Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It also obviously helps that the NFL only has 16 games, so there's just the single, national television contract (ok, there are 5 separate networks, but they are all national contracts that the teams share evenly). With 82 and 162 games, respectively, that model obviously wouldn't work in the NBA or MLB. And that drives a large portion of the wealth differential between big and small markets in those leagues.
    The way to get around that is to require all local broadcast contracts be either negotiated or approved by the league to ensure no teams are hiding money through deals with team-owned media outlets and then split local revenues 50/50 team/league. Then divvy up league revenues equally. It won't get rid of all revenue disparity, but it will alleviate the problem.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping the entire NBA season is canceled. It's so refreshing to watch ESPN and not see worthless pro basketball highlights played by the usual bored players.

And it's great to see more NHL highlights!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping the entire NBA season is canceled. It's so refreshing to watch ESPN and not see worthless pro basketball highlights played by the usual bored players.

And it's great to see more NHL highlights!
    It is interesting that the NBA has this reputation. The NBA has been fantastic and entertaining for the past few seasons, yet this is a common complaint by people.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It is interesting that the NBA has this reputation. The NBA has been fantastic and entertaining for the past few seasons, yet this is a common complaint by people.
    There's an elephant in the room when it comes to a lot of people's criticism of pro basketball, and that's as far as I will go with it. (That elephant is not necessarily on this board)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Yeah. I also have found the NBA very entertaining the last few seasons. Maybe some people want it to be like the college game, but it's never again going to be like the college game. I love the college game too, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the incredible athleticism and skill of NBA players.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Stat geek...and proud
    I don't understand the people who say "college players have better fundamentals." Where do the best college players end up? The NBA. Did they forget how they played for their whole life when they went pro? Of course not. I think a lot of the problem with people who don't like the product on the court stems with the 24 second clock, which makes things too quick to run old school Bob Knight style offenses, which is what "Middle America" likes. Even if it is like watching paint dry.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I don't understand the people who say "college players have better fundamentals." Where do the best college players end up? The NBA. Did they forget how they played for their whole life when they went pro? Of course not. I think a lot of the problem with people who don't like the product on the court stems with the 24 second clock, which makes things too quick to run old school Bob Knight style offenses, which is what "Middle America" likes. Even if it is like watching paint dry.

Well if you can't appreciate the beauty of an old school well run college offense then you confuse me as much as people who complain about the nba.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well if you can't appreciate the beauty of an old school well run college offense then you confuse me as much as people who complain about the nba.
    I appreciate it at the high school and college level, but the quality of the athletes at the pro level is a waste if they are just standing around pick and rolling every play. They need to be unleashed.

Amen.

Like many people, I stopped following the NBA post-Jordan and almost exclusively watched college basketball but I started casually watching the NBA a few years ago and I think the product on the court is as good as it's ever been. To be sure there are some bad games, but as a whole the quality of play is fantastic. I still watch UC games and the NCAA tournament, but otherwise I'll take an NBA game over a college game any day of the week. The quality of play in the NBA is lightyears ahead of the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I appreciate it at the high school and college level, but the quality of the athletes at the pro level is a waste if they are just standing around pick and rolling every play. They need to be unleashed.

I mostly agree. Which is why I dont try to compare the two. I was just responding to your comment that an old school college offense is like watching paint dry.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I mostly agree. Which is why I dont try to compare the two. I was just responding to your comment that an old school college offense is like watching paint dry.
    Ah, I didn't really mean that literally. More of a jab at the type of people who call WLW and ask why they never have Votto bunt. The "stuck in the past, everything was better 40 years ago" type guys. Heck, I'm an IU fan so I grew up watching that style of hoops, but that doesn't mean I want to see Kobe play like that. There's a segment of fans who would like that, though, and that is what I don't get about it.

I'm a humongous sports fan with sports-oriented friends here in Cincinnati and in my former home of Colorado/Wyoming, where I lived for much of the last six years. I go to sports bars all the time to watch baseball, football and hockey; I go to Reds, Bengals, Flyers and Buckeyes games; and I love to talk sports at work or just about anywhere.

That being said, I can honestly say that I know zero people who follow or even remotely like the NBA. Not a single person, despite having lived in the Denver area when the Nuggets made the conference finals and having one whole side of my family that lives in Cleveland. Aside from making fun of Lebron James, I can't even tell you the last time I talked to anyone about something that happened in the NBA. It's totally off the radar of so many otherwise great sports fans.

Maybe that's a product of living in the middle of such a college basketball hotbed (UC, X, UK, OSU, UD, IU, WVU, Butler, Louisville, Purdue, etc), but really I didn't know anyone in the Denver area that cared what the Nuggets did. Denver's sports hierarchy is 1. Broncos 2. Rockies 3. Avs 4. Nuggets. (The Broncos are a landslide No. 1, the Rox and Avs are interchangeable at 2 and 3, depending on who's better at the moment, and the Nuggets are solidly fourth).
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 10-26-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Maybe that's a product of living in the middle of such a college basketball hotbed (UC, X, UK, OSU, UD, IU, WVU, Butler, Louisville, Purdue, etc), but really I didn't know anyone in the Denver area that cared what the Nuggets did. Denver's sports hierarchy is 1. Broncos 2. Rockies 3. Avs 4. Nuggets. (The Broncos are a landslide No. 1, the Rox and Avs are interchangeable at 2 and 3, depending on who's better at the moment, and the Nuggets are solidly fourth).
    It hasn't changed. I don't hear anything on the radio or see anything on TV about the lockout (other than on ESPN). Hardly anyone here in Colorado is talking about it. Of course, I don't live in Denver so the talk could be rampant up there but I highly doubt it.

This area isn't a big basketball territory anyway so it's probably not a fair region to compare. College hoops doesn't generate much discussion either.

"It's not practical, possible or prudent to have a full season now," said Stern, who previously canceled the first two weeks of the season.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1c7ofLRrK

Partial season at best now. Houston has a team but there doesn't seem to be much of an outcry down here over this latest announcement. I hope they get it settled soon. I am in a decided minority.

Stern's full of crap. Why can't they extend the season a month or so? They play inside so that weather won't be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?