Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Umpires in the Postseason

Re: Umpires in the Postseason

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Joe Posnanski today wrote that we have a situation of where terrible umpiring calls are deciding games "while baseball gurus just sit back like the wrestling referee who doesn't notice that one guy brought a metal chair into the ring."
    I'm quoting myself quoting Joe Posnanski, becuae I like Posnanski's quote.
    The Reds have made 4 errors thus far tonight, which means their performance in the field has been much better than that of the umpires.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Say what you will about this game. The tying run scored by Utley unproperlly being awarded 1st base, advancing to 2nd on a bad call, and then missing 3rd base and scoring a run. Granted the Reds would have had to appeal at 3rd. Replays would have shown Utley was never hit by the pitch and out at 2nd. I say this because make what you want about the 3 run 7th inning it was aided by the umpires. Had Utley never been awarded 1st base that inning may have never happened. But thanks to the umpiring, and the Reds misplays, the Phillies scored 3 runs in that inning. It changed the game and just may have changed the series.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Say what you will about this game. The tying run scored by Utley unproperlly being awarded 1st base, advancing to 2nd on a bad call, and then missing 3rd base and scoring a run. Granted the Reds would have had to appeal at 3rd. Replays would have shown Utley was never hit by the pitch and out at 2nd. I say this because make what you want about the 3 run 7th inning it was aided by the umpires. Had Utley never been awarded 1st base that inning may have never happened. But thanks to the umpiring, and the Reds misplays, the Phillies scored 3 runs in that inning. It changed the game and just may have changed the series.
    I don't think its so obvious. No one on the Reds argued him taking his base. Not Chapman. Not Hanigan. Not Dusty. I'm guessing its because it really did hit him.

This team was beaten by free baserunners from errors, walks and HBP.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Clearly? I didn't think it was very clear. You can't make heads from tails on that replay. I think he wasn't hit, but I didn't think there was anything clear about it.

The problem I had with that play is that the umpire flinched on the ball just like the batter and catcher, and I don't think he saw it. I think he let Utley's reaction dictate the call. But I don't think it was clear one way or another.
    Maybe not 100% clear, but after watching it I am pretty sure that ball didn't hit Utley. And I'm certain he was out at 2nd base. Reds were in the process of killing themselves so maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but that was a pathetic inning of umpiring. Unexcusable when there is a simple solution that could correct these calls if only MLB would agree to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Unexcusable when there is a simple solution that could correct these calls if only MLB would agree to use it.
    No, no, no! We've gotta preserve our tradition of not correcting terrible umpiring calls.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Maybe not 100% clear, but after watching it I am pretty sure that ball didn't hit Utley. And I'm certain he was out at 2nd base. Reds were in the process of killing themselves so maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but that was a pathetic inning of umpiring. Unexcusable when there is a simple solution that could correct these calls if only MLB would agree to use it.
    I rewound it 5 times and I still can't tell. My inkling is that it didn't hit him, but I don't see how anyone can be sure one way or another.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Someone should mention to The Bud that he should think about all that extra commercial time he could sell as a result of replay delays. That'll get it done.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Umps just blew another call in the Braves series. Cox just got tossed. MLB and Selig should be embarrassed by the umps this postseason. They have had a big part in too many games with totally blown calls.

The sad thing is these umps are supposed to be the cream of the crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The sad thing is these umps are supposed to be the cream of the crop.
    When you separate the chaff from the chaff, you've still got chaff.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The sad thing is a lot of these calls could easily be quickly overturned by replay. You don't need to stop the whole game for minutes and take all the umps off the field. Just have a replay official in a booth that can buzz down if they see something (not balls and strikes but other plays) that is obviously wrong.

Like tonight easily someone could have seen Utley was never hit buzz down to the ump they could have called him back and the AB continues.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This is where I am.

If Utley was legitimately on base and legitimately safe at second, then I can stomach the errors and say, the Reds beat themselves.

I can't say that right now. And therefore I am too angry to see straight.

Just sick to my stomach.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The sad thing is a lot of these calls could easily be quickly overturned by replay. You don't need to stop the whole game for minutes and take all the umps off the field. Just have a replay official in a booth that can buzz down if they see something (not balls and strikes but other plays) that is obviously wrong.

Like tonight easily someone could have seen Utley was never hit buzz down to the ump they could have called him back and the AB continues.
    Agree about how to use replay. The reason NFL style replay is disliked so much is because the officials insited the guys on the field be the ones to make the call. This makes it a huge production with a stoppage in play. If we can see on TV in a matter of seconds that a call is wrong, so can an umpire/official in the booth and it can be used to correct things with little or no play stoppage. Replay isn't the issue, its the production that is made of it by having the guys on the field leave their posts to go look at it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I guess they're trying their best but man do they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think these missed calls have always been around.

Its just that every game is televised now in High Definition and 19 different camera angles and 60 fps that show everything in great detail millisecond by millisecond.

My comment isn't meant as an excuse, but just more that technology has exposed a long-standing problem.
    Exactly. The umps haven't got a chance when pitted against technology. We can sit in the comfort of our living room while the crew replays it in slo-mo and from 20 different angles.

And I'm like you Roy - it's not that I'm making excuses, and don't even scream at the umpire (TV) myself, but they've got a split second to make a crucial call, and an overwhelming majority of the time they get it right.

I think there should be some form of instant replay/review, but don't ask me how it should be done. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?