Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Re: Mark Fleury (Catcher, UNC)

Fleury just singled in his first atbat today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Go Heels!!!!!!!!!!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Fleury: 2 for 4, R, RBI, BB.

I am extra excited about this player as he and I share the last name. I've always wanted to buy a baseball jersey that said Fleury but w/o just using my last name. I realize I could purchase a hockey jersey, but who wants one of those. I'll be pullin for this kid extra hard

Fleury also has an unusual way of getting into his batting stance. He slides his left hand half up the bat as if he is getting ready to bunt. Then he pulls the bat back and settles into his somewhat crouched batting position. It's interesting, but no human rain delay, chicken wing flap, or Jay Bruce high sign.

Playing tonight against ASU and has a walk in his first AB.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Arizona State is about to beat Carolina. Hopefully Leake gets a chance to go out with a better performance than what we saw the other night.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Arizona State is about to beat Carolina. Hopefully Leake gets a chance to go out with a better performance than what we saw the other night.
    I'd rather he just not pitch and sign the dotted line.

Tough one for Fleury, havent seen a catcher have to block so many balls in one game. My Heels completely busted last night, dissapointing, but another great season for the team.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Man I forgot that Tatum was a third-round pick. I thought he was fifth-round for some reason. Reds have had crappy luck drafting catchers recently, college or pro. And by recently, of course I mean since Johnny Bench. ;-)

Hopefully Fleury can change that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Man I forgot that Tatum was a third-round pick. I thought he was fifth-round for some reason. Reds have had crappy luck drafting catchers recently, college or pro. And by recently, of course I mean since Johnny Bench. ;-)

Hopefully Fleury can change that.
    Every team has crappy luck drafting catchers. Less than 5% of catchers taken in the first 5 rounds of the draft turn into a starter.

I talked to FLeury when he got back in town Friday, asked how long a process he thought it would be before he signs, said he hasnt even thought about it yet, going to take a couple weeks to unwind and relax and then get into it all. Very nice guy, felt bad for him to go out the wya the Heels did.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

OK, how about "more bad luck than the average MLB team"? Is that better? I know what you're saying though DD... it's the hardest position to fill with a legit player. But wouldn't you agree that over the last 30 years the Reds have had worse luck than the average MLB team finding catchers in the draft? I think we've had Joe Oliver and that's it since JB moved from catcher to third (and then first). Dan Wilson had a decent MLB career with the Mariners, but I don't count him. Dane Sardinha was awful, Mesoraco is looking like a bust in the making, Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder... I could go on and on.

I just hope Fleury helps end this trend. Then again, if we keep getting undrafted players like Ryan Hanigan that can play catcher well at the MLB level and hit well, I'll be all good. ;-)

Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder
    He's a good defender with a future as a big league backup. For a 3rd round draft choice, that's a win.

OK, how about "more bad luck than the average MLB team"? Is that better? I know what you're saying though DD... it's the hardest position to fill with a legit player. But wouldn't you agree that over the last 30 years the Reds have had worse luck than the average MLB team finding catchers in the draft? I think we've had Joe Oliver and that's it since JB moved from catcher to third (and then first). Dan Wilson had a decent MLB career with the Mariners, but I don't count him. Dane Sardinha was awful, Mesoraco is looking like a bust in the making, Tatum wasn't very good for a third-rounder... I could go on and on.

I just hope Fleury helps end this trend. Then again, if we keep getting undrafted players like Ryan Hanigan that can play catcher well at the MLB level and hit well, I'll be all good. ;-)
    While I wasn't a huge Jason LaRue fan...he was definitely league average (maybe slightly above) for most of his tenure with the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?