Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: BP on Votto's contract and hard feelings over his...

Reading today in Fay's column that BP created hard feelings with Bob Castellini with this interview, I found the thread title ironic.

Phillips ticked off a lot of people in the organization with his behavior this year. Bob Castellini was the driving force behind Phillips signing. Phillips basically called Castellini a liar in the Cincinnati Magazine article.

<snip>

Phillips slapped the wrong guy in the face by saying that.
    /r/reds

2. Likes:

mdccclxix (10-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

This is why owners need to leave the baseball to his baseball people.

Otherwise that contract happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

5. Likes:

cincrazy (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Reading today in Fay's column that BP created hard feelings with Bob Castellini with this interview, I found the thread title ironic.
    This is normally where someone says "much ado about nothing," as many did in this thread.

Phillips is the kid that keeps poking the beehive and is surprised when he gets stung.

7. Likes:

Old NDN (10-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This is why owners need to leave the baseball to his baseball people.

Otherwise that contract happens.
    I trust Bobs sense for what's right, but he got burned here. We will see how it gets rectified. Ironically the best baseball move may yet again bring bp back, which if Bob is keeping score may irk him further. I'm ready to move on from bp, the 10 and 5 thing bags it for me. It's just that you will need to sign a big fa just to move the needle forward a bit.

BP will be traded by Christmas

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I could be wrong, but I don't think BP goes anywhere, nor should he. He plays a gold glove 2B. Sure, the second half of this year he fell off. But if you look at when he fell off, it was right at the time he hurt his hand. Normally he is an above average hitting second baseman. I think if you were to bat him in the 2 or even 5 hole, he goes back to being the productive hitter he normally is. I get it that it wasn't bright for BP to make the comments he did. Even if Bob not liking the comments, who realisticly is going to play second base at BP's level. We have NO ONE in the organization that I know of that is even close to BP. I just don't get the trade BP logic right now!!!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I just don't get the trade BP logic right now!!!
    He called the Reds owner a liar and disparaged his profession as a produce magnate. He took a swipe in the media at the guy who had personally interceded to get him the deal that he wanted. Combine that with making the team look bad in the C. Trent video and BP succeeded in making himself radioactive.

If he wants to stay in Cincinnati, BP needs to go hat in hand to Bob C and apologize. Bringing along a box of Bob's favorite cigars wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Unlike most baseball decisions, this isn't just business, it's personal.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 10-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    /r/reds

13. Likes:

AmarilloRed (10-17-2013),Larkin Fan (10-17-2013),membengal (10-17-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-17-2013),Old NDN (10-17-2013),powersackers (10-19-2013),wlf WV (10-18-2013)

If he wants to stay in Cincinnati, BP needs to go hat in hand to Bob C and apologize. Bringing along a box of Bob's favorite cigars wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
    Two individuals looked bad in the C Trent video. Dusty Baker and Brandon Phillips. Dusty is already gone (I understand there were many reasons Dusty was let go, but I think this was part of it).

Phillips apologizing for an interview he was very proud of is about as likely as me running a marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Phillips apologizing for an interview he was very proud of is about as likely as me running a marathon.
    I don't think it will happen, either. If it doesn't, the folks who will be puzzled after the move at why Phillips had to go will have someone to blame besides the owner.
    /r/reds

He called the Reds owner a liar and disparaged his profession as a produce magnate. He took a swipe in the media at the guy who had personally interceded to get him the deal that he wanted. Combine that with making the team look bad in the C. Trent video and BP succeeded in making himself radioactive.

Unlike most baseball decisions, this isn't just business, it's personal.
    No. It has nothing do with any of this and everything to do with his contract.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

No. It has nothing do with any of this and everything to do with his contract.
    So Fay's article is totally incorrect?

It's John Fay. Of course he could be wrong.

If the Reds start running the team based on personality and not skills, that's bad news. Sure, Phillips said some things he probably shouldn't have, but he didn't do anything that was really bad in the grand scheme of things.

Make baseball decisions, not personal decisions.

It's John Fay. Of course he could be wrong.

If the Reds start running the team based on personality and not skills, that's bad news. Sure, Phillips said some things he probably shouldn't have, but he didn't do anything that was really bad in the grand scheme of things.

Perhaps personal aspects can influence business decisions? It is possible the Reds were considering trading Phillips for his contract but his antics this season are pushing the decision forward in the eyes of Cast.

Not everything is black and white when humans are involved.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-18-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-17-2013)

These words sound like they're coming from someone who's never had a coworker who got on the bad side of the boss. I've seen it happen and that coworker didn't last until the end of the calendar year.

After you've been in the working world a while, you learn two things: 1) No one in a workplace is irreplaceable. 2) No one becomes more replaceable than when they get on the wrong side of the boss. I doubt that many of us have been in the working world as long as Bob C.
    /r/reds

22. Likes:

powersackers (10-19-2013),wlf WV (10-18-2013)

These words sound like they're coming from someone who's never had a coworker who got on the bad side of the boss. I've seen it happen and that coworker didn't last until the end of the calendar year.

After you've been in the working world a while, you learn two things: 1) No one in a workplace is irreplaceable. 2) No one becomes more replaceable than when they get on the wrong side of the boss. I doubt that many of us have been in the working world as long as Bob C.
    I suggested this before, but after thinking about it some more, i think this post is exactly correct and BP is gone.

Nothing whatsoever to do with his play or his contract.

First the C. Trent thing which Bob obviously didn't like according to the reports. Second the article about BP's contract. Third saying the team choked.

Just guessing that Bob told WJ after the "choke" comments: Walt, get what you can, don't want that player on my team next year.

It's not BP's play, not his contract. I think BP is gone whether the Reds get a good deal or not.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with such a decision. I just believe this will happen.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-17-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Turn Off Ads?