Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Trade For Conine

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds Trade For Conine

Anyone remember '89, when the Reds picked up Trillo, Youngblood, Tekulve, and an old Ken Griffey and Dave Collins?

Scary part is the Reds don't quite have the core of young, good players (Davis, Larkin, O'Neill, Sabo) that the '89 team did, so a WS Championship in '08 probably isn't in the offing.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I'm ok with it. As long as he can take his walker to 1B.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I for one like it

1. we gave up some two no name 'prospects'

2. we all know we needed a RH hitting 1B. Conine is a plus because he can also play the outfield

3. he is cheaper than Craig Wilson and only has one year left on his contract. We all hope Votto is ready soon so signing someone like Wilson to a fat contract would be a bad move

4. I believe plays better defense than Wilson

5. I wonder what is the deal with Wilson? Krisky keeps things close to the vest so we will never know. Did Krisky not like his offense? defense? did Wilson want too much money? did he not want to play for the Reds?

6. Wayne has the guts to waive Harris and not keep him on the roster to 'save face' regarding 'The Trade'

7. Net result: Conine replaces Aurillia. Costs less for 2007. No committment beyond. Two no name prospects given up and two high level draft picks received.

Do the Reds still get the draft picks if Conine retires instead of signing with another team? Personally, I'm not even sure I would've been willing to trade Brendan Harris for Conine, let alone Moran, Key, and DFAing Harris. However, I really like that Krivsky didn't break the bank to get Wilson, and if the Reds really do get two high draft picks out of it, I think it's a good move. Thank you, Will M, for putting it all in perspective.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 12-21-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: just wanted to add more

Ex-Tree

I was looking through his stats from last season, and he had an OPS of 1.655 against Milton last year. Feel free to add your own punchline.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Conine plays the outfield like Dmitri Young "plays" third base -- poorly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Argos View Post
    I was looking through his stats from last season, and he had an OPS of 1.655 against Milton last year. Feel free to add your own punchline.
    That's 0.234 below league average.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    That's 0.234 below league average.
    How is THAT possible? Not enough AB's probably...
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    40 year old platoon guy who will make $2 million this year.

Stupendous. WK, you have outdone yourself once again.
    You guys actually going to pay to see these types of players play in 07 ?

Castellini raises ticket prices to see his performers and this is what he offers the fans?

Moeller, Hamilton, Livingston, Crosby, Conine Who will be the Reds MVP !
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-21-2006 at 03:53 PM.

This is not a bad move. I hope that we can trade Harris or he clears waivers and we can keep him in the minors.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...2/d21/c1765845
    Reds acquire Conine from Phillies
    12/21/2006 3:06 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- In pursuit of a right-handed hitter this offseason, the Reds acquired veteran Jeff Conine from the Phillies for two Minor Leaguers on Thursday.
    Last season, Conine batted .268 with 10 home runs and 66 RBIs for the Orioles and Phillies. He was dealt from Baltimore to Philadelphia on Aug. 27.

A 16-year veteran, and two-time All-Star in 1994-95, Conine is a .286 career hitter. He was a member of the Marlins' World Series championship teams in 1997 and 2003.

Cincinnati wanted a versatile player that could play first base and Conine would fit that bill. He's played 935 games at first base and 928 games in the outfield over the course of his career.

To make room on the Reds' 40-man roster, infielder Brendan Harris was designated for assignment.

Going to Philadelphia are infielder Brad Key and outfielder Javon Moran. Key spent last season with Class A Dayton and Sarasota, while Moran spent time in Sarasota and at Double-A Chattanooga.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Re: I for one like it

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1. we gave up some two no name 'prospects'

2. we all know we needed a RH hitting 1B. Conine is a plus because he can also play the outfield

3. he is cheaper than Craig Wilson and only has one year left on his contract. We all hope Votto is ready soon so signing someone like Wilson to a fat contract would be a bad move

4. I believe plays better defense than Wilson

5. I wonder what is the deal with Wilson? Krisky keeps things close to the vest so we will never know. Did Krisky not like his offense? defense? did Wilson want too much money? did he not want to play for the Reds?

6. Wayne has the guts to waive Harris and not keep him on the roster to 'save face' regarding 'The Trade'

7. Net result: Conine replaces Aurillia. Costs less for 2007. No committment beyond. Two no name prospects given up and two high level draft picks received.
    Excellent post. The Reds needed a platoon right handed hitter. This is not the place to drop a ton of money or enter a long-term contract. Conine is the type of guy you acquire to fill that role.

It should leave money for a decent pitching addition. That is where you spend the money. Hopefully, now that the Reds have awakened, they will get one.

If the Reds decided they didn't want Harris or Moran anymore, that shows me that they are evaluating their talent and making judgments. Fine with me. Moran was, I think, eligible for Rule V and wasn't selected. Let's not exaggerate his market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I'm ok with it. As long as he can take his walker to 1B.

Better hope that Geritol isn't on the MLB banned substance list.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

And the lines for season tickets get longer today I am sure.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    I bet they doubled easily.

Of course multiplying by 0 always yields the same result....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    I think that Castellini is counting on Chicago, St. Louis, Houston and Milwaukee providing the entertainment this year at the GABP. While he and some of the investors recover some of their initial investment.

Turn Off Ads?