Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 10-18 Minor League Updates

10-18 Minor League Updates

Surprised with the lack of Arizona Fall league conversations around here. Speaking of surpised...here's a look at our Surprise Rafters Reds players (sorry that was weak).

Adam Rosales - 1B (listed as 1B for this team)
    5 for 11, 2 2b, 1 3b, 6 rbi, 1 bb, 1 k, .455/.538/.818/1.357

Craig Tatum - C
    5 for 15, 1 2b, 1 HR, 3 rbi, 1 bb, 2 k, .333/.375/.600/.975

Chris Dickerson - OF
    7 for 22, 1 2b, 1 3b, 1 HR, 4 rbi, 2 bb, 6 k, 1 SB, .318/.400/.591/.991

Sam LeCure - P
    4 ip, 5 h, 2 r/er, 4 k, 0 bb, 1.25 whip, 4.50 era

Ben Juckich - P
    1 GS, 3 ip, 7 h, 4 r/er, 0 bb, 2 k, 2.33 whip, 12.00 era

Pedro Viola - P
    2 ip, 5 h, 3 r/er, 1 bb, 0 k, 3.00 whip, 13.50 era

-----------------------------

The hitters are doing well, the pitchers are not. Sounds familiar in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dickerson traded if he has a good fall league ala Kevin Howard, but Dickerson actually has SOME potential. Dickerson is an amazing OF'er, but I don't know if the hitting will ever be there. Also with him being a LH'er, I could see them feeling there is no need for him. He would be the type to be packaged with a couple other guys to finish off a deal.

Hawai'i Winter Baseball

Chris Valaika
    13 for 60, 3 2b, 1 HR, 4 rbi, 18 k, 0 bb .217/.217/.317/.533

UGLY - Honestly though I know nothing about this league and what it is usually like. He did start off 1 for 15...since then he is 12 for 45, .267.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 10-18-2007 at 10:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 10-18 Minor League Updates

Dickerson has gone deep tonight and drawn a walk. Rosales is 1-3 with another RBI.

I got a lot less interested in the AFL when Roenicke was pulled out. Would like to see Pelland and Viola do better.

-- Pelland just struck out the side in tonight's game. Just as I requested.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-19-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I got a lot less interested in the AFL when Roenicke was pulled out. Would like to see Pelland and Viola do better.

-- Pelland just struck out the side in tonight's game. Just as I requested.
    Must have read redszone in the pen before he came into the game. Rumors have it, he said something about showing that kc61 on redszone something.... just a rumor though.

Dickerson

I could see Dickerson or Coates making the team as the 5th OF.
    This assumes either Valentin is let go ( look at his declining offensive numbers ) or Hat is traded after his option is picked up.
    Also assumes Freel is traded ( left with Hopper, Coates/Dickerson,
    Kep, Hat/Valentin & Cantu as our bench ).
    I think the team needs two lefty hitters off the bench.
    Dickerson's advantage over Valentin ( and Hat ) - young and most importantly cheap!

Re: Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I could see Dickerson or Coates making the team as the 5th OF.
    This assumes either Valentin is let go ( look at his declining offensive numbers ) or Hat is traded after his option is picked up.
    Also assumes Freel is traded ( left with Hopper, Coates/Dickerson,
    Kep, Hat/Valentin & Cantu as our bench ).
    I think the team needs two lefty hitters off the bench.
    Dickerson's advantage over Valentin ( and Hat ) - young and most importantly cheap!
    Don't we need a backup Catcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Re: Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Don't we need a backup Catcher?
    no, we need a starting catcher with Ross as the backup.
    Valentin isn't good defensively and his offensive numbers are in decline.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, or Buck Coats or his family, but Coats is awful. If he is on this team come April 1, we are in SERIOUS trouble off the bench. He is brutal in every facet of the game.

What type of trade value does that Rosales kid have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    What type of trade value does that Rosales kid have.
    Not very much. He could be a throw-in to a deal, that's probably about it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I don't mean to offend anyone here, or Buck Coats or his family, but Coats is awful. If he is on this team come April 1, we are in SERIOUS trouble off the bench. He is brutal in every facet of the game.
    I don't understand picking him up. I personally would rather see Dickerson in the Majors then Coats

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Must have read redszone in the pen before he came into the game. Rumors have it, he said something about showing that kc61 on redszone something.... just a rumor though.

Good for Pelland. Glad I helped him out.

I'm always skeptical of minor league success, but would love to see Pelland, Roenicke and Viola form the back end of the Reds pen with Burton some day (soon). Ok, Weathers too.

Question for Kc61

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Good for Pelland. Glad I helped him out.

I'm always skeptical of minor league success, but would love to see Pelland, Roenicke and Viola form the back end of the Reds pen with Burton some day (soon). Ok, Weathers too.
    Are you ready to hand the 2008 pen to the youngsters we have now ( plus Weathers ) ?
    Or do you think we need to get another established arm for the 2008 pen?

It seems to me that we have a lot of young arms but are they reliable? Everyone is a big Burton fan but even he only has one ( ? one half ) a season of major league success.
    Bray, Coffey, Majik, Salmon, McBeth, Coutlangas, etc - some have promise, some have a lot of promise , but I am worried that 2008 could trun into 2006/2007 if we don't find another real established reliever for the pen.

Re: Question for Kc61

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Are you ready to hand the 2008 pen to the youngsters we have now ( plus Weathers ) ?
    Or do you think we need to get another established arm for the 2008 pen?

It seems to me that we have a lot of young arms but are they reliable? Everyone is a big Burton fan but even he only has one ( ? one half ) a season of major league success.
    Bray, Coffey, Majik, Salmon, McBeth, Coutlangas, etc - some have promise, some have a lot of promise , but I am worried that 2008 could trun into 2006/2007 if we don't find another real established reliever for the pen.
    I agree, Reds need another established reliever. No doubt in my mind. Was being a little optimistic in my previous post.

But it's possible that Roenicke and Pelland (maybe Viola too) may be better prospects than some of the guys you mentioned. Right now, I don't see any of the guys you selected as true back end relievers. Maybe Bray. Maybe McBeth. Maybe in each case.

Sometimes we all anticipate that the new guys will be better than the guys we've already seen, so perhaps I'm just being hopeful. Still I'm rooting for the new crop of Pelland, Roenicke and Viola to succeed.

And maybe it's 2009 for this new group, or mid-'08, rather than next spring.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Pelland strikes me as a guy who's going to do very well the first time a league sees him and then not-so-well after that. Ultimately, I think he's a LOOGY.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?