Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Easy answer: Everything happens because it's a business. Alums want their degrees to mean something so "regular" students pay full price (a business transaction) while great students are covered by scholarships. The exposure that comes from big time D-1 athletics is invaluable, so great athletes are cut more slack. Basketball players get treated better than golfers and field hockey players.

Ivy League schools will admit a poorer student on scholarship over an equally qualified student with money because the poorer student is more likely to give back after he or she graduates and starts making Ivy League grad money. At the same time a poorer student that would be on full scholarship gets bumped because a wealthy alum will donate money if his son is admitted. Is either one right or wrong? Not really. It's a business, and the school has to sustain itself.
    But that still doesn't change the fact if you're going to have rules, enforce them or do away with them. I get your argument. I'm not even disagreeing with the practice. But in the application and enforcement of admissions of athletes, it's pointless to have these initial eligibility standards if every school is going to abuse them by using the exception that was meant for rare cases. Forget the business stuff for a minute. I am not disagreeing on the "why" aspect. Clearly we know the "why." Either the NCAA needs to bite down on this or completely do away with admissions standards.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The Eric Bledsoe story comes back to life. Is Pete Thamel still to blame?

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...terstitialskip

Yeah, everyone usually gets an A in Algebra III before taking algebra II. Not to mention that it was changed after the fact. Whole thing stinks and NCAA should eradicate the season. Guess you'll get to wear your UK2K shirts again!
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

If you "eradicate" Kentucky's season, would you also "eradicate Kansas' National Championship three years ago? Or any Duke game involving William Avery?

Many, many teams have played players whose academic record has been spotty at best in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If you "eradicate" Kentucky's season, would you also "eradicate Kansas' National Championship three years ago? Or any Duke game involving William Avery?

Many, many teams have played players whose academic record has been spotty at best in high school.
    But did the NCAA declare them ineligible afterwards?

Now that I've swung on both sides of the fence, I think its silly that the NCAA goes back over a player they admitted as eligible and determine him to be ineligible after he leaves the university.

However, that's how the NCAA operates. Does Calipari lose some support among UK faithful if say the NCAA declares Bledsoe ineligible for 2009-2010 and vacates the wins?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Arthur also would have been eligible without the grade change.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

So, too, would have Bledsoe. His grade went from A to C, IIRC.

(EDIT: Depending on who you talk to. The NY Times is claiming that would have made him ineligible for scholarships to school. Others are not.)

As for Calipari losing support, yeah, there's a faction out there who want to win fair.

But I'm guessing most Kentucky fans are more Al Davis than Tony Dungy.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 09-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.

I thought the grade going from a C to an A made him eligible with regards to his ACT score.

He would have been eligible but would have needed a higher ACT score to play his first year.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The grade change made him eligible.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

http://www.lex18.com/news/kanter-cleared-to-practice

I'm also hearing that Thamel's article, unintentionally, may have actually helped Kanter because the Turkish GM made a statement that the NCAA knows is untrue.

Nothing "revealed" (rehashed) in that Al.com article brought anything to the attention of the NCAA that they did not already know in regards to Eric's case.

@thomasbeisner No kidding. I'm actually embarrassed for the media 10:07 AM Sep 15th via TweetDeck in reply to thomasbeisner
    Today is the day we pat Pete Thamel on the head and tell him good job, wittle boy. I like most of you guys, but please. Thamel's a tool. 10:07 AM Sep 15th via TweetDeck
    And don't DM me, any of you, telling me I'm wrong or to shut up. Screw that noise. He's an ass, and has been WAY before he went after Cal 10:08 AM Sep 15th via TweetDeck
    @TheBigLead My beef with Thamel relates to a story he wrote on ILLINOIS. years ago. Here's what I said then: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/9990638

In fact, I find it hard to believe John L. Smith is dumb enough to say what he said. Who quoted him, anyway? Jayson Blair?
    LOL

I did find the Jayson Blair line funny.

But seriously you're saying because Greg Doyel's(Really that's who you want backing you up?) written two articles complaining about the tone of Thamel's articles it proves something?

And to be fair it's not like the New York Times is the only place where people are saying, "How in the hell does Illinois recruit so well when they're absolutely atrocious."

HR, I don't think it proves a damn thing. It just made me laugh.

You still have permission to continue with your Thamel for Pulitzer letter-writing campaign.

Turn Off Ads?