Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton being sent to AA

Re: Hamilton being sent to AA

Did I hear correctly on the TV today that Cozart set the record for doubles by a shortstop before the All-Star break?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Did I hear correctly on the TV today that Cozart set the record for doubles by a shortstop before the All-Star break?
    Yes you did, with 21. Passed Nomar Garciapara's prior record.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yes you did, with 21. Passed Nomar Garciapara's prior record.
    Didn't know they tracked such records. But that's quite an accomplishment. I think we are missing the forest for the trees a bit with Cozart. I want 1500 mlb at bats before I ever proclaim to know what type of player he is. And that means Didi and Billy better move positions or be traded in my mind.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Didn't know they tracked such records. But that's quite an accomplishment. I think we are missing the forest for the trees a bit with Cozart. I want 1500 mlb at bats before I ever proclaim to know what type of player he is. And that means Didi and Billy better move positions or be traded in my mind.
    Cozart is quietly having a very nice rookie season. He's been an above average fielder and base runner. He may end up hitting 20 home runs and 40 doubles. That would be awesome for a rookie shortstop! His problem is his OBP. He's at .297. He just needs to be moved down in the order, probably to the 6 or 7 spot to really thrive.

Cozart is quietly having a very nice rookie season. He's been an above average fielder and base runner. He may end up hitting 20 home runs and 40 doubles. That would be awesome for a rookie shortstop! His problem is his OBP. He's at .297. He just needs to be moved down in the order, probably to the 6 or 7 spot to really thrive.
    Ideally, until his ability to get on base improves, I agree that he should bat down in the line-up. The problem, of course, is that this team is loaded with guys who need to hit 6th - 8th, and somebody has to hit 1st 2nd and 4th. I keep thinking that Cozart is going to turn the corner on the OBP issue; but, then again, isn't this pretty much what his minor league stats indicated? Don't get me wrong, however, I'm a Cozart fan - and for the first time in a while I don't feel like the SS position is an issue for the Reds. Still, with his speed and power, if he could improve his OBP enough he sure would look nice hitting 2nd.

Am I understanding the clubs current position on this (or perhaps many folks here; well at least some) that one or the other can make the situation later, but to develop them as shortstops until it's necessary to move them? I can imagine it's a delicate balancing act as to when to pull the trigger on this type thing. Such a move would impact other prospects besides either of these two.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Wasn't sure if it was posted in one of the other ten Hamilton threads...but a new article by Jeff Passan:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reds-fa...this-year.html

The stories are told with such certainty they're almost apocryphal. There may not be a player with a tool commensurate to Hamilton's speed – not Bryce Harper's power, not Rick Ankiel's arm, not Brendan Ryan's glove, not Justin Verlander's fastball, not even Mariano Rivera's cutter.

With Hamilton, its the little things that will go a long way, and most of those little things may never show up in a box score.

Things like being a distraction to the defense while on base. One thing about growing up listening to Marty and Joe during the Reds games was that Joe Nuxhall was a great baseball teacher. Joe Morgan was a master at being a distraction and Nuxhall would describe a lot of those little things.

For example, the 1B holding the runner on at 1B, creates a hole on the right side of the infield. As a result, the 2B has to move a step or two more towards 1B in order to plug the hole. Sparky figured out that if he put a right handed hitter like Foster, Bench, or Perez, that when Morgan would attempt a steal, the 2B would cover 2B (a LH batter has the SS covering 2B on a steal), and that resulted in the 2B cheating a step closer to 2B. The end result would be then the SS would cheat closer to 2B to help out, leaving more holes in the infield.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

For some reason, this was a double post
    Last edited by MikeS21; 07-09-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So you want to wait until after his age 28 season to proclaim what type of player he is? If Cozart were currently 22, I would say you have a point. But he is 26 (will be 27 in 4 weeks). The 'quick progress' part of his game is probably unlikely to come along at this age. He is probably very close to what he is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Ideally, until his ability to get on base improves, I agree that he should bat down in the line-up. The problem, of course, is that this team is loaded with guys who need to hit 6th - 8th, and somebody has to hit 1st 2nd and 4th. I keep thinking that Cozart is going to turn the corner on the OBP issue; but, then again, isn't this pretty much what his minor league stats indicated? Don't get me wrong, however, I'm a Cozart fan - and for the first time in a while I don't feel like the SS position is an issue for the Reds. Still, with his speed and power, if he could improve his OBP enough he sure would look nice hitting 2nd.
    I think it could be solved easier than that. If it were me (until some of these guys improve), I would go...

Phillips
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Cozart
    Stubbs

If Mez is playing, I would go...

Phillips
    Mez
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Cozart
    Stubbs

I think it could be solved easier than that. If it were me (until some of these guys improve), I would go...

Phillips
    Hanigan
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Cozart
    Stubbs

If Mez is playing, I would go...

Phillips
    Mez
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Cozart
    Stubbs
    I like your lineup.

What I'd really like though is:

Capable CF leadoff
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Hanigan/Mes
    Cozart
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Billy Hamilton - fastest player ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Billy Hamilton - fastest player ever?

Deion Sanders is the fastest player I've ever seen here in Cincinnati. Herb Washington was probably the fastest MLB player ever

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like your lineup.

What I'd really like though is:

Capable CF leadoff
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Hanigan/Mes
    Cozart
    Sign me up, that looks delicious. Where do we get a Capable CF Leadoff hitter though? (C'mon Billy Hamilton!)

GL

Turn Off Ads?