Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volquez Worse than expected!

Re: Volquez Worse than expected!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Speak for yourself, please.
    Unsolicited opinions they are not, facts are indeed right down broadway.

They set the standard with KGJ, and haven't wavered since.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'm guessing we'll see Bailey the rest of the year.
    I hope you're right because that'll mean he's improved. If he doesn't pitch any better in Cincinnati than he has in the past then he won't last the season.

I'm still skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it. I've never seen Homer Bailey look impressive. I don't see that a split finger pitch will bail him out. He needs pitches that are strikes that are hard to hit. The split finger helps put away a hitter after two strikes but I'm concerned about Homer ever getting to two strikes

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    I wish I could remember who I saw on the MLB Channel talking about pitchers with elbow injuries and what can cause them to occur. Among the names, he mentioned that Volquez raises his elbow higher than his shoulder in his delivery and that usually leads to elbow problems. A few days later, Volquez had to leave the game.
    That was Rick Peterson IIRC.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think they'll end up shutting the kid down for the remainder of the season. They can't be as stupid to risk further damage can they? Stay tuned.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Shocking I tell ya! After he threw 200 innings for the Reds last year ... then played in winter ball ... and then played in the WBC ... I can't imagine how Volquez could have damaged his arm.

Pretty disappointing because I think if the Reds had a pitching staff of (in order) Cueto, Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey (I like Owings in the pen) ... then we would be playoff bound IMO.

Fwiw, I've already heard the word "Verducci" attached to Volquez. And I remember last fall Dusty received some flack for letting Volquez shoot for 20 wins. Now there's no way Dusty would be anyones choice for manager to trust your young pitchers with but I actually didn't have a problem with the push for 20 and still don't. Volquez finished '08 with 196 ip. Between the minors and majors Volquez had 178.2 ip in '07. That kind of increase in ip isn't a problem. But the problem with the stats is that they don't include winter ball or the WBC. So if you add winter ball to his '08 stats... then you have a problem. I don't know whose call it was to send him to winter ball but I just have to ask why? He had a great '08. Why push it?

I don't know that it was anyone's call. I think Volquez wanted to pitch winter ball. I don't know if the Reds can forbid that or not. I suppose they can, but I don't know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.

Yep, I can't remember a time in recent history when a player got hurt and they just came out and said "We are going to rest him and see what happens, but it's probably going to result in surgery". It's always day to day, false hope that the player will be back in a couple days, then a couple weeks,etc. My guess is they don't want to risk hurting ticket sales.

It was pure malpractice allowing Jr to pinch hit when he could barely walk. Think of the potential damage that did to the franchise during the Jr era.. If they were conservative, Jr might've had a much more productive career.

Kearns' "blister" (which later needed surgery, and obviously was much more serious) is another example of the dishonesty that has been shown in the past.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't know that it was anyone's call. I think Volquez wanted to pitch winter ball. I don't know if the Reds can forbid that or not. I suppose they can, but I don't know for certain.
    It's tough to clearly lay the blame on winter ball or WBC too.
    Plenty of other guys did the same thing and they didn't get hurt.
    Maybe if he didn't pitch winter ball, the injury happens in August instead (or maybe it still happens at the same time).

I think the Reds handled him well. Pitchers are fragile, most have a relatively short shelf life compared to position players. That's just the way it goes.
    Other clubs have similiar problems keeping all their pitchers healthy.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yep, I can't remember a time in recent history when a player got hurt and they just came out and said "We are going to rest him and see what happens, but it's probably going to result in surgery". It's always day to day, false hope that the player will be back in a couple days, then a couple weeks,etc. My guess is they don't want to risk hurting ticket sales.

So, when someone gets hurt, you expect them to perform surgery right away, even if rest and rehab could solve the problem? Surgery is always a last resort. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but they always try to do whatever they can before they operate.

As for hurting ticket sales, I'm not sure that's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

It was pure malpractice allowing Jr to pinch hit when he could barely walk. Think of the potential damage that did to the franchise during the Jr era.. If they were conservative, Jr might've had a much more productive career.

Kearns' "blister" (which later needed surgery, and obviously was much more serious) is another example of the dishonesty that has been shown in the past.
    I think you have a bizarre fixation with the Reds medical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

You just noticed that?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Every team in every sport has the same scenarios that could be seen as "bad" it's funny how only the Reds get noticed by some.

Maybe Kremchek really is the best in the business at what he does but I've always thought of the saying "the operation was a success but the patient died on the table" when thinking about him and the procedures that he performs.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Every team in every sport has the same scenarios that could be seen as "bad" it's funny how only the Reds get noticed by some.

Probably because we don't really give a hoot about the Braves' or Mets' or Dodgers' medical staffs since we're Reds fans.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?