Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: do you wear french cuffs?

Re: do you wear french cuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    French cuffs are hott like toast in the Tropic of Cancer. Wear them, dude. Skip it if you're under 5'8" -- it'll break up your body line more than you can afford; if you're short, you want your arms to look as long as possible. But otherwise, yeah.
    Oh, the body line. Wouldn't want to break that up.
    I'm so glad to be 5'9".

Having said that, and being a guy who is 6'3" from the waist up and 5'1" from the waist down...jackets and french cuffs do accentuate my torso/leg disparity.

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them. At work, if I encounter a sales rep who is wearing them it just sends up a red flag. But if I meet a lawyer or an executive who is wearing them I am probably more impressed by it.

Socially, I would not expect to see them anywhere I hang out, but I'll leave the judging on that front to the folks who actually have social lives. And my look is probably more quasi-professorial, anyway, which requires frayed cuffs, elbow patches and sensible shoes, and which I have done for so long that a suit makes be feel uncomfortable. Nearly always a sport jacket and plain front pants (another short leg thing, vaticanplum can explain I'll bet) for me.

This is a great thread, but could someone please point me to the farting video? I haven't kept up...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Having said that, and being a guy who is 6'3" from the waist up and 5'1" from the waist down...jackets and french cuffs do accentuate my torso/leg disparity.
    Dude- you're 11' 4""????

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them.
    I'm not sure if I like being metro or not. It can make me a little uncomfortable at times. I hit myself for thinking, "I'll bet that tie would go great with my gray suit..."

The metro thing has definitely turned around my fingernails and overall appearance. Skin care, lotion....it's all a part of my life.

Of course, I shave my head everyday, so what time I save in fixing my hair is spent on sunscreen and lotion.

why yes, yes I do.

(double click if you want to be see some dancing)
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Dude- you're 11' 4""????
    No- it's a description my brother gave me. He said I look like a guy in a funhouse mirror; I can sit in my car and my head hits the ceiling, but I have to put the seat up to reach the peddles.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Oh, the body line. Wouldn't want to break that up.
    I'm so glad to be 5'9".

That's about as metro as I get- Dom rules!- but my gut reaction to french cuffs is that there is a place for them. At work, if I encounter a sales rep who is wearing them it just sends up a red flag. But if I meet a lawyer or an executive who is wearing them I am probably more impressed by it.

Socially, I would not expect to see them anywhere I hang out, but I'll leave the judging on that front to the folks who actually have social lives. And my look is probably more quasi-professorial, anyway, which requires frayed cuffs, elbow patches and sensible shoes, and which I have done for so long that a suit makes be feel uncomfortable. Nearly always a sport jacket and plain front pants (another short leg thing, vaticanplum can explain I'll bet) for me.
    I think you have more of a grasp on clothes than you claim. It makes me very happy that you know all this about yourself. If you are speaking of plain-front pants as opposed to pleated, may I just say that while I generally hold that the number one rule in fashion is to pick clothes that you like and which suit your shape, no man should ever, ever, ever wear pleated pants. It improves the appearance of exactly no one. It's just: dude, where did your legs go? Do you have a butt? May I remind you that a dress would serve the same purpose and probably be more comfortable?

I am the opposite of you, I am short-torsoed (shortsoed). When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere. Reason #637 I am happy to be a girl is because dresses of any length will be ok for long limbs and generally hide the shortsoedness. Reason #638 is because I suspect I would want to wear dresses even if I were a guy, which would have caused significantly greater damage in my early years. (Ironically, though, there were about four years of my childhood when I refused to wear anything but overalls from the boys' department. I probably had not realized I am shortsoed.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere.
    My four year old just drew a great picture of you, then.

When I was a kid I looked like a head with four limbs, just arms and legs everywhere.
    they used to call me "daddy long legs" in gym class. (and I'm only 5'9")

Huh. I was completely wrong about French cuffs, then.
    I thought they were kinda like the cuffs at the end of Jerry's puffy shirt.

In other news they're now called "freedom cuffs"

Thanks again for the tip on Cremieux, Dom. I've had a chance to wear all of the shirts I bought and really like it the best. It's incredibly light and well made.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Thanks again for the tip on Cremieux, Dom. I've had a chance to wear all of the shirts I bought and really like it the best. It's incredibly light and well made.
    If you like really, really, well made shirts- try the Cremieix Henry or Stanley style, or even better, the signature collection.

I bought a signature collection, 2 ply ultra soft cotton (130s) white dress shirt the other day that normally retailed for $130 @ 75% off. I can only find one mall that carries that style, but keep lookng on ebay. They have stuff rolling in because people buy it on sale and try to make a few bucks. Just don't buy my size lol...

Actually- any dress shirt in the signature collection is going to be simply awesome and last forever. Very heavyweight stitching and classic.

I bought a few of the Cremieux suits at the latest sale, and they are are wonderful. I've spent more on lesser suits, that's for sure.

Turn Off Ads?