Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronicle of Dusty's 2012 Managerial Crimes

Chronicle of Dusty's 2012 Managerial Crimes

I am starting a thread to keep track of Dusty's blunders this season.

Entry 1: 4/8- Allowing 3 runs to cross before replacing Arroyo in the 7th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chronicle of Dusty's 2012 Managerial Crimes

A hit batter, a first pitch hit, and then the flood gates opened up. He had around 70 pitches going into the inning and had been throwing well.

What reliever are you thinking of that gets ready in 5 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    A hit batter, a first pitch hit, and then the flood gates opened up. He had around 70 pitches going into the inning and had been throwing well.

I think you are capturing Dusty's reasoning. I am sure he will say much the same if he asked about it by the press. But since Bronson had a horrible 2011, a not-so-stellar Spring, and the Reds were trying to protect a 2-run lead, why not have someone warm up to start the 7th, or at least when he plunks the first batter? You can always use that same reliever the following inning if he is not needed in the 7th. The 100 pitch rule? The 7 inning rule? I see no advantage in not preparing for this possibility.

I argue that today was an example of Dusty being caught off guard by pitching meltdown- a meltdown which he could have at least partially anticipated. I also do not believe it is the first time this type of thing has happened.

Didn't we win this game?
    PDM

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I think you are capturing Dusty's reasoning. I am sure he will say much the same if he asked about it by the press. But since Bronson had a horrible 2011, a not-so-stellar Spring, and the Reds were trying to protect a 2-run lead, why not have someone warm up to start the 7th, or at least when he plunks the first batter? You can always use that same reliever the following inning if he is not needed in the 7th. The 100 pitch rule? The 7 inning rule? I see no advantage in not preparing for this possibility.

I argue that today was an example of Dusty being caught off guard by pitching meltdown- a meltdown which he could have at least partially anticipated. I also do not believe it is the first time this type of thing has happened.
    It's the 3rd game of the year, and it was Bronson's first start. He looked really good up until that point, the 2nd run he gave up was due to an error on the stolen base attempt. If his pitch count were around 90 heading into that inning I would agree with you, at 70ish pitches not so much.

Ideally Bronson gets through that inning, Chapman pitches the 8th, and Marshall the 9th. That way Ondrusek gets the day off after pitching in last night's game (even though it wasn't a long appearance last night). Warming him for no apparent reason would have made zero sense with the way the game was unfolding.

Reds win in spite of IDIOT. If he was going to use Chapman for 2 innings then there was no excuse not to bring him in when or before the first two reached in the 7th against Bronson. Another example of his mismanaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

There were several people in the game thread that stated Arroyo shouldn't go more than six. Dusty should have had someone getting ready. That is his job, to anticipate situations. Anyone can manage after the fact. That one clearly was on Dusty, IMO.

That way Ondrusek gets the day off after pitching in last night's game (even though it wasn't a long appearance last night). Warming him for no apparent reason would have made zero sense with the way the game was unfolding.
    And yet Bill Bray hasn't made an appearance yet if I am not mistaken. He could have handled the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Reds win in spite of IDIOT. If he was going to use Chapman for 2 innings then there was no excuse not to bring him in when or before the first two reached in the 7th against Bronson. Another example of his mismanaging.
    Agreed 100%. If you are going to use Chapman for two innings bring him in to start the 7th. Let him work the 7th and the 8th. Marshall closes it in the 9th.
    Of course, after Dusty butchered the 7th I suppose he felt compelled to leave Chapman in to keep the game winnable.

Dusty has said that Bray is not quite ready for the late inning role, and if he doesn't trust him yet then I wouldn't want him entering the 7th today either. He could have had someone starting to warm up in the beginning of the 7th however, and I'm sure if you asked him he may admit that

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Dusty has said that Bray is not quite ready for the late inning role, and if he doesn't trust him yet then I wouldn't want him entering the 7th today either. He could have had someone starting to warm up in the beginning of the 7th however, and I'm sure if you asked him he may admit that
    This may be the dumbest thing Dusty has ever said. So Bray could pitch the 6th but not the 7th? Because if you give up a run in the 6th it isn't worth as much as a run in the 7th? Simply amazing.

To me u get Chapman up to pitch the 7-8 especially since he only threw ten pitches on Thursday and has had two days off. Again mote proof Dusty is not even an adequate field manager...

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Isn't the reason Dusty didn't use Aroldis in the seventh was that the pitcher's spot was due up 3rd in the next inning? Would've forced Aroldis to only go .2, or give up an AB in a tight game. I don't hate the move. And did Ondrusek give up a 2 run homer I'm missing? With the exception of maybe pulling Arroyo earlier, seemed like it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This may be the dumbest thing Dusty has ever said. So Bray could pitch the 6th but not the 7th? Because if you give up a run in the 6th it isn't worth as much as a run in the 7th? Simply amazing.

He said he was still in spring training mode as far as where his arm is and that they were going to break him in slower than normal. I'm guessing he could pitch in any inning as long as it wasn't a high pressure situation with the game on the line or something of that nature. I really dont understand that. He could have started Bray on the DL and let Francis start the season as the loogy. O well I guess they want to keep Francis as a starter and he will log more innings at AAA than pitching one inning every 3 or 4 days.
    Last edited by DGullett35; 04-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PMand JM View Post
    Didn't we win this game?
    yes but you cant come back every game.

we could of threw some1 in 7th chapman 8th sean m 9th and prob never give lead up

Turn Off Ads?