Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds linked again to Ryan Ludwick, relief

Reds linked again to Ryan Ludwick, relief

According to Jon Heyman's column today.

Reds and Phillies have been in talks with the Padres, with reportedly San Diego more interested in hearing out Cincinnati.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a1

The Phillies and Reds are said to match best with the Padres since both those teams seek a righthanded-hitting outfielder and relief help. The Padres seem of a mind to hear what the Reds might offer since the match is probably best with them, but Cincinnati is more methodical in its dealings than Philly GM Ruben Amaro, who is in the Whitey Herzog school of direct dealing. The Cardinals, Yankees, Angels and White Sox are believed to be the other teams talking to the Padres about bullpen help. San Diego is relief central, with Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Chad Qualls. They also have outfielder Ryan Ludwick, who could help the Giants, Braves, Pirates or Indians as well as the Reds or Phillies. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has ties to Ludwick from St. Louis.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds linked again to Ryan Ludwick, relief

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    According to Jon Heyman's column today.

Reds and Phillies have been in talks with the Padres, with reportedly San Diego more interested in hearing out Cincinnati.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t11_a1
    Sounds pretty promising for a change. Hope Walt doesn't feel inclined to give up way too much for these guys though, no Mesoraco Walt! And for that matter no one who can help right now or soon (like Sappelt).
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Ludwick's stock is very, very low right now. Of course, so is his performance, but he seems like the type who would explode after a change of scenery. The Padres would probably dump him for a no-namer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't understand the interest in Ludwick. He's a 33 year old who hasn't been good since his BABIP fueled 2008. What value does he bring to the table above and beyond what you can get from Heisey? I'd certainly prefer him to Gomes, but at what cost? If it's more than, say, Matt Maloney and lower minors relief prospect, I'm not interested.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Ludwick's stock is very, very low right now. Of course, so is his performance, but he seems like the type who would explode after a change of scenery. The Padres would probably dump him for a no-namer.
    I really don't want to add Ryan Ludwick to our stable of average LF'ers. I don't think he's much of an upgrade, if any, over Gomes at this point.

YUK! This is no upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I really don't want to add Ryan Ludwick to our stable of average LF'ers. I don't think he's much of an upgrade, if any, over Gomes at this point.
    At first glance, I don't blame you for that position.

But consider that Ludwick's OPS+, which is OPS adjusted for league and ballpark, is average right now. If you take him out of Petco and put him in GABP (where he's hit well in his career to the tune of .921), and out of the Padres awful lineup and in between Votto & Bruce, I really believe he would be a solid acquisition.

Ludwick would be, arguably, a smallish upgrade offensively but would be a better defensive player in left than Gomes.

I actually think Ludwick could be bought very low and be a solid addition.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't understand the interest in Ludwick. He's a 33 year old who hasn't been good since his BABIP fueled 2008. What value does he bring to the table above and beyond what you can get from Heisey? I'd certainly prefer him to Gomes, but at what cost? If it's more than, say, Matt Maloney and lower minors relief prospect, I'm not interested.
    Well he has some pop and he has some experience, I believe he is a bit better hitter than Heisey at this juncture and he is a better fielder than Gomes. I wouldn't give up much for him but I would think he upgrades us a bit and for a song I'll take that, he is better suited to hit 4th for us than anyone else we have currently. I like Heisey coming off the bench right now and in the playoffs or just late in the season trying to make them we might actually have to use Heisey in CF if Stubbs is scuffling.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-18-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

But consider that Ludwick's OPS+, which is OPS adjusted for league and ballpark, is average right now. If you take him out of Petco and put him in GABP (where he's hit well in his career to the tune of .921), and out of the Padres awful lineup and in between Votto & Bruce, I really believe he would be a solid acquisition.

Ludwick would be, arguably, a smallish upgrade offensively but would be a better defensive player in left than Gomes.

I agree, he is hitting something like .122 in July. We are talking fungo bats and dirty socks for Ludwick. He is the kind of guy that gets tossed into a deal to take a player like Adams.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

-The Insider-

I'd do DT and Maloney for Ludwick but that's it.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 07-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    x2

Unfortunately I see Ludwick as the most likely player the Reds will acquire.

I'd much prefer Ubaldo, even with the considerably higher price tag.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    x2

Unfortunately I see Ludwick as the most likely player the Reds will acquire.

I'd much prefer Ubaldo, even with the considerably higher price tag.
    On the surface I would agree with you. I think Ludwick really needs out of San Diego. Once he was traded last season the Cardinals went into a funk, and so did Ludwick. He knows the central, was a good to very good bat as recently as last July, a cheap pickup, and is right in Walt's wheelhouse. I would be onboard. Gotta roll the dice here. Especially if he is going to be acquired for peanuts.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Hate to say it, but if they acquire Ludwick I think it will be mainly to appear to be doing something. Play Chris Heisey and get it over with.

OPS+ is park adjusted, though, so why would you expect it to improve once he leaves San Diego? Is it just because of "protection?" I'm not aware of any evidence that protection actually exists.

Isn't it possible the Reds could get Ludwick in a package deal for one of their relievers as well? I'm listening if that's the case.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?