Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Reds win the trade...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The Reds win the trade...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So if Cingrani has to miss more starts, who wants to see this?

I don't want to ever see Hernandez fixing his cup ever again. Jeeze!

2. Likes:

757690 (08-26-2013),Tom Servo (08-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I was at that game, but was driving home by the time Paul came in to pitch. Brutal night.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That is hilarious. He is seriously the most consistently wrong man in baseball.
    He hasn't been wrong about Latos. The shoulder problems could crop up but it hasn't happened yet. But JimBo just doesn't understand pitching. Never has, never will. some GMs understand how to build a pitching staff but that was JimBo's Achilles Heel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    What's strange is that he has 2 mechanical issues that could easily be fixed. I'm just wondering if he's like some players who don't take very well to instruction.
    Volquez is like Stubbs in that sense. I remember reading a story about Jacoby's frustration with Stubbs over his refusal to adjust his approach to the plate. The curious thing is, Stubbs did just that once he landed in Cleveland. Too bad about Volquez, though. He has ace material.

Also, we may have came out on top in the Volquez trade, but we got beat in the Marshall/Woods deal.
    Last edited by redsfan1995; 08-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    Also, we may have came out on top in the Volquez trade, but we got beat in the Marshall/Woods deal.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102678
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by armybrat45103 View Post
    It wasn't a competition. The Reds didn't get beat. They weren't trying to acquire the better player.

They traded away someone at a position of luxury in exchange for someone at a position of need. Marshall was flat out awesome in 2012 and was a big part of the Reds making the playoffs. That Wood is having a great year in 2013 at a position the Reds don't really need right now doesn't change that deal one iota.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

IMO, the odds of the Reds "winning" the Latos trade increased exponentially once the deal was consummated without including Travis Wood or Mike Leake. Corollary, the odds of a "live now - pay later" trade scenario playing out greatly decreased.

Just my .02.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    It wasn't a competition. The Reds didn't get beat. They weren't trying to acquire the better player.

They traded away someone at a position of luxury in exchange for someone at a position of need. Marshall was flat out awesome in 2012 and was a big part of the Reds making the playoffs. That Wood is having a great year in 2013 at a position the Reds don't really need right now doesn't change that deal one iota.
    Essentially true, but starter pitching could become a need position as soon as opening day 2014. The Marshall injury has been an unfortunate killer all season long, especially when needed in "clutch" games like last night in the 7th inning meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Essentially true, but starter pitching could become a need position as soon as opening day 2014. The Marshall injury has been an unfortunate killer all season long, especially when needed in "clutch" games like last night in the 7th inning meltdown.
    Why would they need a starter on opening day? If they don't re-sign Arroyo, I count:

1. Johnny Cueto
    2. Mat Latos
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Mike Leake
    5. Tony Cingrani

What am I missing?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Why would they need a starter on opening day? If they don't re-sign Arroyo, I count:

1. Johnny Cueto
    2. Mat Latos
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Mike Leake
    5. Tony Cingrani

What am I missing?
    Nothing, but my guess is that one of them will be gone to address some of the other defencies. Then it will get real interesting. Fun ahead.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"So Fla Red"

1. Johnny Cueto
    2. Mat Latos
    3. Homer Bailey
    4. Mike Leake
    5. Tony Cingrani

What am I missing?
    Bailey is likely gone by opening day and you are assuming Cueto isn't an injury risk. Nightmare scenario is that we could be needing 2/5ths of a rotation by mid-May.

15. Likes:

WVRedsFan (08-27-2013)

Bailey is likely gone by opening day and you are assuming Cueto isn't an injury risk. Nightmare scenario is that we could be needing 2/5ths of a rotation by mid-May.
    Why would Bailey be gone? That's the part I'm not understanding. He isn't a free agent, so why wouldn't he be back next season?

Cueto is an injury risk just as every pitcher is an injury risk. I don't see why it changes the Reds being in great shape on paper for the rotation next season.

Why would Bailey be gone? That's the part I'm not understanding. He isn't a free agent, so why wouldn't he be back next season?

Cueto is an injury risk just as every pitcher is an injury risk. I don't see why it changes the Reds being in great shape on paper for the rotation next season.
    Cueto is a bigger injury risk. Once guys are hurt, the risk increases. Cingrani's back issues may dog him the rest of his life for all we know. Great shape means 7 or 8 useable options IMO. Hopefully Stephenson comes fast and they can keep Reynolds stashed by overpaying a bit for his minor league deal.

That doesn't mean it was wrong to deal Wood, but it sure hasn't worked out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You think another team is going to give us value for a free-agent-to-be with a history of inconsistency and a mercurial nature? Doubt it. If we want to solve other issues we have by trading a pitcher, you have to trade guys that are team-controlled for a while yet...so, Cingrani.

Turn Off Ads?