Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which current SP do you look to re-sign first?

Which current SP do you look to re-sign first?

Out of the 4 younger starting pitchers we have, (Im not including Arroyo in this, but I do hope we can bring him back on a Ludwick type deal), which would you like to see the Reds' re-sign as a priority? Here's my thoughts, in order:

1.) Latos: He's young, he's passionate, he's aggressive, and he really seems to enjoy the Reds organization. While he's not a FA until 2016, he would be my #1 priority, hands down, to sign long-term. I think the Reds make a strong push to sign him after 2014.

2.) Cueto: The current string of injuries worries me about long-term durability. It's yet to be seen if he needs to revert to prior mechanics for the sake of his health. If he can stay healthy after this DL stint, I'd be much more inclined to put him #1. The remainder of 2013 will be quite telling on his this could pan out.

3.) Leake: Yes, I'm putting him above Bailey. Bailey clearly has higher upside, but if Leake can maintain pitching the way he's currently pitching, then I would have no qualms inking him to a 4-6 year deal. However, teams also need good serviceable pitchers. Leake, for all intents and purposes, is pitching like a #2/#3 pitcher on a playoff team. Not that long ago he would've been the Reds' Ace.

4.) Bailey: While it'd be nice to ink Cueto, Latos, and Bailey to long term deals, I just do not see Bailey giving the Reds a hometown discount on an extension. As aforementioned, I do think that Bailey has higher upside than Leake, but we've all been given the impression that he's not particularly fond of GABP.

What are your thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which current SP do you look to re-sign first?

Answering this question sorta presumes they are all up at once....pretty sure that's not the case

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Out of the 4 younger starting pitchers we have, (Im not including Arroyo in this, but I do hope we can bring him back on a Ludwick type deal), which would you like to see the Reds' re-sign as a priority? Here's my thoughts, in order:

1.) Latos: He's young, he's passionate, he's aggressive, and he really seems to enjoy the Reds organization. While he's not a FA until 2016, he would be my #1 priority, hands down, to sign long-term. I think the Reds make a strong push to sign him after 2014.

2.) Cueto: The current string of injuries worries me about long-term durability. It's yet to be seen if he needs to revert to prior mechanics for the sake of his health. If he can stay healthy after this DL stint, I'd be much more inclined to put him #1. The remainder of 2013 will be quite telling on his this could pan out.

3.) Leake: Yes, I'm putting him above Bailey. Bailey clearly has higher upside, but if Leake can maintain pitching the way he's currently pitching, then I would have no qualms inking him to a 4-6 year deal. However, teams also need good serviceable pitchers. Leake, for all intents and purposes, is pitching like a #2/#3 pitcher on a playoff team. Not that long ago he would've been the Reds' Ace.

4.) Bailey: While it'd be nice to ink Cueto, Latos, and Bailey to long term deals, I just do not see Bailey giving the Reds a hometown discount on an extension. As aforementioned, I do think that Bailey has higher upside than Leake, but we've all been given the impression that he's not particularly fond of GABP.

What are your thoughts?
    Good topic. I've thought many times about doing this same topic.

My first thoughts are.....
    1. I'll be interested to see Cingrani and Stephenson's progress in the farm system this season. I wish they'd jump Stephenson to Pensacola (along with Winker) later on this season and see if he can handle it. If Cingrani truly is working on secondary stuff and still maintaining quality numbers, it gives them more to think about.
    2. Which of the 5 starters want to be here most.............which ones are receptive to a long term deal? I'd feel them out the best you can........if Bailey, as rumored, really wants to test free agency......it would be good to know it now so you can trade him and get something.
    3. Cueto's injury history makes me hope he can stay healthy all season, put up good numbers, and then I consider trading him. His health bothers me.
    4. I'd see if Arroyo is receptive to a reasonable 1-year deal.
    5. I wasn't that crazy about Latos until he deliberately plunked that guy the other night in retaliation for BP and Choo getting hit. Loved that.

