a young player (not to mention a few other Brazilians and half the Turkish national team).
    Fenerbahce is one of the top 3 teams in Turkey, along with Galatasaray and Besiktas, all of which are based in Istanbul. When I lived in Austria, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray were always considered a tough draw in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup. If he's playing for Fenerbahce, he's got a good shot at playing in Champions League matches, something for which a lot of other Americans abroad haven't had the opportunity.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I really expected some EPL club to pony up big-time for Gooch. He's perfect for the English game.
    Didn't he play for Newcastle for a year?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

According to this, ESPN2 will broadcast 20 La Liga matches next season. So you'll definitely be getting some Spanish games on a major English cable provider near you, and honestly it's ratings gold from after the college football season is over.

Hopefully this will involve sharing the GolTV broadcast (because Ray Hudson's the single greatest color man in the universe, ever) and adding some better production quality to the feed from Spain (the EPL learned from the NFL in how to pipe the crowd noise into the broadcast and Spain needs to catch up).
    That's awesome. It would be even better if they worked out a similar deal with the Bundesliga, but I doubt they will just yet.

DirectTV called tonight with an offer to switch back. As much as I would love to go back to DirectTV, they would need to hook me up with the HD-DVR package and give me the Sportspack for free (so that I can get FSC) to match what I currently have. If money were no object, I'd have DirectTV with HD-DVR and the Sportspack and get FSC, Gol TV and other channels. Of course I don't know if Setanta is worth it now that they appear to be losing the EPL and the SPL.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    That's awesome. It would be even better if they worked out a similar deal with the Bundesliga, but I doubt they will just yet.

DirectTV called tonight with an offer to switch back. As much as I would love to go back to DirectTV, they would need to hook me up with the HD-DVR package and give me the Sportspack for free (so that I can get FSC) to match what I currently have. If money were no object, I'd have DirectTV with HD-DVR and the Sportspack and get FSC, Gol TV and other channels. Of course I don't know if Setanta is worth it now that they appear to be losing the EPL and the SPL.
    I think the Setanta situation only relates to the domestic rights in the UK and Ireland not to the international rights. It all has to do with being able to broadcast live matches to the English.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I think the Setanta situation only relates to the domestic rights in the UK and Ireland not to the international rights. It all has to do with being able to broadcast live matches to the English.
    True, but the UK and Ireland markets are Setanta's home turf, and the Premiership is their bread and butter. The network in its current form was built on the back of two deals: EPL and Super XIV. Now it has lost one and is in serious danger of losing the northern hemisphere rights to the other.

Bad news for WilyMo, Kevin Doyle has transferred to Wolves, which is going to create an even steeper uphill climb for Reading to get back to the Prem.

And Greece is the word for Djibril Cisse, who has jumped from Sunderland to Panathinkaikos.

Bad news for WilyMo, Kevin Doyle has transferred to Wolves, which is going to create an even steeper uphill climb for Reading to get back to the Prem.

And Greece is the word for Djibril Cisse, who has jumped from Sunderland to Panathinkaikos.
    Reading will have to get through us Cider 'Eds first.

Wow, I'm beginning to fear that we've witnessed what will be the pinnacle for Reading football for some time to come.

I still desperately want to see an English league cup match at the Madjeski.

Real Madrid is now adding Karim Benzema. That is some impressive gluttony.

Real Madrid is now adding Karim Benzema. That is some impressive gluttony.
    They're going to need a new staff member just to handle the massive amount of ego flowing through the club.

Well, it should be interesting to see what happens when and if Beckham returns to the Galaxy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html?bcnn=yes

Turn Off Ads?