Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    George Lucas seems to think that basically only the blockbusters will be in theaters in the future and it will cost as much as a ticket to a Broadway show or an NFL game and the movies will be in theaters for around a year.

http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...nt-1200496241/
    He's also a crazy person!

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (09-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Thumbs way down for The Butler.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Interesting, that is the first negative sentence I have heard/read of this movie. What did you not like?

(I have not seen it yet)

What is it and why should I want to watch it?

(and I watch/read about a lot of movies)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've read multiple articles about this, and I'm not buying it.

I think once you take the budget of these movies into consideration, this past summer was not nearly the success it's being made out to be. Most sequels/franchises, with their expensive special effects and the cost of luring acting talent back to the same concept (and they have leverage), have enormous budgets. This makes them much riskier, and it makes the margins much smaller. Why Hollywood can't see the potential in releasing lots of $10MM movies, with limited risk and huge potential, is beyond me...
    That article doesn't even mention the international audience. Iron Man 3 actually made $1.2 billion. Despicable Me 2 made $820 worldwide.

Here is why Hollywood shouldn't care what the critics (and domestic movie fans) care about. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...yr=2013&p=.htm The international movie market dominates.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Watched The Grapes of Wrath today. No question that Henry Fonda should have been the next Batman instead of Ben Affleck.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm probably not going to see it, but the screenplay was written by Jonathan from Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Danny Strong)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    That article doesn't even mention the international audience. Iron Man 3 actually made $1.2 billion. Despicable Me 2 made $820 worldwide.

Here is why Hollywood shouldn't care what the critics (and domestic movie fans) care about. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...yr=2013&p=.htm The international movie market dominates.
    You are correct.

That said, it doesn't mean there isn't a large, viable American movie audience hungry for interesting new films--it just might not be Hollywood (and hasn't been for some time) who serves this market...

All you need to know about the future direction of movie-making is the fact Hansel and Gretel, which did not do well in the US, dominated in Russia and Eastern Europe and as a result a sequel is in the works.

Thank goodness for Netflix and its ilk, otherwise people would never see good movies in small towns like where I live. Still, it doesn't replace going to the theaters... :/

Saw Disconnect last night. I liked it. Story was ok. Bateman was really good and I'm starting to like Frank Grillo in anything he's in. It was kind of an updated version of Crash, not as good but still worth watching.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Finally got around to watching the DVD of Oblivion with Tom Cruise last night. Very good! If you liked 2001: A Space Odyssey, you should enjoy this movie. Since I avoided all spoilers had to re-watch parts of it-lots of twists. The visuals and sets were stunning - some CGI (of course) - but not as much as you would think. Made me wish I'd seen it in the theater. The blu-ray has special features going into detail. Many of the desolate scenes were shot in Iceland and they built a full scale model of the "bubbleship". Not a Cruise fan, but he does well as a "handyman" who is not all that he seems to be. Morgan Freeman makes an extended cameo.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Watched "They" on Netflix. I've put off watching this for years because I suffer from night terrors, but the movie, while passable, did a very poor job making the viewer feel the unreasoning fear that accompanies these episodes. One interesting item was that part of the terror involved open doors, which are one of my triggers. Points for that.

Oh, and it seemed obvious to me that one of the little shadowy creatures should have been cast as Batman instead of Ben Affleck.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

They call me "chef"

Insidious 2 was not very good but if you liked the first one its a fun direct continuation of the story. Probably best saved for the second run discount theatre.

Wasn't crazy about the first one. I wish Hollywood made more scary movies that were actually scary. I thought it started off well, then descended into silliness.

I kind of feel the same way about the book I'm working on now (I'm 492 pages in and nearly finished with the first draft.) Sometimes it's hard to maintain atmosphere long enough to tell the story you want to tell.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 09-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?