Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: September Scoreboard Watching

Re: September Scoreboard Watching

Assuming the Phils win over the Braves today, I think this is how it works.

If Giants and Braves win tomorrow, Reds play Philly. Braves would be wild card.

If Giants win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants win the West. The wildcard then would be the winner of a playoff between the Padres and Braves in Atl. If Braves win that game, Reds play Philly. If Pads win that game, Reds play Giants.

If Pads win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants and Pads make the playoffs and the Braves are out. The Pads would win the NL West due to tiebraker with Giants. Reds would then play the Padres in the playoffs. Phils would play the wildcard Giants.

If Pads and Braves both win tomorrow, then it is a three-way tie. The Pads and Giants would playoff Monday for the NL West title. The loser would play in Atlanta Tuesday for the wildcard. If the Braves win the wildcard, Reds play Philly. If the Pads win the wildcard Reds play Giants. If the Giants win the wildcard, Reds play Padres.

Right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looking now like a best case scenario would be Padres win tomorrow and Braves lose. Giants throw Lincecum and win a 1 game play-off on Monday. The Reds go to San Fran w/o Lincecum available and eek out a split and come home tied 1-1.

If you are the Giants, would you throw Lincecum in a one game play-off to get home field and avoid the Phils or would you throw a lesser light and keep the rotation lined-up for the post season?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Assuming the Phils win over the Braves today, I think this is how it works.

If Giants and Braves win tomorrow, Reds play Philly. Braves would be wild card.

If Giants win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants win the West. The wildcard then would be the winner of a playoff between the Padres and Braves in Atl. If Braves win that game, Reds play Philly. If Pads win that game, Reds play Giants.

If Pads win tomorrow and Braves lose, then the Giants and Pads make the playoffs and the Braves are out. The Pads would win the NL West due to tiebraker with Giants. Reds would then play the Padres in the playoffs. Phils would play the wildcard Giants.

If Pads and Braves both win tomorrow, then it is a three-way tie. The Pads and Giants would playoff Monday for the NL West title. The loser would play in Atlanta Tuesday for the wildcard. If the Braves win the wildcard, Reds play Philly. If the Pads win the wildcard Reds play Giants. If the Giants win the wildcard, Reds play Padres.

Right?
    yes that is exactly correct

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Looking now like a best case scenario would be Padres win tomorrow and Braves lose. Giants throw Lincecum and win a 1 game play-off on Monday. The Reds go to San Fran w/o Lincecum available and eek out a split and come home tied 1-1.

If you are the Giants, would you throw Lincecum in a one game play-off to get home field and avoid the Phils or would you throw a lesser light and keep the rotation lined-up for the post season?
    If the Padres win and Braves lose there is no one game playoff. In that case the Padres would win the division because of their head to head record against the Giants and the Giants would be the wild card.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    If the Padres win and Braves lose there is no one game playoff. In that case the Padres would win the division because of their head to head record against the Giants and the Giants would be the wild card.
    Yeah I see that now. Baseball used to break ties with a game on the field. Better days.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wonder if Philly considers throwing the game (on Sunday) on the chance that the Padres win ...

The wild card team they would then play on Wednesday, would have to play Tuesday and maybe Monday too.

Edit: I guess this is only true depending on who wins the Tuesday game.
    Last edited by GullyFoyle; 10-02-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yeah I see that now. Baseball used to break ties with a game on the field. Better days.
    Ties are only broken when it involves deciding if you make the playoffs or not.

If two teams are tied and they both will make the playoffs anyway, then the tie breaker is used.

Quote Originally Posted by GullyFoyle View Post
    I wonder if Philly considers throwing the game (on Sunday) on the chance that the Padres win ...

The wild card team they would then play on Wednesday, would have to play Tuesday and maybe Monday too.

Edit: I guess this is only true depending on who wins the Tuesday game.
    Charlie Manuel doesn't seem like the type of manager that'd even consider something like that

2-1 Phils after 3. Oswalt now pitching for Philly

Phils and Braves now tied 2-2. Phils on their 3rd pitcher in 4 innings

Now 5-2 Braves bottom 4th

Go Padres! I'm rooting for those one game playoffs.

Now 6-2 Braves as Lee homers

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Come to think of it, what incentive do the Phillies have for winning this game?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Go Padres! I'm rooting for those one game playoffs.
    If the Braves win and the Pads win, won't there be two playoffs - one for the NL West and one for the Wildcard?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?