Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zack Greinke?

Cruisin' for trouble

Zack Greinke?

The Royals are considering trading Zack Greinke. Greinke is having a good year and his contract is 1.4M this year (not sure the length of the contract).

What would it take to land Greinke? Would you consider a package including Edwin and Stubbs for Greinke, putting Kepp at 3rd when he returned?

Greinke would certainly solidify the rotation and allow Bailey and Maloney more time to develop.
    Last edited by GoReds; 06-01-2008 at 09:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Zack Grienke?

I would do that trade in a heartbeat, unfortunately, I think it'd take a lot more than that to pry him away from KC. Good young pitching is so hard to find, I'm astonished that a team like the Royals are trying to trade him.

I don't know what the Royals would be looking for, but it probably wouldn't include a 3rd baseman.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

It may simply be a matter of economics. Greinke has 4 years of MLB experience, and I would guess he is getting close to being arbitration-eligible, if not free agency. They may simply try and get the best deal for him that they can rather than get nothing when he leaves.

Greinke is in his arb years and having a good season. Still he should still be under control for 2 or 3 more years, I believe. The Royals would probably accept a Haren like package of young talent. They'd almost certainly want a young arm or two and good bats in the OF or middle infield. If the Royals decide to go this route I'd sure try to put together a package for Greinke. Harang-Volquez-Arroyo-Greinke-Cueto would be almost unfair going forward.

I would want the Reds to do what was necessary short of dealing Bruce/Volquez/Cueto/Votto to try and get to Grienke.

I'd headline any package with Bailey and go from there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd headline any package with Bailey and go from there.
    Then they laugh and give their real demands.

Beyond the glory, the fall of Homer Bailey.

Bailey, Maloney, Stubbs, Francisco? Toss in one more A-ball prospect? Give the Royals a Haren-esque offer? Worth pondering...

No way would I undervalue Edwin like that.

Bailey would easily be a starting point, and a good one at that. He's entirely young enough you can still spin the hype on his potential and stuff. This has been Jocketty's speciality if I am not mistaken - that is, shining up the parts and selling them for more than they really are. He did it countless times in St. Louis as I recall.

There are plenty of intriguing prospects behind Bailey. I agree with membangel, try to also sell Stubbs if you can. I still am not sold on his future either way right now, but there's too much gray area - get rid of the risk if you can use it to get a player of Grienke's calibur.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Bailey would easily be a starting point, and a good one at that. He's entirely young enough you can still spin the hype on his potential and stuff. This has been Jocketty's speciality if I am not mistaken - that is, shining up the parts and selling them for more than they really are. He did it countless times in St. Louis as I recall.

There are plenty of intriguing prospects behind Bailey. I agree with membangel, try to also sell Stubbs if you can. I still am not sold on his future either way right now, but there's too much gray area - get rid of the risk if you can use it to get a player of Grienke's calibur.
    Bailey at this point, would at best get a Kyle Lohse type. He is no longer considered a power arm and that is what this board is missing. Steriods? Don't ask me. But the Reds tried HARD to move him over the offseason and they couldn't find takers.

The Reds Thompson,Valaika,Maloney who all probably have more value than Bailey.

If a team like KC wanted to deal a kid that has been pitching the way he has I would have to wonder why. It can't be economics looking at the deals they have been giving to players recently. Meche and Guillen are neither young or have upside and they broke out the wallets for them and yet here this kid is finally putting it together (seemingly) and they wanna deal him? I don't buy it, and if I did I would demand complete access to any medical records, pyschological evals, etc.

He's 5-2 w/ 2.88 ERA, 2 1/2 to 1 K/BB ratio, given up less hits than IP and is avg. nearly 7 IP's per start. For a team who's recent history is starved of pitching?! What gives?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Bailey at this point, would at best get a Kyle Lohse type. He is no longer considered a power arm and that is what this board is missing. Steriods? Don't ask me. But the Reds tried HARD to move him over the offseason and they couldn't find takers.

The Reds Thompson,Valaika,Maloney who all probably have more value than Bailey.
    There is so much wrong with your post, I wouldn't no where to start.

Actually it's easy. It's all wrong.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    This has been Jocketty's speciality if I am not mistaken - that is, shining up the parts and selling them for more than they really are. He did it countless times in St. Louis as I recall.
    Name one part he shined up????

His speacialty was finding teams desparate to trade FA's to be, and then having the money to sign them.

Turn Off Ads?