I just think the Reds need to be more like the Rays and willing to trade some of these guys for top prospects. This team cannot afford 2, 3, or even 4 starting pitchers making $15M to $20M per season. Ain't gonna happen with the commitments they already have.

In summary, I'd probably look to trade Bailey and/or Cueto (in the offseason) due to testing free agency (Bailey) and health concerns (Cueto). Maybe sign Leake and Latos, and consider re-signing Arroyo. Hope Cingrani is ready next season. Not sure why Sharky Rogers isn't getting much of a chance either.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Answering this question sorta presumes they are all up at once....pretty sure that's not the case
    No, it really doesn't. There's no saying when a team has to re-sign a player. It can be right before they become a FA or a year or two prior.

I would love to sign Leake long term. We've seen him at his worst imo, and that worst is a passable MLB starter. His ceiling is probably a bit above we've seen this year which is excellent. The reality is likely in between the two which is a pitcher very much worth having in your rotation. Lock him in while he is still a good value.

Latos should be priority one

Latos and Bailey.

I would let Cueto's contract play out. He's injury-prone. I love the guy but I don't want to have a lat strain ruin our playoff run again.

9. Likes:

toledodan (06-08-2013)

Latos and Cueto are the obvious answers here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Latos and Bailey.

I would let Cueto's contract play out. He's injury-prone. I love the guy but I don't want to have a lat strain ruin our playoff run again.
    Yeah THAT'S what ruined the playoff run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Homer. He's due up first IIRC. I also think he may be the hardest to sign and may take the most time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Homer. He's due up first IIRC. I also think he may be the hardest to sign and may take the most time.
    I think Homer and Latos are both going to be difficult to sign, especially if the Reds Front Office is under the impression that either will give the Reds a "hometown discount."

I personally think signing Latos long term is the key to keeping this pitching staff at the top in the NL. Latos is a horse and with him and Cueto it's like having 2 #1's in the rotation.

Bum

Need to trade Homer for all we can. I'd even do it this year. He doesn't like being in Cincy, so lets ship him the heck out of here for someone who does. I'd rather keep BA, and let Cingrani take Homers place.

I'm just tired of his act. How many years have we been waiting for him to come to full fruition? It just isn't going to happen here. So let's get what we can, which should be plenty.

How about Homer to LA for Eithier?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I think Homer and Latos are both going to be difficult to sign, especially if the Reds Front Office is under the impression that either will give the Reds a "hometown discount."

I personally think signing Latos long term is the key to keeping this pitching staff at the top in the NL. Latos is a horse and with him and Cueto it's like having 2 #1's in the rotation.

Bum
    I view resigning Latos as priority 1-a. We've got more time before his current deal ends.

With Latos, I think it'll only be about money/years. With Homer, you have to throw in the location aspect as well.

Latos. He's the guy who can lead this staff for the rest of the decade.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Need to trade Homer for all we can. I'd even do it this year. He doesn't like being in Cincy, so lets ship him the heck out of here for someone who does. I'd rather keep BA, and let Cingrani take Homers place.

I'm just tired of his act. How many years have we been waiting for him to come to full fruition? It just isn't going to happen here. So let's get what we can, which should be plenty.

How about Homer to LA for Eithier?
    I disagree. He's been on record for saying he doesn't care for pitching in GABP. He's since had considerable success in GABP and that opinion may have changed. I've never read he dislikes Cincy...and certainly not his teammates or coaches. But yes, I do know that he'd love to play closer to home in Texas.

As for him coming to fruition...he has. Period. 2 recent poor outings doesn't discount the fact that over the past year he's been DOMINANT. He'd be a #1 or #2 right now on many teams. I'd hate to see all those years of grooming him and being patient with his growing pains bear fruit for some OTHER team. The fans frustration with him isn't due to Homer...it's due to him being brought up WAY too soon and having to learn (and struggle) on the job.

Turn Off Ads?