Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arroyo Reds HOF?

Re: Arroyo Reds HOF?

He is in. Love his honesty in saying Chapman should stay in the bullpen. Also, how many pitchers do a TV interview after they LOSE a game? A stand up guy for sure. I wonder if he would consider pitching in the WBC?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Id say yes. Hes been pretty productive and is alwasy gonna take the ball every 5th day. He also is pretty guaranteed to win at least 10 games a year. He seems to be getting better with age. I wouldnt mind having him for a couple more years if the money is right.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

My favorite statistic last year which was announced during a FSN broadcast was about Arroyo stating that "Arroyo has the most wins of any NL pitcher from 2008-2012." When you have the most wins for any pitcher over a 5 year stretch, that is consistency and shows why he belongs in the Reds HOF to me.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    My favorite statistic last year which was announced during a FSN broadcast was about Arroyo stating that "Arroyo has the most wins of any NL pitcher from 2008-2012." When you have the most wins for any pitcher over a 5 year stretch, that is consistency and shows why he belongs in the Reds HOF to me.
    Along those same lines, would you believe that Arroyo has more wins in a Reds uniform than either Rijo or Harang and with 10 wins this season he would pass Mario Soto, who won exactly 100 games in his career?

The winningest pitcher in the last 30 years for the Reds was none other than Tom Browning with 123 wins in 11 years (11.18/season). Bronson has 91 through 7 seasons (13/season). Bronson will also likely bcome only the 10th pitcher to strike out 1000 batters as a Red. I think he may be the most under-appreciated player the Reds have had in a long, long time.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

6. Likes:

redsfanmia (02-16-2013)

Statistically speaking, I'd say no. But the Reds HOF is also based on sentiment and intangibles, and for those reasons I'd definitely say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Statistically speaking, I'd say no. But the Reds HOF is also based on sentiment and intangibles, and for those reasons I'd definitely say yes.

The above stats by Captain and Heath say different about the first part.

And the MLB HoF certainly isn't immune to sentiment and intangibles, nor should it be.

Not picking at you by any means, but I think the prevailing sentiment that you expressed is why the previous comment about Arroyo being the most under appreciated Red in decades has so much merit.

Arroyo has been above average to very good for a long, consistent stretch (as the stats cited show). He has also eaten innings and mass produced quality starts, which is a meaningful stat if 1/2 your games are in gabp.

And in terms of the Reds HoF, as has also been noted, the competition is not exactly stellar when it comes to starting pitchers. Arroyo, for good or bad, is one of the best 5 starting pitchers for the Reds since the BRM, with a 3 yr window as a minimum comparison basis -- and better if you expand that window.

No doubt, he belongs in the Red's HoF. The previous stats mention shows his steadiness that is becoming more and more rare these days. He also weathered some rough seasons while be his usual winning self. As a bright spot in a lowly and dark era, Arroyo was a glimmer of hope in a destopian past.

yes, especially when you factor in how non-competitive many of the Reds teams were the first 4-5 years he pitched here.

I wondered how Bronson compares to other Reds HOF pitchers. I figured the best stat for measuring longevity, success, and value to the team is the old Wins stat.

Bronson is currently 22nd on the list of Reds wins (at 91). Of the 21 ahead of him, 19 of them are in the Reds HOF. Only Fred Dwyer (133) and Billy Rhines (96) have been overlooked among this group. Bronson has already passed Seaver, Billingham, Norman and other HOFers. Barring injury, Bronson will pass Rhines as well as Rijo (97) and Soto (100) in wins this year. I'd say he's a lock. Makes me wonder what Dwyer did to piss the voters off.

Groujo

Turn Off Ads?