View Poll Results: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 37.31%
  • No

42 62.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

Re: Will Jay Bruce be called up before Tuesday's game?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the stuff that losing organizations are made of ... and the explanation doesn't work for the Longoria signing.
    Longoria was promoted in early April, not early May. I really don't see how he applies to this situation. Teams generally promote good prospects at the beginning of the season or when super two has cleared.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm hoping Bruce is called up before tomorrow's game but I'm not getting my hopes up. Jocketty hasn't did anything yet so why now?

If not now, they may wait until June 20th when they play 9 games in a row in AL parks. Griffey can DH and by the time its done, a move to make a pemanent spot could be more likely to occur (Dunn's no trade becomes a limted trade, Free Agents like Patterson and Fogg can be dealt, other teams are more likely to be in trade mode, etc.)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wouldn't bet on it, Dusty has shown no signs of moving his fav Patterson out of the top spot much less the lineup entirely so where is Bruce going to play?
    Go Gators!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it, Dusty has shown no signs of moving his fav Patterson out of the top spot much less the lineup entirely so where is Bruce going to play?
    Take the decision out of Dusty's hands. Jocketty needs to grow a pair, cut Patterson and bring up Bruce no questions asked.

It wouldn't shock me if Dusty has big Bob's ear just as much as Walt does.
    Go Gators!

I don't think that Bruce will be up that soon, but what do I know, I just learned this year that a centerfielder has to leadoff and a shorstop has to bat second, while the higher on base percentage players bat in the lower portion of the order and that everyone signed as in infielder is a shortstop.

I don't think so. There was a report he would not be called up until June, and I haven't seen anything to contradict that.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It wouldn't shock me if Dusty has big Bob's ear just as much as Walt does.
    I think that you are correct because:

I saw something somewhere when he was hired that part of Baker's contract had in it that he has input or an advisory role on personnel. John Fay in October 07, but I can’t find the article.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The Reds should do what exactly what the Brewers did to Braun. They waited until the safe date to call him up last year, and then they gave him a contract extension with a Super Two clause that if he's eligible his long term contract is worth $6 million more. The best thing about that clause is it's just window dressing to satisfy Braun and his agent; the Brewers timed the promotion just about perfectly so they know they won't have to pay that extra $6 million.
    So, for those that say that "super 2" doesn't matter, it's worth about $6M to an elite player.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He should.

Of course, he should've been here the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    So, for those that say that "super 2" doesn't matter, it's worth about $6M to an elite player.
    I am very aware of the economics of the situation, but the whole super 2 thing represents money a few years from now. A team that says it wants the losing to stop should be giving it a try IMO. If Bruce succeeds and has the impact many believe, that $6 Million won't mean much. If he doesn't he can always be sent back down and still avoid the super two designation.

Seems like they accepted mediocrity without even giving it a try to me and that sticks with many fans. When I'm being told that the team intends to win and then it does not do something that could help that is so readily available, it certainly makes me want to keep my money in my wallet where the Reds are concerned. I wonder how much that $6 Million is going to cost them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Evan Longoria says

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I am very aware of the economics of the situation, but the whole super 2 thing represents money a few years from now. A team that says it wants the losing to stop should be giving it a try IMO. If Bruce succeeds and has the impact many believe, that $6 Million won't mean much. If he doesn't he can always be sent back down and still avoid the super two designation.

Seems like they accepted mediocrity without even giving it a try to me and that sticks with many fans. When I'm being told that the team intends to win and then it does not do something that could help that is so readily available, it certainly makes me want to keep my money in my wallet where the Reds are concerned. I wonder how much that $6 Million is going to cost them.
    Look at Patterson, Freel, Hairston, Hopper, Mercker, Bako, the team wasn't concerned about $6 million dollars, Freel and Patterson alone are over that amount. They thought or were convinced that they had the better product in those five or six guys to begin with. Now they are stuck trying to live it out, trying to justify their original decisions. Someone in the organization is still hoping that some of those players will turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

The economics are beyond vital, especially in future seasons. A quick way not to be able to afford to keep your current talent and/or not be able to afford to bring in new talent is to be wreckless with your future budget. Bruce's Super Two season would be 2011, and this is already what's on the books:

Aaron Harang: $12.75 million option ($2 million buyout)
    Francisco Cordero: $12 million
    Bronson Arroyo: $11 million option ($2 million buyout)
    Brandon Phillips: $11 million

That's $46.75 million tied up in four players if all the options are picked up. And that's not including Dunn (if extended), Encarnacion, Volquez, and Votto. If Cueto is never demoted to AAA, he'll be making arbitration money that season too. That could easily be $70 million for nine players, perhaps even $80 million, if all those players remain in a Reds uniform and perform the way we hope. Add a Super Two Bruce in there and that's another $6+ million. That's more than what the entire team's payroll is this season.

Yes, it would have been nice to have Bruce up here two weeks ago. If the Reds would have brought him north after spring training and had him in the lineup since Opening Day ala Cueto, then that's one thing. But once the Reds made the decision to keep Bruce down in Louisville through April, then they effectively made the decision to keep him in Louisville until the Super Two date passed. Two weeks of Jay Bruce in May of 2008 isn't worth the $6+ million hammer in 2011.

Of course the Super Two point is moot now because the Super Two date came and went this weekend. Bruce needs to be promoted and in the lineup tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Turn Off Ads?