Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: 8/1/2007 Minor League Updates (Cueto pitching in AAA)

Re: 8/1/2007 Minor League Updates (Cueto pitching in AAA)

Billings won 2-0

Del Rosario: 6 Innings, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 3 BB, 3 K
    Valiquette: 3 Innings, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 3 BB, 1 K

Feiner: 1 for 3 with a home run and 1 RBI
    Frazier: 0 for 2 with 2 walks
    McKennon: 1 for 4 with a double
    K. Jones: 1 for 4 with a double

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...rfrok_bilrok_1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe I missed some of this earlier in this long long thread, but Dayton won 8-1 tonight. Juan Francisco, Zach Cozart, Logan Parker and Justin Turner all hit HR's. Every starter had a hit but Drew Stubbs (just go ahead and bite your tongues).
    I definitely think Logan Parker is a prospect to watch. I think he should be called up to AA before too much longer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I definitely think Logan Parker is a prospect to watch. I think he should be called up to AA before too much longer.
    He probably needs to make a stop in A+ Sarasota first....

Impressive thread guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He probably needs to make a stop in A+ Sarasota first....
    You are correct; I would like to see him promoted even if it is Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He barely pitched in AA - six starts, 36.1 IP. That's even less time than Homer Bailey got there - 13 starts, 68 IP. The point is to develop these kids, refine their game at each level as they mature, not advanced them until they fail.

Cueto didn't dominate in low A. Did he get better in AA? Of course he didn't. He got hot in AA and now he's in AAA before anyone could find out what happens when he cools down and/or the league catches up to him a bit.

Hopefully it's a spot start and he gets sent back to AA, but right now it looks like a repeat of the hyper promotional plan the Reds have forever applied to their better pitching prospects, the one that keeps failing in spectacular fashion.
    It's shocking to see that. Listen to any interview by a Hall-of-Famer and they will tell you how there were always hurdles that they had to work through and overcome throughout their career, and it was always about learning how to do something that was baffling them. And these are Hall-of-Famers. How much more difficult must it be for just a guy who's an All-Star for several years, or a guy who starts every game for 10 years and makes one or two All-Star games, or a guy who starts every game for about 7 years, or a guy who starts for only 2 or 3 years or a guy who is a perennial platoon or utility guy.

Point being, is that there's never a rush to move a guy up a level as there are unending things to learn and 250 at-bats or 70 innings pitched of good results does not a promotion demand.

The physical and mental maturity is immense in itself, yet alone learning well at least 3 pitches for a pitcher.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Anyone read on the Enquire or post or mlb.com for the REDS where someone said that "Cantu was a "natural" 2nd baseman"?

That's a scary thought. If that person thinks that playing 2nd base in that fashion is "natural", then I wonder what he has to see before he thinks that someone is "unnatural" at that position.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Anyone read on the Enquire or post or mlb.com for the REDS where someone said that "Cantu was a "natural" 2nd baseman"?

That's a scary thought. If that person thinks that playing 2nd base in that fashion is "natural", then I wonder what he has to see before he thinks that someone is "unnatural" at that position.
    I didn't read it, but thank God the Reds have a guy at 2nd base that Cantu surely will not be replacing.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    On first read, I thought Maloney made one of the strangest debuts ever.
    The guy was a little nervous, give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Herr deserves a callup more then Cantu.

Cantu can't walk and he can't field.

He's probably behind Votto, Bruce, Dickerson, and Herr in position players in line for a callup.
    I agree. Though the REDS will be in need of a right-handed power bat on their bench next year as most of their starting power will be left-handed, I'd like Cantu to spend the rest of this year and the first half of next year working with minor league coaches on his infield defense, wherever that may be. As bad as he is at 2nd and 3rd, he must be pretty bad at 1st, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I don't understand this post. Chris Dickerson is only 20, and is already at AAA. He plays outstanding defense, and will need a couple of years of development; but he has the potential to be a starting outfielder if he can cut down on the strikeouts. Even if he doesn't start, he would be a better fourth outfielder than Norris Hopper.
    It was obviously a math issue for you amarillo but then again you have a texas education lol . I am kidding ! He is 25 and as you can tell by my edit I had no idea.
    Last edited by Topcat; 08-02-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Looks like Cueto is sailing right by Bailey on the prospect list

He is pretty up some impressive K/BB rates, especially for a 21 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Looks like Cueto is sailing right by Bailey on the prospect list

He is pretty up some impressive K/BB rates, especially for a 21 year old.
    Cueto's fastball has really improved on location this year. That said, Bailey's location on his fastball is around the norm for his age and not any worse than Gallardo's or Hughes's. It is just they locate other pitches for strikes which gives them the developmental advantage.

The thing Cueto has on Bailey is his changeup has really gotten good and he locates it for strikes. His overall pure stuff isn't quite as good. While I am not calling Cueto a young Oswalt, his athletic ability and mechanics definitely give him a chance to start. Though I guess a high leveraged arm out of the pen may eventually be his calling. Tough to call on a smaller pitchers.

The thing Cueto needs to polish up is his slider. Not the most consistant pitch looking at the footage.

For the Reds luck, they need a sequel called "Bailey Strikes Back" next year:.

I jumped on the bandwagon with the sig.... that's just too priceless

Turn Off Ads?