Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on some language...

Re: Thoughts on some language...

5/3 Bank: We're 2/3 better than a regular bank.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

What about the most redundant name in baseball? The Los Angeles Angels. (the The Angels Angels)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I don't mean to be contrarian but I've got two issues with Wiki here:

1) Wouldn't the original name have been Chris' (as opposed to just Chris) Steakhouse with Chris being in the possessive? It's like saying Fred Diner or Macy Department Store. We again arrive at the question as to whether "Chris" is a kind of steak. If this is just an issue of Bayou illiteracy, they need to get some learnin'.

2) I have never heard of a selling party insisting that the buyer keep a name. I've heard of a seller insisting that a name not be used, as the seller might use it in business at another time, or to protect reputation, etc.. But why would a party who has no interest in a business care what name another owner uses?

Fishy.
    From the Austin restaurant's website

The year was 1965, and Ruth Fertel was looking to buy a business. The 38 year-old divorcee from Happy Jack, Louisiana was a Tulane University lab assistant in New Orleans. But she knew she couldn't send her two sons to college on her $4,800 annual salary, so she began scouring the classified ads. A tavern? No, she hated drunks. A gas station? Boring. Then she saw in the classified ads, that a restaurant near the Fairgrounds racetrack called the Chris Steak House was for sale. "Oh," she thought, "I'm sure I could do that!"

Ruth Fertel had never worked in the food service business, but her can-do drive was well established. She had graduated from high school at 15 and earned a chemistry degree from LSU at 19. So against the advice of her banker and her attorney, she mortgaged her house for the $18,000 asking price, plus $4,000 more for supplies, which the banker had patiently explained she would need. They might have objected even more strenuously if they had known Chris Matulich had already sold his 60 seat steak house six times, repeatedly buying it back on the cheap when the latest owner had failed or given up.
    Looks like Chris didn't want to deal with changing the name back each time he took it back over. BTW, the website said the story this excerpt is from was adapted from a Forbes Magazine article.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It is. West Michigan, the Tigers low A club, also plays in 5/3. On a side rant, 5/3's customer service really has gone to crap over the past 5 years or so. I finally got fed up and switched banks a year or two ago it's gotten so bad.
    Ive heard ramblings that fifth third is so far behind tech wise that it is almost unbelievable. They are said to be using outdated software and it would not suprize me if they were bought out in the near future. How about fifth third bank one field?

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    Ive heard ramblings that fifth third is so far behind tech wise that it is almost unbelievable. They are said to be using outdated software and it would not suprize me if they were bought out in the near future. How about fifth third bank one field?
    Bank One was already bought out by Citi I believe. My wife is in the banking industry and rumors about a new buyout come up just about once a month. Chances are, if Fifth Third is behind tech-wise, they may get bought out by a bank better on the tech side, or they may buy someone else out, say a bank with a better online presence, to shore up that area. These days a lot of banks are getting bought out or merged in order to get a hold of their branch offices. If the 90s were all about replacing branches with ATMs, the 2000s are all about getting more branches as banks seek to offer a wider variety of financial services to the general public.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Wheelhouse, there's a street in Richmond, VA called Hull Street Road. I have no idea what that's about but it makes my head spin so I feel your pain.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

1.666666666666 Bank
    1 2/3 Bank

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's funny because Fifth Third is a merger of two banks, but the logo they give (the five over the three) indicates five thirds, not fifth third, hence the confusion.

When you see 3/4 you don't say, "third fourth."

They may not mean for this to appear as a fraction, but it gives that impression.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Wheelhouse, there's a street in Richmond, VA called Hull Street Road. I have no idea what that's about but it makes my head spin so I feel your pain.
    In Syracuse, there's a street called Not-a-town Road

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Thanks! But no "and" in the name--I guess we dont have time for conjunctions in our society...

I can't see that word without singing "conjunction junction, what's your function" That was some quality programming.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I for one would never do business with a company that takes an improper fraction as its name.

Now, "1 and 2/3 bank", I could get behind that.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    What about the most redundant name in baseball? The Los Angeles Angels. (the The Angels Angels)
    Local (SW Portland) High School nicknames

Beaverton Beavers

Tigard Tigers
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Local (SW Portland) High School nicknames

Beaverton Beavers

Tigard Tigers
    Middletown Middies. yo
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

campbell county camels?
    am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I believe Los Angeles means "city of angels," doesn't it?

It would be The City of Angels', Angels.

I dunno. My Spanish is not so much good.

Turn Off Ads?